Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Educators again tell parents to butt out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educators again tell parents to butt out

Parents' Rights advocates in Southington, Vermont are upset after a 10th grade English teacher in a local distributed a vocabulary packet to students titled “Vocabulary for conversations about race, gender, equality and inclusivity," which lectures students about their "white privilege."

Aside from what does any of that have to do with teaching an English class, the packet includes such things as

Racism is a systemic issue. If you look the other way or deny that these systems exist, you are part of the problem. You can know in your heart that you don’t hate anyone but still contribute to their oppression.

And

No individual is personally responsible for what white people have done or the historical decisions of the American government, but you are responsible for whether you are currently upholding the systems that elevate white people over people of color

The parents scheduled a "Education, Not Indoctrination" rally for last night.

When asked about the protest, Southington Superintendent of Schools Steven Madancy said that "The district welcomes the involvement and voice of our families emphasizing the importance of respectful and civil discourse leading to optimal outcomes for all our students."

But not all educators agree.

Some are making it clear that the parents should butt out and mind their own business. That they are in charge of what their children learn in school and don't need anyone from outside sticking their noses into school business.

62 faculty from Southern Connecticut State University signed a letter declaring that the parents were threatening free speech and that the complaints were the equivalent to book burning.

Source: ‘Attack on free speech’ like controversy over Southington vocab handout having chilling effect on teachers, SCSU faculty say

Southington — Dozens of Southern Connecticut State University faculty members sent a letter to the Southington Board of Education Monday, calling the opposition to a sophomore English teacher’s vocabulary packet on race and gender a “politically motivated attack on free speech.”

Signed by 62 SCSU faculty members, the letter voices support for the Southington High School teacher, criticizes the board for what the SCSU faculty perceive as engagement in partisan politics, and refutes the claim that the teacher’s assignment was critical race theory — a legal framework taught at the post-graduate level.

[...]

The SCSU faculty said that while parents are free to engage in or refrain from speaking about topics concerning sexuality and racism in their own homes, they should not manage classroom instruction. The letter encourages districts to stand behind all teachers.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

That's mighty generous of them to concede that parents are permitted to talk about things in their own homes.

As for "refutes the claim that the teacher’s assignment was critical race theory," the NAACP Legal Defense Fund defines CRT as "an academic and legal framework that denotes that systemic racism is part of American society." Go back and look at the two boxed texts. Looks like that fits the criteria.

And, let's face it, considering the abysmal state of public education in America today, telling parents to shut up and to put all of their trust in the teachers actually being responsible in how they instruct their children, amounts to dereliction of parental duty.

It isn't that Families for Freedom are inflexible in what they are asking for, saying they aren't asking for the topic to be banned, but for it to be taught as theory, not fact -- which as the excerpts indicate, it is.

And again, why is this being taught in an English class in the first place?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Teachers have felt this way for a very long time. It's only recently that they have become emboldened to say publicly what they have always believed privately.

I've told the story before about a conference I had with my daughter's first grade teachers (this would have been around 2013). They were concerned because she was having trouble memorizing a list of sight words, so I mentioned that my wife and I had been helping her at home using a book that taught phonetics. One of the teachers glared at me with undisguised contempt while the other tried to dissuade me from using "unapproved curriculum". That was my first insight into exactly where parents ranked in the opinions of teachers.
    Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-30-2022, 08:01 AM.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

school choice.jpg
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If they were reading literature in the class that had anything to do with racism or social justice this packet seems totally ordinary. It would also be appropriate in a social studies classroom. Neither of the quoted statements are inaccurate in any way. Anyone who would complain about this needs to find a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            The parents scheduled a "Education, Not Indoctrination" rally for last night.
            There are folks who think teachers can or would indoctrinate students, and folks who've stood in front of a classroom trying to teach, who know better. Put down your phone, stop texting, quit flirting with Dougie and can the conversations so people looking to learn can hear above your roar. That's what it's really like.

Indoctrination, yeah, right.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. It's embarrassing how obvious it is that you don't know what you're talking about. This is fully cringe-worthy even before I look through the finger gap shielding my eyes and rescue my jaw from the ground at how anyone could mention the NAACP and a definition for Critical Race Theory as if there was some connection between the two.

Clueless. Your pogrom against teachers has gone on long enough.

But there's a limit to how much wrong on the internet I'm willing to fix, so go ahead, choose stupid. I can see you won't be lacking for company.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

There are folks who think teachers can or would indoctrinate students, and folks who've stood in front of a classroom trying to teach, who know better. Put down your phone, stop texting, quit flirting with Dougie and can the conversations so people looking to learn can hear above your roar. That's what it's really like.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about. It's embarrassing how obvious it is that you don't know what you're talking about. This is fully cringe-worthy even before I look through the finger gap shielding my eyes and rescue my jaw from the ground at how anyone could mention the NAACP and a definition for Critical Race Theory as if there was some connection between the two.

But there's a limit to how much wrong on the internet I'm willing to fix, so go ahead, choose stupid. I can see you won't be lacking for company.
              Thank you for the textbook example of the sort of entitled arrogance we have come to expect from those who call themselves "educators".

Comment

So, it is your position that there are no ideological, activist, or partisan teachers on schools who use their pulpit at the front of the class to advocate for their agenda?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                  If they were reading literature in the class that had anything to do with racism or social justice this packet seems totally ordinary. It would also be appropriate in a social studies classroom. Neither of the quoted statements are inaccurate in any way. Anyone who would complain about this needs to find a hobby.
                  Maybe schools have radically changed since I attended one but there is no situation in English Lit where a lesson plan that includes crap like

Racism is a systemic issue. If you look the other way or deny that these systems exist, you are part of the problem. You can know in your heart that you don’t hate anyone but still contribute to their oppression.

And

No individual is personally responsible for what white people have done or the historical decisions of the American government, but you are responsible for whether you are currently upholding the systems that elevate white people over people of color.

should be included.

Comment

Once again we are treated to a whole lot of empty statements presented as fact from you. Not a whit of supporting evidence to validate your declarations, just repeating them again again confusing repetition for evidence.

You really need to break this habit of yours.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

So, it is your position that there are no ideological, activist, or partisan teachers on schools who use their pulpit at the front of the class to advocate for their agenda?
                      I wonder if he has ever heard of Liberals of TikTok where the social media posts from teachers themselves boasting about how they are indoctrinating kids are reposted. The WaPo got so upset that they doxxed the person doing it in order to intimidate them into silence.

Didn't work.

IIRC, someone posting in this thread actually supported that.

Comment

Lolol, that's quite a rant for someone who claims that it's not happening.

But somehow you didn't manage to address the observable fact of what the teacher in the OP sent home.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I wonder if he has ever heard of Liberals of TikTok where the social media posts from teachers themselves boasting about how they are indoctrinating kids are reposted..

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I want to be very clear -- my problem with the public schools is NOT the teachers, but the union. I've been very consistent about this.

Our public schools are failing miserably. There needs to be a reset to focus on the core disciplines rather than all the liberal social engineering crap that the unions foster.
                            The unions care about their dues paying members - they do NOT represent the students or 'good education'.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I want to be very clear -- my problem with the public schools is NOT the teachers, but the union. I've been very consistent about this.

Our public schools are failing miserably. There needs to be a reset to focus on the core disciplines rather than all the liberal social engineering crap that the unions foster.
                              The unions care about their dues paying members - they do NOT represent the students or 'good education'.
                              Sorry, but this sounds suspiciously like the "rank and file" nonsense people use to defend the FBI. If the problem is the unions and not the teachers, then why aren't the "rank and file" teachers calling out the unions and demanding change? Instead, they're all going right along with it and arrogantly telling parents to mind their business, despite the fact that educating our children is a parent's business!

Comment