Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden moves to crack down on hidden airline fees: 'You should know the full cost'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    What about companies that charge a substantial "convenience fee" when you pay for something online? I know Ticket Master is notorious for that, with the additional fees often being as much as the ticket itself. Why is Joe only focusing on the airlines when this is a widespread problem? Simply outlaw the practice of advertising a low price and then adding a bunch of fees on the backend of the transaction.
    I will take wins where I can find them. I say let Biden do this, then push him to go farther. I would rather have something rather than nothing, and too often in politics we see that happen where people oppose what they consider good things because "it doesn't go far enough" and then they end up with nothing.

Comment

"You should know the full cost".

This has been an argument for decades about the manner in which our federal taxes are paid! Because they are automatically deducted from payroll, many people have no idea of "the full cost".

If you actually had to write a check each year, people would be horrified. Instead, they get duped into thinking they get a "refund" for overpaying.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I will take wins where I can find them. I say let Biden do this, then push him to go farther. I would rather have something rather than nothing, and too often in politics we see that happen where people oppose what they consider good things because "it doesn't go far enough" and then they end up with nothing.
        Or oppose it on no other grounds than the wrong person suggested it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't oppose it. I'm just curious about the limited scope of the proposal, although it may be the case that a narrow bill has a better chance of passing than a broad one. But is Joe really that shrewd?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Recently bought a car, the lot tacked on prior to purchase a "Market adjustment fee" that added another grand to the advertised price.
            You should have been able to refuse to pay that obvious scam fee. Just be prepared to walk away.

They tried to tack on the dealer add-on fees to my last car (nearly $4000) and I told them I wasn't going to pay it. They argued they added on all sorts of stuff like mud flaps and cargo nets and other BS. I told them to strip it all off then. They said, "it would cost too much to do that" then I said, fine I will just go away then. All of a sudden they took the fee off of the price.

Comment

I don't oppose it. I'm just curious about the limited scope of the proposal, although it may be the case that a narrow bill has a better chance of passing than a broad one. But is Joe really that shrewd?
              Joe doesn't know that today is Wednesday. He just hopes it's Ice Cream Day.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

There are ways for cheap phone service. The cheapest is a landline bundled with your cable/internet bill if you already have it. These are essentially "free" or very low cost, with the side effect of simply being stuck in the past.

Cheaper cell phone service is harder to get especially for a family, as unlike the past you are paying for multiple phone lines.
                The last time I "bundled" (at the advice of AT&T) I was severely ripped off. To the point I tore up their "contract" and they won't speak to me anymore (no tears there).

I don't have cable TV and I got a great deal from Suddenlink on my Internet. I can't even envision having a landline anymore.

Comment

I believe the limited scope is because that was the complaint brought to him. I believe airlines have been in the crosshairs of Pete Buttigieg for a while.

So instead of this being "limited scope" dealing with hidden fees, it's more likely that this is part of the administrations push at airline reform they've been doing. (Earlier they pushed regulations mandating baggage refunds in certain cases).

Comment

What about companies that charge a substantial "convenience fee" when you pay for something online? I know Ticket Master is notorious for that, with the additional fees often being as much as the ticket itself. Why is Joe only focusing on the airlines when this is a widespread problem? Simply outlaw the practice of advertising a low price and then adding a bunch of fees on the backend of the transaction.
                    Looks like he's expanding...though details are light.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...161500085.html

Comment

Looks like he's expanding...though details are light.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...161500085.html
                      Probably the only thing I will ever agree with Joe about.

Now if he would only do something about inflation.

Comment

Probably the only thing I will ever agree with Joe about.

Now if he would only do something about inflation.
                        Yeah I am sick of these add on fees that go up every month. That is why I dropped cable TV. Now Verizon is doing it to my cell phone service. Stopping the junk fees is something everyone can agree on. The question is, will Biden actually do it or is he just talking again?

Comment

Something I agree with Biden on:

Down with false advertised "prices" that don't include fees.

Personally, fake prices drive me up the wall these days. It seems that this is becoming a more and more common tactic, companies advertise a specific price, and then you get hit with fee after fee after fee.

Recently bought a car, the lot tacked on prior to purchase a "Market adjustment fee" that added another grand to the advertised price.
                          Recently changed garbage pickup because the "fuel surcharge" had reached nearly half the price of the pickup, and had been steadily going up even when gas prices were not.
                          Cable company adds pass through fees that aren't mandated.

All of these things add up to false advertising.

Source: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/white-house-proposes-new-rules-airline-fees-220003922.html

On Monday, the Biden administration announced plans to go after airlines and travel websites if they try to slip in fees after you've picked your flight or even after you’ve bought the ticket.

The proposed rule is part of Biden’s overall competition efforts and now will undergo a 60-day review and public comment period before it can be enacted. President Biden touted the efforts to pressure airlines into changing their policies during a White House event on Monday afternoon.

The overall effort — part of Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg’s recent promise to make flying less painful — comes as other key issues such as constant flight cancellations and an ongoing pilot shortage elude quick fixes.

"You should know the full cost of your ticket, right when you are comparison shopping to begin with so you can pick the ticket that actually is the best deal for you," Biden said Monday.

The new rules would apply to extra charges such as baggage fees, change fees, and cancellation fees. They'll also apply to family seating fees that, much to flyers' chagrin, can be tacked onto fares during the last step of the booking process or after the ticket has been purchased — often significantly driving up the price.
                          ‘Help travelers make informed decisions’

Under the proposed rule, customers searching online would see the fees the first time an airfare is displayed and potential fees for extras such as flight changes and baggage would also need to be shown immediately. The new rule would apply to flights inside the US and those that take off or land in the US.

“Airline passengers deserve to know the full, true cost of their flights before they buy a ticket,” Buttigieg said in a statement, adding that the new rules “will help travelers make informed decisions and save money.”

A trade group representing major US air carriers, Airlines for America, told Yahoo Finance in a statement that its airlines are already "committed to providing the highest quality of service, which includes clarity regarding prices, fees and ticket terms.” The statement added: “Passenger carriers provide details regarding the breakdown of airfares on their websites, providing consumers clarity regarding the total cost of a ticket.”

The group represents major airlines American (AAL), United (UAL), Delta (DAL), Southwest (LUV), JetBlue (JBLU), Hawaiian (HA), and Alaska (ALK).

Monday's move is the latest from the Biden administration to try to improve the flying experience, at least on the margins. Recent efforts have included a new "Airline Customer Service Dashboard" as well as dediicating $1 billion to upgrade America’s airport terminals.

'Capitalism without competition isn't capitalism'

Nonetheless, the more deeply rooted problems such as a shortage of pilots and the related wave of cancellations earlier this summer haven’t proven as open to administration solutions.

The Transportation Department is in the midst of a 90-day review process for another new rule around the issue of getting refunds in the event of flight cancellations. The administration is also pursuing enforcement actions against 10 airlines for extreme delays in providing refunds.

On Monday, Biden said his administration's efforts were having an effect. “They cancel on you and you have to pay a fee to rebook. C’mon man,” he said. "It’s simply not fair."

Airlines for America also also said Monday that its members “offer a range of options — including fully refundable fares — to increase accessibility to air travel and to help customers make ticket selections that best fit their needs.”

In a recent Yahoo Finance Live interview, Melius Research Director Conor Cunningham noted that some of the overall pressures on flyers could be easing, while acknowledging delays are still a problem. Still, he added, "Delays are better than cancellations, though obviously not great, but we're moving in the right direction, I guess."

Monday’s announcement came out of the third meeting of Biden’s White House Competition Council, whose members include Buttigieg, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo, and others. The group has the ambitious mandate of fostering competition across the economy from finance to health care to technology to transportation.

Its efforts were also cast by the White House this week as an effort to also bring down costs in the face of inflation. White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said Monday that the average American loses up to $5,000 a year “due to lack of competition.”

During his remarks Thursday, Biden applauded the Transportation Department’s move and said other agencies would soon do the same in their areas of influence pointing to fees from internet providers , banks, and cellphone companies.

"Capitalism without competition isn't capitalism, it's exploitation and we're building an economy that works for everyone," Biden said during his remarks.

© Copyright Original Source

Yep I firmly believe a company should be honest off the bat and advertise real prices. I remember planning a trip last year and considering using Airbnb. Found a nice price and went to book, only for the price to literally double with added fees (cleaning fee, taxes, and various other fees). Went for a hotel instead, at least there it only added a few taxes to their advertised price

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yep I firmly believe a company should be honest off the bat and advertise real prices. I remember planning a trip last year and considering using Airbnb. Found a nice price and went to book, only for the price to literally double with added fees (cleaning fee, taxes, and various other fees). Went for a hotel instead, at least there it only added a few taxes to their advertised price
                            Reminds me of the old mail order scam where an item would be advertised for $1 with a $40 "shipping and handling" fee. I still encounter that sort of thing on Amazon with third party sellers.

Comment

Reminds me of the old mail order scam where an item would be advertised for $1 with a $40 "shipping and handling" fee. I still encounter that sort of thing on Amazon with third party sellers.
                              Or the old get a second one free -- just pay shipping and handling.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment