Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christian School Kicks Out 8yo For Not Taking Picture In A Bathtub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all assuming this is actually what happened of course, which we don't know. But private Christian schools have done weird things (one in my area made national news this month for baptizing hundreds of students without parents' permissions, some of which had already been baptized), so anything is possible.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
      The more sensible thing, of their tale has any truth to it, is instead of doubling down and giving further instructions of what to wear in their creepy tub pic, would have been to send out an email apologizing and telling them they don't need to perform said creepy action and that there was an oversight with an online resource, etc , etc., and an apology for it happening.
      Hindsight's always 20/20, but, yeah, given the current climate, a "Wow, THAT needs to be deleted entirely" should have been the response.

And of course the then tripling-down via trying to get the parents to withdraw their kid and then quadrupling down by forcing a withdrawal...... that's just mindboggling.
      There's probably more to that story, but from what we know so far, yeah ---- dumb.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I'm with Gond on this one. The idea of a kid being in a bathtub, even if clothed, could easily excite somebody with some weird fetish. Hard pass.
        Yup - this is one of those "no matter how innocent you may have intended it, there are FAR better ways to make homework fun".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Hindsight's always 20/20, but, yeah, given the current climate, a "Wow, THAT needs to be deleted entirely" should have been the response.

There's probably more to that story, but from what we know so far, yeah ---- dumb.
          I guess as another poster suggested, it could be the parents are not members of the church or even not Christian, which could go toward explaining why the school would be so eager to get rid of then for "rocking the boat"

Comment

This is all assuming this is actually what happened of course, which we don't know. But private Christian schools have done weird things (one in my area made national news this month for baptizing hundreds of students without parents' permissions, some of which had already been baptized), so anything is possible.
            You're comparing a school baptizing children (who were already Christian according to you) without parent's permission to this incident?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

You're comparing a school baptizing children (who were already Christian according to you) without parent's permission to this incident?

No. Try reading again.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No. Try reading again.
                Where did I get it wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Where did I get it wrong?

The point is there are plenty of anecdotes out there of strange behavior from Christian schools. The two incidents are different and weird for different reasons.

Baptizing children who presumably do not understand the precepts of the faith and have not been properly catechized is far worse than a bathtub picture.

Comment

because its not appropriate. In any way dhape or form.
                    You literally just said that it isn't acceptable because it isn't acceptable.

Not your best reasoning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

that's just as creepy my dude. Anyone asking a child to take pictures of themselves in a bathtub wearing ANYTHING is simply not acceptable. On any level. And a Christian school given the pedophilia issues in the religion makes it evemind-boggling..

And sorry but my title was 100 percent factual not "click-bait".

News orgs regularly reprint, that's not suspicious that's pretty common practice.
                      Perhaps I'm naive, but I guess I don't see what the big deal is of someone taking a picture of themselves fully clothed and sitting in a presumably empty bathtub. Although doing so while the tub is filled with water moves us into slapstick territory.

bathtub1.jpg

And I'm aware that news organizations routinely reprint stories from each other. It's just when the only version of the story you can find are word for word reprints that are light on details, it usually raises a red flag.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-25-2022, 01:00 PM.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm with Gond on this one. The idea of a kid being in a bathtub, even if clothed, could easily excite somebody with some weird fetish. Hard pass.
                        If that's the case then they should ban ALL photos of students because you never know what might trigger some weird fetish.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Found this from the school:

Jesse Latta, the pastor of Victory Baptist Church and president of the school, told WJAX that the assignment “was taken out of an online teacher resource and has been used in many schools.” He said in a statement, “When a parent contacted our teacher with a complaint, our teacher immediately sent out correspondence to all parents in the class to assure them that there were no bad intentions with this assignment and to clarify the guidelines. No additional concerns were presented to the teacher." Latta added, “While the assignment was completely innocent, out of an abundance of caution and for there to be no misunderstandings, our administration has removed this particular assignment for any future use. We value our children and their safety is our top priority. We will continue to serve the children and families in which the Lord has graciously allowed us to have a part in their lives.” However, the pastor did not address the "administrative withdrawal" of the student, per the report.

It is starting to look more and more like some goofy idea someone dreamed up to make homework "fun" (and maybe to get them to do it), and it became part of the curriculum in several schools, and less like some sort of perverse request.

How this resulted in the girl being kicked out of school is what seems to be the real mystery. That seems to be a massive overreaction and indicates that there may be a lot more to this story than this initial report.
                          Yes, it's the girl being suddenly kicked out that doesn't square with the rest of the story, which why I suspect there has to be more to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Perhaps I'm naive, but I guess I don't see what the big deal is of someone taking a picture of themselves fully clothed and sitting in a presumably empty bathtub. Although doing so while the tub filled with water moves us into slapstick territory.

bathtub1.jpg

And I'm aware that news organizations routinely reprint stories from each other. It's just when the only version of the story you can find are word for word reprints that are light on details, it usually raises a red flag.
                            I think it's that it's a young kid. I wouldn't be happy about that request made of my kids, especially in light of extended family history.

I see how a teacher could see it as innocent, like in your example. But I can see how parents could balk, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yes, it's the girl being suddenly kicked out that doesn't square with the rest of the story, which why I suspect there has to be more to it.
                              Pure speculation based on experience, but I won't be surprised if the school and the parents haven't butted heads previously and this was used as an excuse to remove her.

Comment

People with weird fetishes can get off on all sorts of things that are wholly innocent.

Comment