Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should African Countries Pay Reparations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should African Countries Pay Reparations?

So this number one movie whitewashes the history of the Dahomey...

'The Woman King' tells the story of the Agojie. But in real life, the fierce women warriors played a controversial role in the translatlantic slave trade.

In 1727, Dahomey conquered the coastal Kingdom of Hueda, taking control of the port city Ouidah. This would become its main base for trade with European powers, and marked the start of its active participation in slave trade.

Dahomey soon became a key player in the trafficking of Africans, which proved to be one of the most profitable exports at the time, according to Manning. Armed with muskets they obtained from foreign nations through their export of slaves and other goods, Dahomey's armies captured people from nearby kingdoms and villages to fuel their supply of slaves.

Dahomey's involvement in the slave trade was fueled by European demand for cheap labor. Africans were left with scant choices: Would they benefit from this opportunity to steal people and sell them, run away, or fight back against foreign powers?

"It certainly wasn't Africa that came up with the idea of the slave trade, but their involvement was a response to an existing, increasing demand," Manning said.
    And trade goes on...

With 51 countries and 16 percent of the world’s population, Africa is enormously diverse in terms of history, development, people, culture, and religion. This regional study summarises a longer set of findings that can be found in the Global Slavery Index: Africa Report.

On any given day in 2016, an estimated 9.2 million men, women, and children were living in modern slavery in Africa. The region has the highest rate of prevalence, with 7.6 people living in modern slavery for every 1,000 people in the region.

When considering the forms of modern slavery, the rate of forced marriage (4.8 victims per 1,000 people in the region) was higher than the rate of forced labour (2.8 victims per 1,000 people in the region).

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/2...alysis/africa/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

In spite of stories like Roots the vast majority of blacks enslaved and shipped to the New World were captured and sold by other blacks. It's the part we're supposed to forget about.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      In spite of stories like Roots the vast majority of blacks enslaved and shipped to the New World were captured and sold by other blacks. It's the part we're supposed to forget about.
      Not only that, slavery was practiced in Africa long before the white man showed up. So how come only the West has to pay reparations? This came up during the whole Queen Elizabeth thing...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

My ancestors never owned a slave or had anything to do with them. Can I get reparations for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          My ancestors never owned a slave or had anything to do with them. Can I get reparations for that?
          Somehow, I don't think it works that way...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Not only that, slavery was practiced in Africa long before the white man showed up. So how come only the West has to pay reparations? This came up during the whole Queen Elizabeth thing...
            And as noted it is still going on, not to mention that slaves were still being shipped into the Middle East until very recently.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              The only involvement my ancestors had with slavery[1] was spilling their blood fighting against it. Most of mine were still in Scandinavia and Germany until after the Civil War, and the ones who were here fought for the Union shortly after arriving.

1. at least in the last few centuries. Given that it is generally agreed that at some point in time everyone has an ancestor who owned slaves as well as ancestors who were slaves ...

Comment

The only involvement my ancestors had with slavery[1] was spilling their blood fighting against it. Most of mine were still in Scandinavia and Germany until after the Civil War, and the ones who were here fought for the Union shortly after arriving.

1. at least in the last few centuries. Given that it is generally agreed that at some point in time everyone has an ancestor who owned slaves as well as ancestors who were slaves ...
                Well, I mean my American ancestors. I have no idea what my cave-dwelling ancestors did. Yes, my father's side immigrated here around 1890, and my mother's side were too poor to own much of anything. In fact, they were probably indentured servants.

Comment

Back to the OP, according to this Vox article, How The Woman King confronts Africa’s role in the slave trade, the director did not shy away from her role in selling blacks into slavery.

Comment

Back to the OP, according to this Vox article, How The Woman King confronts Africa’s role in the slave trade, the director did not shy away from her role in selling blacks into slavery.
                    Yet the slave trade is alive and well in Africa today...

Comment

Yet the slave trade is alive and well in Africa today...
                      True, but someone from the 1720s is hardly responsible for that.

Comment

True, but someone from the 1720s is hardly responsible for that.
                        Yet I'm are responsible for the slavery in the US when none of my relatives were even here then; i.e.reparations...

Comment

Yet I'm are responsible for the slavery in the US when none of my relatives were even here then; i.e.reparations...
                          Well, duh. Because you're an evil white devil.

Comment

Well, duh. Because you're an evil white devil.
                            Sorry, I forgot...

Comment