Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

CPAC ambiguous support for Putin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBJECT!!!! Again . . .

What would you propose to deal with the invasion of Ukraine resulting the systematic slaughter, rape and torture of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians, kidnapping of of over 100.00 children, and the targeting of schools, hospitals and shopping malls with missiles, bombs and artilary. This is only a partial list of Putin's goal of ethnic cleansing to create a 'Fatherland' for ethnic Russians.. You sound like a Chamberlain apologist for Hitler's Germany. A similar view presented by others here. Though fortunately Biden's proposals to support Ukraine has Republican support.
    IOW, you have no answer for consistency. Got it.

I answered (above) without all of the hyperbole attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

IOW, you have no answer for consistency. Got it.

I answered (above) without all of the hyperbole attached.
      Got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What would you propose to deal with the invasion of Ukraine resulting the systematic slaughter, rape and torture of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians, kidnapping of of over 100.00 children, and the targeting of schools, hospitals and shopping malls with missiles, bombs and artilary. This is only a partial list of Putin's goal of ethnic cleansing to create a 'Fatherland' for ethnic Russians.. You sound like a Chamberlain apologist for Hitler's Germany. A similar view presented by others here. Though fortunately Biden's proposals to support Ukraine has Republican support.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

What would I do? I would turn the mess over to Europe. It is their problem. They have as much money, manpower and technology as the US. I wouldn't ask the EU to assist the US in dealing with the invasion going on at the southern border, why should they ask us to assist them in protecting Ukraine?
        They also have a central bank (ECB) run by a WEF globalist who can print all the money they need just as easy as Jerome Powell can, and will likely be much more inclined to do it for the sake of the war.

Comment

Got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you're missing a post. I answered already. Look harder.

Comment

I think you're missing a post. I answered already. Look harder.
            Which post????
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Which post????

https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...64#post1418364

Comment

. and a number of elected Republican representatives,

I reject the premise that the United States is obligated to propose any action in a border dispute between two corrupt governments that has nothing to do with us. Let Putin and Zelinsky settle their differences on their own. Certainly we should provide diplomatic support in the interest of negotiating peace, but lining Zelinsky's pockets with billions in US dollars should have never been an option. This conflict would have been over months ago if the US had simply minded its own business.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

What would I do? I would turn the mess over to Europe. It is their problem. They have as much money, manpower and technology as the US. I wouldn't ask the EU to assist the US in dealing with the invasion going on at the southern border, why should they ask us to assist them in protecting Ukraine?
                  This is not an answer. Europe is supporting Ukraine, but no, Europe is not capable of dealing with the military resources of Russia and the invasion of Ukraine alone even if they committed all their resources. The only reasons for the success is the tenacity and capable Ukrainians and the USA support. It is true even Israel dodge support they could give concerning protection against missiles.

You are basically offering the same 'Chamberlain' response to turn over the problem to Europe like Chamberlain proposed for Hitler, and avoiding the fact that this is a much broader world problem of Russia's imperialist goals for all of Eastern Europe, and Soviet Asia Russia. We are a part of NATO and a shared responsibility for dealing with Russian aggression in Eastern Europe since WWII. Your response would be like the isolationist response in WWII to let Europe take care of the Hitler problem by themselves.

Like Mountain man, No you did not address the issues of the most extreme military response against the civilian population that amounts to a Hitler type ethnic cleansing to make room for ethic Russians.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-02-2022, 01:02 PM.

Frank

Comment

This is not an answer.
                    It is an answer. It's just one you don't like.

Europe is supporting Ukraine, but no, Europe is not capable of dealing with the military resources of Russia and the invasion of Ukraine alone even if they committed all their resources.
                    Wrong. As of 2020, The US, China, and the EU are all neck and neck as far as the size of our economies.* Europe's NATO countries have essentially the same technology as the US, and superior technology than Russia.

In 2017, the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the European Union with 27 Member States (EU) represented 16.0% of world GDP, expressed in Purchasing Power Standards (PPS). China and the United States were the two largest economies, with shares of 16.4% and 16.3% respectively. May 19, 2020
                    * https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/docume...4-7c2b509dda8e

The only reasons for the success is the tenacity and capable Ukrainians and the USA support. It is true even Israel dodge support they could give concerning protection against missiles.

You are basically offering the same 'Chamberlain' response to turn over the problem to Europe like Chamberlain proposed for Hitler
                    That is a woefully bad analogy. There is nothing relatable to Chamberlain and Germany happening here.

and avoiding the fact that this is a much broader world problem of Russia's imperialist goals for all of Eastern Europe, and Soviet Asia Russia. We are a part of NATO and a shared responsibility for dealing with Russian aggression in Eastern Europe since WWII. Your response would be like the isolationist response in WWII to let Europe take care of the Hitler problem by themselves.
                    Again, nothing relatable. Europe was weak and fractured in the 1930s, not so today. The Soviets came out of WWII invigorated, not so today with Russia. The US came out of WWII an uncontested powerhouse economically and militarily, not so today. US involvement in NATO is archaic.

Like Mountain man, No you did not address the issues of the most extreme military response against the civilian population that amounts to a Hitler type ethnic cleansing to make room for ethic Russians.
                    It is because you paint an incorrect picture of the situation.

Comment

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/01/cpac-ukraine-russia-tweet/

CPAC backpedals on pro-Russia tweet as some U.S. conservatives back Putin

The prominent conservative group decried ‘gift-giving to Ukraine’ while adopting Putin’s view of ‘Ukraine-occupied territories’

Prominent Republicans are digging in against American support for Ukraine despite Russia’s threats to use nuclear weapons and evidence of mass graves and war crimes facilitated by Moscow.

The Conservative Political Action Conference on Friday tweeted — and then hours later deleted — a message that called on Democrats to “end the gift-giving to Ukraine” while featuring a fluttering Russian flag. The tweet also referred to “Ukraine-occupied territories,” appearing to legitimize Russian President Vladimir Putin’s claims to annex provinces based on a referendum that the U.S. and allies view as illegal.

CPAC chairman Matt Schlapp on Saturday said the tweet did not clear the normal approval process because he was traveling for a conference in Australia. “Due to my travel into a distant time zone it was never approved per usual,” he said in a text message.

In a statement, CPAC expressed support for Ukraine but maintained opposition to American aid for the embattled country.

“We must oppose Putin, but American taxpayers should not be shouldering the vast majority of the cost,” the statement said. “The tweet belittled the plight of the innocent Ukrainian people.”

CPAC has repeatedly flirted with pro-Putin views in recent years, including hosting pro-Russian Hungarian prime minister Victor Orban at a Dallas conference in August.

CPAC is not alone among American conservatives in opposing Ukrainian aid despite Putin’s invasion. Fox News host Tucker Carlson has alleged U.S. sabotage for leaks in a Russian gas pipeline to Europe, baseless claims that have earned him airtime on Russian state television. Former president Donald Trump also posted a message on his Truth Social platform offering himself as a negotiator for the conflict.

At a Trump rally in Michigan on Saturday, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) reiterated her opposition to U.S. aid to Ukraine and said Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky should negotiate a peace settlement with Russia.

“We have so many problems here at home, I cannot even think about sending our money over to fund a proxy war with Russia,” she said in an interview. “Zelensky doesn’t run the United States government. He is not our president, but for some reason Joe Biden bends over every single time. … The American people don’t care about that war over there.”

At the Michigan rally, Trump suggested he could have prevented Putin from invading Ukraine.

“That war would never ever have happened if I were president and it didn’t happen," Trump said.

Many Republicans have followed Trump’s lead in waffling on Putin, whom Trump avoided condemning and sided with over his own intelligence agencies in doubting Russian interference in the 2016 election. Relations with Ukraine became partisan during Trump’s first impeachment, after he tried to use U.S. aid to Ukraine to pressure Zelensky to announce an investigation into Biden and his son Hunter’s business dealings in the country.

© Copyright Original Source

Sadly, not surprised they got caught showing their true colors. In the last year or two the Republican party has seemed to be moving toward being the Putin party.

Comment

Democrat Hank Johnson said Guam would tip over if it became overpopulated. Since this was claimed by a Democrat, it must be the position of all Democrats!!!!
                        Except that was Hank Johnson. Not the DNC tweeting that out. analogy fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The point is, the tweet wasn't conveying an official position of CPAC.
                          Or so they are claiming now that they saw the backlash they got for the tweet.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Or so they are claiming now that they saw the backlash they got for the tweet.....
                            I see no reason to assume they're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I see no reason to assume they're lying.
                              I see no reason to assume they're telling the truth given it came from their own official means of communication.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I see no reason to assume they're telling the truth given it came from their own official means of communication.
                                As they explained, it was a rogue post that didn't go through the usual channels. That is far more plausible than your conspiracy theory that it was a fully sanctioned official statement, and then they all went, "Oh no! We weren't expecting this wholly predictable backlash! We better claim it was posted in error!" But that sort of nuttery seems to appeal to you lately. I'm not sure why.

Comment