Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

EU sees sabotage of Nord Stream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The comment “We see them every week," indicates this was nothing new and probably not suspicious.
    Setting up long-term cover, you mean?

I really doubt it is the "greenies", since it is unlikely to benefit them in the long-term. Much more likely the US, they've done it before, see 1982, and they don't want to see a change in mood in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Zara View Post

I really doubt it is the "greenies", since it is unlikely to benefit them in the long-term. Much more likely the US, they've done it before, see 1982, and they don't want to see a change in mood in Europe.
      The two aren't mutually exclusive, nor are the possible reasons behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zara View Post

Well there's a no-win situation.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Squeakers is in a Hollywood Rest Home enjoying his retirement after his post-NSA successful career in commercials, TV and film. He is quite happy and only regrets never getting to star in a Secret Squirrel remake.

The NSA goes to Tahiti when they go scuba diving. They're always thunderstruck when they see their first coconut.

Besides, No True Squirrel wears a tail cap.
          Really? Because Squeakers has been your procurement officer for the last ten years.

Mind you, I thought the tail caps were suspicious until I heard about your birthday party. FYI, normal people use water balloons, not hydrogen balloons.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Every time the economy has gotten rocky, environmentalism drops to the bottom of major concerns in polls. People want it but only at a certain price.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Anymore. There is no B-team anymore. They got caught.
              I thought they were on the K team? Or was it Q? I lose track because I don't usually find out what team was on the menu until Grace throws out the little vests.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Russia is now the prime suspect. The smoking gun . . .

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/28/politics/nord-stream-pipeline-leak-russian-navy-ships/index.html

First on CNN: European security officials observed Russian Navy ships in vicinity of Nord Stream pipeline leaks

By Katie Bo Lillis, Natasha Bertrand and Kylie Atwood, CNN
                Updated 2:42 AM EDT, Thu September 29, 2022

CNN —
                European security officials on Monday and Tuesday observed Russian Navy support ships in the vicinity of leaks in the Nord Stream pipelines likely caused by underwater explosions, according two Western intelligence officials and one other source familiar with the matter.

It’s unclear whether the ships had anything to do with those explosions, these sources and others said – but it’s one of the many factors that investigators will be looking into.

Russian submarines were also observed not far from those areas last week, one of the intelligence officials said.

Three US officials said that the US has no thorough explanation yet for what happened, days after the explosions appeared to cause three separate and simultaneous leaks in the two pipelines on Monday.

Russian ships routinely operate in the area, according to one Danish military official, who emphasized that the presence of the ships doesn’t necessarily indicate that Russia caused the damage.

“We see them every week,” this person said. “Russian activities in the Baltic Sea have increased in recent years. They’re quite often testing our awareness – both at sea and in the air.”

But the sightings still cast further suspicion on Russia, which has drawn the most attention from both European and US officials as the only actor in the region believed to have both the capability and motivation to deliberately damage the pipelines.

US officials declined to comment on the intelligence about the ships on Wednesday.

Both Denmark and Sweden are investigating, but a site inspection has yet to be done and details on exactly what caused the explosions remains sketchy. One European official said that there is a Danish government assessment underway and it could take up to two weeks for an investigation to properly begin because the pressure in the pipes makes it difficult to approach the site of the leaks — although another source familiar with the matter said the probe could begin as soon as Sunday.

The prime ministers for both Denmark and Sweden said publicly on Tuesday that the leaks were likely the result of deliberate actions, not accidents, and Sweden’s security service said in a statement Wednesday that it cannot be ruled out “that a foreign power is behind it.” US national security adviser Jake Sullivan on Tuesday evening also called the leaks “apparent sabotage” in a tweet.

© Copyright Original Source

No USA vessels have been observed near the site of the sabotage.
                Er, this is stupid. I mean really stupid. Beyond the pale idiotic stupid.

First, Russian warships are routinely in the area - the Baltic isn't all that big and Kaliningrad's access is fairly limited. Also, Russians are jerks and will push the line occasionally (just not as aggressively as the Chinese because they are also not total idiots - well, not usually). You'll note the article confirms this.

Second and most importantly - Russia doesn't need to depth charge the things. Russia has full access to an end and routine maintenance drones that can navigate through the pipes. Why send a very visible warship when you can send a invisible drone?

Third, both the US and Russia have these weird sinkable ships called submarines. Why on earth would either one send a surface ship to depth charge or whatever when they have lots of lovely submarines that can mess the thing up?

The benefit to Russia is the confusion it causes but that's counterproductive to the nuclear saber rattling. The other benefit is to keep Gasprom from being sued into nonexistence for breach of contract but that seems a bit silly when Russia has so many other fish to fry at the moment. Still, I'm beginning to lean a little more toward Russia, behind ecoterrorists and the French. Okay, so behind ecoterrorists because the French aren't very likely, just annoying.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Among the phony liberal plebs, sure. But the elites keep pushing it regardless.
                  Um, so? It only has a twenty year run and it's never had a lot of public opposition - until now. C19 taught people not to 'just trust the science'. That was a crucial bit of infrastructure for this issue's house of cards and it's dying fairly rapidly (political rapidity often isn't nearly as rapid as people think it should be).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Er, this is stupid. I mean really stupid. Beyond the pale idiotic stupid.

First, Russian warships are routinely in the area - the Baltic isn't all that big and Kaliningrad's access is fairly limited. Also, Russians are jerks and will push the line occasionally (just not as aggressively as the Chinese because they are also not total idiots - well, not usually). You'll note the article confirms this.

Second and most importantly - Russia doesn't need to depth charge the things. Russia has full access to an end and routine maintenance drones that can navigate through the pipes. Why send a very visible warship when you can send a invisible drone?

Third, both the US and Russia have these weird sinkable ships called submarines. Why on earth would either one send a surface ship to depth charge or whatever when they have lots of lovely submarines that can mess the thing up?

The benefit to Russia is the confusion it causes but that's counterproductive to the nuclear saber rattling. The other benefit is to keep Gasprom from being sued into nonexistence for breach of contract but that seems a bit silly when Russia has so many other fish to fry at the moment. Still, I'm beginning to lean a little more toward Russia, behind ecoterrorists and the French. Okay, so behind ecoterrorists because the French aren't very likely, just annoying.
                    First magnetic mines do the trick easiest without the complications you propose. by anybody, not necessarily governments. The Russian ships were there at the right time. No USA ships are reproted to be there at that time.

Finally, who is actually at fault has not been determined.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Um, so? It only has a twenty year run and it's never had a lot of public opposition - until now. C19 taught people not to 'just trust the science'. That was a crucial bit of infrastructure for this issue's house of cards and it's dying fairly rapidly (political rapidity often isn't nearly as rapid as people think it should be).
                      So, it means the elites aren't going to stop imposing their power and authority onto the populace, and the more the populace pushes back, the more aggressive they'll get even if it means starting another pandemic, blowing up pipelines, possibly starting a world war or God knows what else they have in store for the rest of the year and into 2023.

Comment

Really? Because Squeakers has been your procurement officer for the last ten years.

Mind you, I thought the tail caps were suspicious until I heard about your birthday party. FYI, normal people use water balloons, not hydrogen balloons.
                        Squeakers loves telling tales to the gullible.

He's retired after both his career in the NSA and then Hollywood.

f7bb1b226e7143a97081ce2582fefb03.jpg
                        He uses a walking stick to help get around these days and is getting hard of hearing

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought they were on the K team? Or was it Q? I lose track because I don't usually find out what team was on the menu until Grace throws out the little vests.
                          Vests?

Master Po despises them.

I think it has something to do with losing his first crush to some vest-wearing squirrel dandy from Cincinnati.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

First magnetic mines do the trick easiest without the complications you propose. by anybody, not necessarily governments. The Russian ships were there at the right time. No USA ships are reproted to be there at that time.

Finally, who is actually at fault has not been determined.
                            These things can also include timers. You know, something that will cause them to explode long after you're safe in port having a few drinks with the boys. Or even a day or two later.

Comment

Given the unparalleled success enjoyed by the Ninja Squirrel Assassins I'm sure there will continue to be cheap imitators as various governments are desperate to imitate them.
                              Ha! You got your squirrel assassins from the Nazis in Operation Paperclip!​

Reinhold%20L%C3%B6w%20playing%20with%20squirrel%20nazi%20totenkopf%20officer%20wehrmacht%20waffen-ss%20animal%20human%20feeding1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Sure, just when I blew your pirate ship out of the water with my brilliant retort!
                                Your post was an ecological disaster!
                                Last edited by Sparko; 09-30-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment