Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why is the left having fits about the new Virginia School Requirement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post

You said: Parents can always move their offspring to other scholastic institutions, or home school...
    The point being that I did not use the phrase "private school".

Exactly, so why not offer an alterative to parents?
    If these lessons are part of that school's curriculum, why should it? Schools do not offer a pick and mix education. And where does parental choice end? Should schools offer alternatives for any parents who do not wish their children to study subjects the parents deem to be inappropriate? Should flat-earthers and creationists have alternatives provided for geography and biology lessons?

Why wouldn't it be? Like I said these parents don't want the public schools, which they are also paying for, teaching their kids morally reprehensible ideas. Why are public schools in the business of sex in the first place?
    You appear unable to comment on this without using emotional terminology. What is considered to be "morally reprehensible" when it comes to teaching young people/adults about sex and sexuality is highly subjective.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      You really are a wretched old woman, and you seem to care nothing about honest dialogue, but only about arguing meanings of words to avoid actually answering questions.

You CONSTANTLY hide behind "I didn't type those exact words" when the meaning was clear to everybody who read what you said.

In other words, a .

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You really are a wretched old woman, and you seem to care nothing about honest dialogue, but only about arguing meanings of words to avoid actually answering questions.
        My emphasis. From which emboldened comment it is clear you have not the rest of my reply nor my earlier ones.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is really the only option to public schools. Of course 'school choice' would solve all of this but the leftists fight against that...

If these lessons are part of that school's curriculum, why should it? Schools do not offer a pick and mix education. And where does parental choice end? Should schools offer alternatives for any parents who do not wish their children to study subjects the parents deem to be inappropriate? Should flat-earthers and creationists have alternatives provided for geography and biology lessons?
          Flat earth, or creationism are not in and of them selves moral questions. Sexual behavior is.

You appear unable to comment on this without using emotional terminology. What is considered to be "morally reprehensible" when it comes to teaching young people/adults about sex and sexuality is highly subjective.
          No it is fact, these behaviors are morally reprehensible. And since is so SUBJECTIVE, why not give parents the option to opt their kids out? In the late 60s when I started High School, parents had to give written permission for us to attend sex education classes. What is wrong with that? Why do you insist otherwise?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That is really the only option to public schools.
            She has shown in the past a profound ignorance of our education system in the US.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My emphasis. From which emboldened comment it is clear you have not the rest of my reply nor my earlier ones.
              You're still a wretched old woman who is only here to do battle.

Comment

That is really the only option to public schools. Of course 'school choice' would solve all of this but the leftists fight against that...
                What is your issue with a broad and liberal education policy? Or have I used offensive words in that previous sentence?

Flat earth, or creationism are not in and of them selves moral questions. Sexual behavior is.
                I would be cautious in referring to the beliefs of creationists or flat earthers as being "not in and of them selves moral questions" as once again we are back to what is understood by moral [i.e. the mores of a culture]. Such beliefs may contain within them notions that may well be at odds with many generally accepted values surrounding present societal behaviour and attitudes.

No it is fact, these behaviors are morally reprehensible.
                If you are referring to LGBTQ+ behaviours your comment is not a "fact" it is your own highly subjective opinion. You really must learn to differentiate between the two.

And since is so SUBJECTIVE, why not give parents the option to opt their kids out? In the late 60s when I started High School, parents had to give written permission for us to attend sex education classes. What is wrong with that? Why do you insist otherwise?
                Should schools offer a pick and mix education whereby parents are free to choose which classes their offspring attend and which they do not?

And why does it always come down to sex and sex-ed?

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Should schools offer a pick and mix education whereby parents are free to choose which classes their offspring attend and which they do not?
                  Better - school choice where the parents get to decide what schools to utilize to educate their children, whether a voucher system or a tax credit.

Comment

It's amazing how staunchly ANTI-CHOICE the "pro choice" crowd is when regarding the topic of school choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                      What is your issue with a broad and liberal education policy? Or have I used offensive words in that previous sentence?
                      I think I made my objections pretty clear. Again, why not offer school choice? What do you have against choice?

If you are referring to LGBTQ+ behaviours your comment is not a "fact" it is your own highly subjective opinion. You really must learn to differentiate between the two.

Since you agreed that sexual questions are highly subjective, unlike 2+2 equaling 4, why are you so against giving parents a choice? What do you have against choice?

And why does it always come down to sex and sex-ed?
                      Many parents, Christian, Muslim, Jewish as we as secular have a problem with these sexual questions being approached. Again, what do you have against choice? Of must everyone think like you on these questions?

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It's amazing how staunchly ANTI-CHOICE the "pro choice" crowd is when regarding the topic of school choice.
                        Back when Lawrence, KS was being settled in the mid 1800s, an old southern gentleman noted that they built the school house before they built a church. So that everyone will believe as they (Yankees) do...It hasn't changed...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I would like an answer to a specific question, that I have asked a number of times: what is wrong with informing parents when these sexual topics come up, and offering them an alterative if they don't think they are appropriate for their kids.

Suggesting that parents who object to morally questionable sexual teachings should put their kids in a private school is no answer...
                          It's an evasion.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

She has shown in the past a profound ignorance of our education system in the US.
                            Never bothered to but that never stopped her.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Better - school choice where the parents get to decide what schools to utilize to educate their children, whether a voucher system or a tax credit.
                              I wonder if that might lead to children being taught at establishments that promote [among other things] pseudo-science, quackery, and religious [or political] intolerance. Parental choice is not [necessarily] the most suitable method by which to decide what is best for a child's education, because some parents have some very bizarre and dangerous views.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                                I wonder if that might lead to children being taught at establishments that promote [among other things] pseudo-science, quackery, and religious [or political] intolerance.
                                Yes, that's EXACTLY why parents want their children out of the public school cesspools.

Parental choice is not [necessarily] the most suitable method by which to decide what is best for a child's education, because some parents have some very bizarre and dangerous views.
                                So, as usual, punish everybody because there might be some who will game the system. Classic liberalthink.

Comment