Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A prediction about Justice Kentia Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A prediction about Justice Kentia Jackson

So, It's been tradition at the SCOTUS that the junior justice on the court fetch's coffee, takes the notes, and answers the door during meetings.

Source: https://underneaththeirrobes.blogs.com/main/2005/10/judicial_sighta_2.html

At one point, [Justice Breyer] joked that he continues to be the "junior justice" on the court, even though John Roberts is the most recent justice to be confirmed, because Roberts "goes in as chief justice, which is senior to me."**

One of his duties as junior justice is to open doors during private conference meetings and fetch coffee, he said. At a recent conference, Breyer said someone knocked on the door to give coffee to Justice Antonin Scalia, who remarked on how long Breyer had been the court's most junior member....

"I said, 'Yes, I've gotten very good at [coffee fetching],' " Breyer recalled. "And he said, 'No, you haven't.' "

© Copyright Original Source

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/what-does-the-junior-supreme-court-justice-do-kagan-tells-gorsuch-it-starts-in-the-kitchen/2017/04/09/9297ef4c-1bbd-11e7-9887-1a5314b56a08_story.html

No one could have known it at the time, but at the end of last summer, Justice Elena Kagan gave Neil M. Gorsuch a face-to-face tutorial on what it means to be the Supreme Court’s newest justice.

It starts in the kitchen.

“I’ve been on the cafeteria committee for six years. (Justice) Steve Breyer was on the cafeteria committee for 13 years,” Kagan said at a Colorado event where she was being interviewed by Gorsuch and Timothy M. Tymkovich, chief judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit.

Gorsuch and Tymkovich both were on President Trump’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees at the time, and it just so happened that they asked what it was like to be the most junior justice.

Kagan is a storyteller, and knows this is a topic that audiences usually eat up, so she played it for all it was worth.
    The junior justice has three unique responsibilities, she said. But in recounting them, she always starts with the fact that the newest justice is assigned to cafeteria duty and keeps it until the next justice is confirmed.

“I think this is a way to kind of humble people,” she said during the “fireside chat” at the elegant Broadmoor resort in Colorado Springs. “You think you’re kind of hot stuff. You’re an important person. You’ve just been confirmed to the United States Supreme Court.

“And now you are going to monthly cafeteria committee meetings where literally the agenda is what happened to the good recipe for the chocolate chip cookies.”

The justices eat lunch together on the days when they hear oral arguments, Kagan explained.

“Somebody will say, ‘Who’s our representative to the cafeteria committee again?’ Like they don’t know, right? And then they’ll say, ‘This soup is very salty.’ And I’m like supposed to go fix it myself?”

You might guess it was not the first time Kagan has told the story. But, as she says, she’s worried about the cookies and the soup since 2010--her biggest contribution has been to install a frozen yogurt machine--so who would begrudge her?

The Supreme Court is a place that runs on seniority. When Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg gets questions from feminists about why the opera written about her relationship with the late Justice Antonin Scalia is called Scalia/Ginsburg--and not the other way around--she tells them to remain calm.

Scalia got to the Supreme Court before she did, she says. He gets top billing.

The junior justice’s other responsibilities involve the private conference, when the justices meet alone--no clerks, no assistants--to decide which cases they will take and vote on the cases in which they’ve heard oral arguments.

It’s another event at which seniority rules. The chief justice speaks first, and then each justice speaks in order of longevity on the court. The junior justice speaks last and takes notes of the proceeding.

Kagan likes that duty. “I pay attention, I don’t lose focus and I communicate all our decisions,” she said. But that’s not all.

“The third thing--this is the most important junior justice responsibility--I open the door,” she said.

The conference room is a “real inner sanctum. We have two doors,” she said. Why would someone knock? “Well, you know, one of the justices forgot his glasses. The other justice forgot her cup of coffee.”

Kagan said there are no exceptions to the rule of who answers the door.

“Literally, if I’m like in the middle of a sentence--let’s say it’s my turn to speak or something--and there’s a knock on the door, everybody will just stare at me, waiting for me to open the door,” Kagan said. “It’s like a form of hazing. So, that’s what I do, I open the door. Pronto.”

So, is anyone going to be surprised if an online liberal mob gets outraged that a black woman has to do this sort of work for "a bunch of white guys" (as always, neglecting facts that don't fit) on the SCOTUS?

A prediction of leftist outrage over manufactured racism is not much of a prediction. A prediction would be something like saying Jackson will openly admit she really knows what a woman is, but was bending to the pressure of liberal culture. Now THAT would be some prediction.

Comment

I think with all the tax money we pay for worthless congressmen and staffers and deep state bureaucrats, we could afford the salary of a coffee gofer for the SCOTUS.

Comment

“Kentia”?
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          “Kentia”?
          Oh noes a typo! Quickly comment on that, that'll show him!

Comment

She can't complain they are treating her like that because she is a woman though, since she doesn't know what a woman is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              She can't complain they are treating her like that because she is a woman though, since she doesn't know what a woman is.
              She doesn't have to be the one complaining. Liberals can complain for her.

Remember when they went all "handmiads tail" over a reporter who wasn't dressed appropriately for congress, even though the rules had been in place for decades, even under speaker pelosi?

Comment

I have a feeling the tradition will suddenly be deemed racist, sexist, bigoted, and whatever other trigger words are favored by liberals these days, and that will be the end of it
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Of course they never had a problem when Thomas had to play house servant.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Of course they never had a problem when Thomas had to play house servant.
                    He's not really black.

(notice, this article is from all the way back in 1991)

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1991/08/17/clarence-thomass-stubborn-independence/c9c646de-8a44-4b4b-8951-c0820b466a45/

Yet there are those black leaders who claim that Thomas is estranged from his roots -- that is, he is trying to be white. An Oreo, as they used to say. But here is Thomas telling Juan Williams in a 1987 interview in the Atlantic: "There is nothing you can do to get past black skin. I don't care how educated youare, how good you are at what you do -- you'll never have the same contacts or opportunities. You'll never ever be seen as equal to whites."

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

He's not really black.

(notice, this article is from all the way back in 1991)

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1991/08/17/clarence-thomass-stubborn-independence/c9c646de-8a44-4b4b-8951-c0820b466a45/

Yet there are those black leaders who claim that Thomas is estranged from his roots -- that is, he is trying to be white. An Oreo, as they used to say. But here is Thomas telling Juan Williams in a 1987 interview in the Atlantic: "There is nothing you can do to get past black skin. I don't care how educated youare, how good you are at what you do -- you'll never have the same contacts or opportunities. You'll never ever be seen as equal to whites."

Yeah, I brought that up along with some other stuff concerning how those oh so woke and enlightened liberals treat him because he wouldn't stay on the plantation that they made for blacks.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

[...]

For my third example let's take a look at Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

First off liberals have repeatedly proclaimed that Thomas isn't really black because he isn't liberal. There's that racist stereotyping from the left again. Far too many liberals commonly dismisses out-of-hand as an "inauthentic black" any black person whose world-view differs from their own. The insidious racist axiom here is that, "all blacks think alike," a laughably ridiculous concept that civil rights leaders would be quick to condemn if they were said by a conservative.

When Samuel Alito was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court in 2005, the editorial staff of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel called for more diversity in the high court and declared that Clarence Thomas doesn't count as black (he "deserves an asterisk because he doesn't represent the views of mainstream black America."). To the left being black isn't about race it's about political beliefs. And the left is very intolerant of any minority who doesn't reside in their ideological plantation.

After Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's death in 2016[1], Congresswoman Karen Bass (D-Calif), indicated that Clarence Thomas wasn't an authentic black when she demanded that Scalia's replacement should be black, so as to give the Court an "African-American voice" which she said was lacking since Thurgood Marshall's time. "I think many people would like to see an African American on the Supreme Court," Bass declared.

While discussing the views of Thomas Columbia University professor of African-American Studies and political scientist Manning Marable decided that "ethnically, Thomas has ceased being an African American"

From the podium of the 1995 National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) convention Thomas was repeatedly called a "pimp" and a "traitor" to the black community. The late Rev. Joseph Lowery of the Southern Christian Leadership Council (SCLC) intoned, "I have told [Thomas] that I am ashamed of him, because he is becoming to the black community what Benedict Arnold was to the nation he deserted; and what Judas Iscariot was to Jesus; a traitor; and what Brutus was to Caesar; an assassin."

The late columnist Carl Rowan snidely remarked that, "if you give Thomas a little flour on his face, you'd think you had [former Klansman] David Duke." Former San Francisco mayor Willie Brown called Thomas not only "a shill for the most insidious form of racism," but someone who's views are "legitimizing of the Klu Klux Klan." Brown added that Thomas should be shunned and "shut out" by the black community.

Jesse Jackson proclaimed that Thomas was an "enemy of civil rights" and likened Thomas to a member of the Ku Klux Klan asserting that, "At night, the enemies of civil rights strike in white sheets, burning crosses ... By day, they strike in black robes."

Georgetown professor and MSNBC regular Michael Eric Dyson declared on Martin Bashir in 2013 that Thomas is "a symbolic Jew has invited a metaphoric Hitler to commit holocaust and genocide upon his own people." The host, Martin Bashir (who would shortly resign after calling for someone to [vulgar term for defecate] in Sarah Palin's mouth) simply responded to this slur with a calm "thank you."

The November 1997 cover of Emerge magazine depicted Thomas as a smiling lawn jockey next to the caption: "Lawn Jockey for The Far Right." Inside was artwork that depicted Thomas as a shoeshine boy for Justice Antonin Scalia. George Curry, who was editor-in-chief of Emerge, defended the drawings because he said they weren't as bad as others he had seen or as bad as some remarks about Thomas he had heard. Imagine how far that defense would go if a conservative magazine had Obama depicted as a shoeshine boy for George Soros.

In 2014 Congressman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss) called Thomas and other black conservatives "Uncle Tom[s]." When asked to clarify his remarks in light of the fact that the term is regarded racist, Thompson brushed it off saying it was legitimate because he isn't liberal and "voter ID, affirmative action, Affordable Care Act -- all those issues are very important and for someone in the court whos African American and not sensitive to that is a real problem."

The late author and feminist activist June Jordan characterized Thomas as a "virulent Oreo phenomenon," a "punk-ass," and an "Uncle Tom calamity." Movie director Spike Lee called Thomas "a handkerchief-head, chicken-and-biscuit-eating Uncle Tom."[2]

USA Today columnist and "Pacifica Radio" talk show host Julianne Malveaux[3] related her feelings toward Thomas on a 1994 episode of To the Contrary: "I hope his [Thomas'] wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter, and he dies early, like many black men do, of heart disease ... He's an absolutely reprehensible person." How dare he be black and a conservative! He needs to die.

Interestingly, liberals openly despise Thomas because of his mixed race marriage. Thomas, who's wife is white, has been attacked on these grounds by liberals multiple times over the years.

Russell Adams, chairman of the Afro-American studies department at Howard University (America's most prominent black institution of higher learning) told the Washington Post, "His marrying of a white woman is a sign of his rejection of the black community. Great Justices have had community roots that served as a basis for understanding the Constitution. Clarence's lack of a sense of community makes his nomination troubling." In defense of this the chairman of Howard's political science department, Ronald Walters, declared that he was sick and tired of hearing about the emergence of "black male conservatives who have exhibited a tendency toward interracial marriage." He then snidely added, "White conservatives are [Clarence Thomas's] ideological bedfellows, and his white conservative wife is literally his bedfellow."

Wow.

But that is hardly all.

Former U.S. Court of Appeals Judge the late A. Leon Higginbotham declared during a speech at New York University that Thomas is paving the way for the reinstituting white supremacy and asserted that his conservative views are a symptom of "racial self-hatred." He then went on to offer proof of his diagnoses -- that Thomas is married to a white woman. This, Higginbotham, said is evidence that Thomas "hates black women."

USA Today columnist Barbara Reynolds attacked Thomas for having married a white woman: "It may sound bigoted; well, this is a bigoted world and why can't black people be allowed a little Archie Bunker mentality? ... Here's a man who's going to decide crucial issues for the country and he has already said no to blacks; he has already said if he can't paint himself white he'll think white and marry a white woman."

In February 2014, State Rep. Alvin Holmes (D-AL) said of Justice Thomas: "I don't like him at all because he's an Uncle Tom." Earlier Holmes explained, while on the floor of the Alabama House of Representatives, that he disliked Thomas because "he's married to a white woman."

[...]

1. After the death of Antonin Scalia the "Twitterverse" absolutely lit up with liberals wishing that Thomas would die soon.

2. Lee once declared that Michael Williams was an "Uncle Tom" who needed to be "dragged into the alley and beaten with a Louisville Slugger" for promoting race-neutral scholarships while serving as a senior official in the Bush Administration's Department of Education.

3. who took particular delight in referring to white males as "white boys" and told CNN's Wolf Blitzer shortly before the first July 4th after 9/11 that, "I don't celebrate the Fourth of July. I get up in the morning and read Fredrick Douglas', The Meaning of the Fourth of July to the Negro and then I grouse for the rest of the day" and who had earlier told the Washington Post that "it's ridiculous for black Americans to recite the Pledge of Allegiance because its words are nothing but a lie. Just a lie."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment