Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

House Republicans Introduce Legislation To Redirect Funds From IRS To Border Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What good does increasing funds for the Border Patrol as long as their hands are tied? They can't do anything useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      What good does increasing funds for the Border Patrol as long as their hands are tied? They can't do anything useful.
      I would think this is in anticipation of winning the House and the Senate.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I would think this is in anticipation of winning the House and the Senate.
        Hopefully so. Then build the wall!

Comment

Hopefully so. Then build the wall!
          Make those 87,000 IRS agents build the wall!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

IIRC, the Republicans didn't do all that much regarding a wall when they held the House, Senate and presidency back in 2016. What makes you think much has changed?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              IIRC, the Republicans didn't do all that much regarding a wall when they held the House, Senate and presidency back in 2016. What makes you think much has changed?
              Sadly, I think both sides need a crisis at the border for their own political expediency.

Comment

By the time they actually moved on it, the democrats had control of the House, but you are right, the Republicans had the WH and all of congress and did nothing for two years.

Comment

Fresh faces. Also, the Republicans are dense but not totally brain dead. Times they are a changin'. Either change with them or be the second party to collapse.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

By the time they actually moved on it, the democrats had control of the House, but you are right, the Republicans had the WH and all of congress and did nothing for two years.
                    That's not true - they were very busy keeping Trump from doing anything useful.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Fresh faces.
                      Backbenchers who have little to no power unless they're media darlings -- and the only Republican media darlings in existence have to be Never Trumpers willing to follow the Democrat's lead.

Also, the Republicans are dense but not totally brain dead.
                      ECREE!

Times they are a changin'. Either change with them or be the second party to collapse.
                      Like the Democrats they are so embedded into the system (including get tax dollars to help their presidential candidates) that the best you can realistically hope for is an overhaul.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Backbenchers who have little to no power unless they're media darlings -- and the only Republican media darlings in existence have to be Never Trumpers willing to follow the Democrat's lead.

ECREE!

Like the Democrats they are so embedded into the system (including get tax dollars to help their presidential candidates) that the best you can realistically hope for is an overhaul.
                        Backbenchers really doesn't apply to the Congress as much as senior congressmen want to make people think. Sure as heck didn't stop AOC.

Both the lamestream and the old guard are losing influence and power. Here's the thing - I'm dubious that the Democrat Party survives the midterms. I think we're seeing a party system shift. I think the bloodbath will be so bad that the Democrats won't be able to hold together any longer. Remember, a lot of them are just there for the scraps and the Dems aren't going to have any to give after January.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Backbenchers really doesn't apply to the Congress as much as senior congressmen want to make people think. Sure as heck didn't stop AOC.
                          Did you miss this?

Backbenchers who have little to no power unless they're media darlings

If it wasn't for the MSM propping her up nobody would even know she exists outside of her district.

Both the lamestream and the old guard are losing influence and power. Here's the thing - I'm dubious that the Democrat Party survives the midterms. I think we're seeing a party system shift. I think the bloodbath will be so bad that the Democrats won't be able to hold together any longer. Remember, a lot of them are just there for the scraps and the Dems aren't going to have any to give after January.
                          Our system has made the two party system consisting of Republicans and Democrats "too big to fail." Any major changes will take place within the parties themselves. Sure there might be some splits like with what we saw with the Dixiecrats in the 50s but they'll either return to the fold or become irrelevant.

Comment

Did you miss this?

Backbenchers who have little to no power unless they're media darlings

If it wasn't for the MSM propping her up nobody would even know she exists outside of her district.
                            And the House Dems could have shut them down - except that there are limits. Sure, being new kid on the block isn't optimal, but at the end of the day, ALL votes count and even a newbie can use that fact to advantage.

Mind, we still need to ditch the seniority system.

Our system has made the two party system consisting of Republicans and Democrats "too big to fail." Any major changes will take place within the parties themselves. Sure there might be some splits like with what we saw with the Dixiecrats in the 50s but they'll either return to the fold or become irrelevant.
                            Feature, not a bug. Parties are supposed to be stable - but they are not invincible. Independents more than anything else propped up this particular system so long. But system shifts can and do happen. One is probably happening now.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

And the House Dems could have shut them down - except that there are limits. Sure, being new kid on the block isn't optimal, but at the end of the day, ALL votes count and even a newbie can use that fact to advantage.

Mind, we still need to ditch the seniority system.

Feature, not a bug. Parties are supposed to be stable - but they are not invincible. Independents more than anything else propped up this particular system so long. But system shifts can and do happen. One is probably happening now.
                              I think it all depends upon how much of a product of the edumacakshion system that they've established and are doomed to repeat history.

Thanks to the status quo being actually supported by laws, while there may be a big fight if the Democrats lose in the mid-terms in a manner that can't be spun, it will be internal. The part that is likely to be a repeat is that there will be several on the losing side willing to split and form their own party. Quickly both sides realize they just diluted their strength and rejoin together again. There will, of course, be exceptions because there are in things like this always exceptions.

There is also the possibility that the factions in the party succeed in calling a temporary truce and focus instead in making sure they have a decent candidate running for POTUS for 2024. This would likely be accomplished by throwing old Joe under the bus.

Everything really all depends on how well the Republicans do in a few weeks.

Comment

I think it all depends upon how much of a product of the edumacakshion system that they've established and are doomed to repeat history.

Thanks to the status quo being actually supported by laws, while there may be a big fight if the Democrats lose in the mid-terms in a manner that can't be spun, it will be internal. The part that is likely to be a repeat is that there will be several on the losing side willing to split and form their own party. Quickly both sides realize they just diluted their strength and rejoin together again. There will, of course, be exceptions because there are in things like this always exceptions.

There is also the possibility that the factions in the party succeed in calling a temporary truce and focus instead in making sure they have a decent candidate running for POTUS for 2024. This would likely be accomplished by throwing old Joe under the bus.

Everything really all depends on how well the Republicans do in a few weeks.
                                Pretty much. However, I see zero shot of the Democrats coming out of this with either house. It's going to be a bloodbath and those losses are likely to set of an internal death spiral.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment