Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CPAC ambiguous support for Putin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPAC ambiguous support for Putin

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/01/cpac-ukraine-russia-tweet/

CPAC backpedals on pro-Russia tweet as some U.S. conservatives back Putin

The prominent conservative group decried ‘gift-giving to Ukraine’ while adopting Putin’s view of ‘Ukraine-occupied territories’

Prominent Republicans are digging in against American support for Ukraine despite Russia’s threats to use nuclear weapons and evidence of mass graves and war crimes facilitated by Moscow.

The Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday tweeted — and then hours later deleted — a message that called on Democrats to “end the gift-giving to Ukraine” while featuring a fluttering Russian flag. The tweet also referred to “Ukraine-occupied territories,” appearing to legitimize Russian President Vladimir Putin’s claims to annex provinces based on a referendum that the U.S. and allies view as illegal.

CPAC chairman Matt Schlapp on Saturday said the tweet did not clear the normal approval process because he was traveling for a conference in Australia. “Due to my travel into a distant time zone it was never approved per usual,” he said in a text message.

In a statement, CPAC expressed support for Ukraine but maintained opposition to American aid for the embattled country.

“We must oppose Putin, but American taxpayers should not be shouldering the vast majority of the cost,” the statement said. “The tweet belittled the plight of the innocent Ukrainian people.”

CPAC has repeatedly flirted with pro-Putin views in recent years, including hosting pro-Russian Hungarian prime minister Victor Orban at a Dallas conference in August.

CPAC is not alone among American conservatives in opposing Ukrainian aid despite Putin’s invasion. Fox News host Tucker Carlson has alleged U.S. sabotage for leaks in a Russian gas pipeline to Europe, baseless claims that have earned him airtime on Russian state television. Former president Donald Trump also posted a message on his Truth Social platform offering himself as a negotiator for the conflict.

At a Trump rally in Michigan on Saturday, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) reiterated her opposition to U.S. aid to Ukraine and said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky should negotiate a peace settlement with Russia.

“We have so many problems here at home, I cannot even think about sending our money over to fund a proxy war with Russia,” she said in an interview. “Zelensky doesn’t run the United States government. He is not our president, but for some reason Joe Biden bends over every single time. … The American people don’t care about that war over there.”

At the Michigan rally, Trump suggested he could have prevented Putin from invading Ukraine.

“That war would never ever have happened if I were president and it didn’t happen," Trump said.

Many Republicans have followed Trump’s lead in waffling on Putin, whom Trump avoided condemning and sided with over his own intelligence agencies in doubting Russian interference in the 2016 election. Relations with Ukraine became partisan during Trump’s first impeachment, after he tried to use U.S. aid to Ukraine to pressure Zelensky to announce an investigation into Biden and his son Hunter’s business dealings in the country.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

CPAC chairman Matt Schlapp on Saturday said the tweet did not clear the normal approval process because he was traveling for a conference in Australia. “Due to my travel into a distant time zone it was never approved per usual,” he said in a text message.

It sounds like somebody was trolling rather than conveying an official CPAC position.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It sounds like somebody was trolling rather than conveying an official CPAC position.
      There is more to the problem referenced other than the embarrassing post.

Trolling?!?!?! It was posted by a Republican!
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

There is more to the problem referenced other than the embarrassing post.

Trolling?!?!?! It was posted by a Republican!
        The point is, the tweet wasn't conveying an official position of CPAC.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Democrat Hank Johnson said Guam would tip over if it became overpopulated. Since this was claimed by a Democrat, it must be the position of all Democrats!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Democrat Hank Johnson said Guam would tip over if it became overpopulated. Since this was claimed by a Democrat, it must be the position of all Democrats!!!!
            Back to the real world unless you are a chicken little fan. There are more Republicans involved here in questionable views concerning the Ukraine invasion by Russia.

Frank

Comment

That is only a minor point, though a problem. The major point is the questionable views of other elected Republicans concerning the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Read the whole article.

Frank

Comment

Back to the real world unless you are a chicken little fan. There are more Republicans involved here in questionable views concerning the Ukraine invasion by Russia.
                Back to the real world, CPAC didn't backpedal on a position it never took.

And is good reason not to waste time with the Washington Post.

Comment

Back to the real world, CPAC didn't backpedal on a position it never took.

And it good reason not to waste time with the Washington Post.
                  Back to the real world unless you are a chicken little fan. The real problem is that there are more Republicans involved here in questionable views concerning the Ukraine invasion by Russia.

Read the whole article.

Frank

Comment

Back to the real world unless you are a chicken little fan. The real problem is that there are more Republicans involved here in questionable views concerning the Ukraine invasion by Russia.

Read the whole article.
                    I did. Those are only "questionable views" for someone who doesn't question the status quo. If Biden said we should send a trillion dollars to Turkey you would probably applaud him.

Comment

. and a number of elected Republican representatives,

I did. Those are only "questionable views" for someone who doesn't question the status quo. If Biden said we should send a trillion dollars to Turkey you would probably applaud him.
                      What would you propose to deal with the invasion of Ukraine resulting the systematic slaughter, rape and torture of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians, kidnapping of of over 100.00 children, and the targeting of schools, hospitals and shopping malls with missiles, bombs and artilary. This is only a partial list of Putin's goal of ethnic cleansing to create a 'Fatherland' for ethnic Russians.. You sound like a Chamberlain apologist for Hitler's Germany. A similar view presented by others here. Though fortunately Biden's proposals to support Ukraine has Republican support.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-02-2022, 11:43 AM.

Frank

Comment

What would you propose to deal with the invasion of Ukraine resulting the systematic slaughter, rape and torture of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians, kidnapping of of over 100.00 children, and the targeting of schools, hospitals and shopping malls with missiles, bombs and artilary. This is only a partial list of Putin's goal of ethnic cleansing to create a 'Fatherland' for ethnic Russians.. You sound like a Chamberlain apologist for Hitler's Germany. A similar view presented by others here. Though fortunately Biden's proposals to support Ukraine has Republican support.
                        Whatabout(ism)

OK, you want the US to send billions upon billions to Ukraine for humanitarian purposes. You think the US makes such wonderful choices and it couldn't possibly be making mistakes with Ukraine, what do you propose for Africa? Be consistent now ...

https://www.blackagendareport.com/rw...nda-and-uganda

Rwanda and Uganda’s M23 Militia Reappears to Slaughter and Plunder in DRC; US backs Rwanda and Uganda

Rwanda and Uganda’s M23 militia have returned to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), once again slaughtering Congolese people to plunder their resources. To understand this, we have to return to March 2013, after M23 had been terrorizing DRC’s North Kivu Province for a year. The UN Group of Experts on the Democratic Republic of the Congo reported that Rwanda and Uganda, but most of all Rwanda, were commanding and supplying M23.

The UN Security Council then created a Combat Force Intervention Brigade within the UN peacekeeping operation to drive them out. Usually, the UN Peacekeepers’ task is simply to protect civilians, but the Combat Intervention Brigade had an unprecedented combat mandate—to work with the Congolese army to root out M23. They succeeded, under the heroic leadership of Congolese Colo nel Mamadou N'Dala Moustapha , but the “international community” then engineered a “negotiated peace” that handed the victory to Rwanda, Uganda, and their M23, and Colonel Mamadou was tragically assassinated. I asked Maurice Carney, Executive Director of Friends of the Congo about how that happened...

Comment

Without a doubt, the far right love Putin far too much. Their project always is to separate power from the people. Putin’s Russia is a prime example.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

What would you propose to deal with the invasion of Ukraine ...
                            What would I do? I would turn the mess over to Europe. It is their problem. They have as much money, manpower and technology as the US. I wouldn't ask the EU to assist the US in dealing with the invasion going on at the southern border, why should they ask us to assist them in protecting Ukraine?

Comment

Whatabout(ism)

OK, you want the US to send billions upon billions to Ukraine for humanitarian purposes. You think the US makes such wonderful choices and it couldn't possibly be making mistakes with Ukraine, what do you propose for Africa? Be consistent now ...

https://www.blackagendareport.com/rw...nda-and-uganda

Rwanda and Uganda’s M23 Militia Reappears to Slaughter and Plunder in DRC; US backs Rwanda and Uganda

Rwanda and Uganda’s M23 militia have returned to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), once again slaughtering Congolese people to plunder their resources. To understand this, we have to return to March 2013, after M23 had been terrorizing DRC’s North Kivu Province for a year. The UN Group of Experts on the Democratic Republic of the Congo reported that Rwanda and Uganda, but most of all Rwanda, were commanding and supplying M23.

The UN Security Council then created a Combat Force Intervention Brigade within the UN peacekeeping operation to drive them out. Usually, the UN Peacekeepers’ task is simply to protect civilians, but the Combat Intervention Brigade had an unprecedented combat mandate—to work with the Congolese army to root out M23. They succeeded, under the heroic leadership of Congolese Colo nel Mamadou N'Dala Moustapha , but the “international community” then engineered a “negotiated peace” that handed the victory to Rwanda, Uganda, and their M23, and Colonel Mamadou was tragically assassinated. I asked Maurice Carney, Executive Director of Friends of the Congo about how that happened...
                              DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!!! Again . . .

What would you propose to deal with the invasion of Ukraine resulting the systematic slaughter, rape and torture of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians, kidnapping of over 100,000 children, and the targeting of schools, hospitals and shopping malls with missiles, bombs and artilary. This is only a partial list of Putin's goal of ethnic cleansing to create a 'Fatherland' for ethnic Russians.. You sound like a Chamberlain apologist for Hitler's Germany. A similar view presented by others here. Though fortunately Biden's proposals to support Ukraine has Republican support.

There are more broader issues here, such as Putin's stated imperialist plans to do the same for all of Eastern Europe and the old Soviet Asia. He has appealed to old Czarist traditional claims of imperialism.

Please respond to the issue of the thread!!!
                              Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-02-2022, 11:58 AM.

Frank

Comment