Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stasi home invasion terrorizes Pro-Life family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Is John Oliver undermining trust in law enforcement here?

Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/john-oliver-police-lies_n_6343d01ee4b0e376dc035cec

John Oliver called out the media for placing too much trust in police when reporting on crime stories ― leading to a two-word phrase heard frequently on TV news: “police say.”

“Yeah, 'police say,‘” Oliver said. “It’s a phrase that you constantly hear from the mouths of news reporters. It’s right up there with ‘this just in,’ or ‘back to you,’ or ‘I apologize for the actions I did on Cinco de Mayo.’”

He said while official police accounts are important to coverage of crime, news reports often simply repeat a police press release.

And that can turn out to be a huge mistake, he said, for one simple reason.

“Police lie,” Oliver said bluntly. “And they lie a lot.”

He recapped some of the stories on “Last Week Tonight” over the years.

“They lie to get search warrants to conduct raids and to get confessions during interrogations,” he said. “And they even lie under oath, so often in fact here in New York it came to be known as ‘testilying.’”

That means the word of the police should be treated with “immense skepticism” by the media, he argued. And Oliver had the receipts, with some real-world examples of cops offering what he called “complete horseshit” to the media:

© Copyright Original Source

If the left were consistent Oliver would be called before a congressional inquest while the FBI rummages through his underwear drawer.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

Apart from misquoting what I said, you have not explained why you think they are contradictory. They are just two distinct statements, and you can agree/disagree with either one indepentantly or both. All I am saying is that trust in law enforcemnet is good, corruption in law enforcement is bad.
    Is John Oliver undermining trust in law enforcement here?

Source: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/john-oliver-police-lies_n_6343d01ee4b0e376dc035cec

John Oliver called out the media for placing too much trust in police when reporting on crime stories ― leading to a two-word phrase heard frequently on TV news: “police say.”

“Yeah, 'police say,‘” Oliver said. “It’s a phrase that you constantly hear from the mouths of news reporters. It’s right up there with ‘this just in,’ or ‘back to you,’ or ‘I apologize for the actions I did on Cinco de Mayo.’”

He said while official police accounts are important to coverage of crime, news reports often simply repeat a police press release.

And that can turn out to be a huge mistake, he said, for one simple reason.

“Police lie,” Oliver said bluntly. “And they lie a lot.”

He recapped some of the stories on “Last Week Tonight” over the years.

“They lie to get search warrants to conduct raids and to get confessions during interrogations,” he said. “And they even lie under oath, so often in fact here in New York it came to be known as ‘testilying.’”

That means the word of the police should be treated with “immense skepticism” by the media, he argued. And Oliver had the receipts, with some real-world examples of cops offering what he called “complete horseshit” to the media:

© Copyright Original Source

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    FB_IMG_1665248541014.jpg

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

What concerns me is that they're not even trying to be subtle about it.
    The problem is that there are plenty of folks who don't have any problem with that system -- as long as their guy/side is in power

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Banana Republic patronage systems.
    What concerns me is that they're not even trying to be subtle about it.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

Exactly, blatant favoritism and injustice...
    Banana Republic patronage systems.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    They won't even investigate the various fire bombings and vandalism of pro-life pregnancy centers, and FWIU, after dozens of attacks not a single arrest has ever been made.
    Exactly, blatant favoritism and injustice...

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Biden DOJ indicts 11 pro-life activists for protesting outside abortion clinic

Biden's DOJ has allowed attacks against pro-life clinics to go unpunished

The Department of Justice indicted 11 pro-life activists who protested outside a Tennessee abortion clinic Wednesday, saying they violated the FACE Act.

The activists, according to the indictment, organized an event blockading an abortion clinic near Nashville earlier this year. The DOJ alleges the group physically prevented both employees of the clinic and at least one would-be patient from entering the building in early March. The federal FACE Act prohibits demonstrators from blocking access to abortion clinics.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/biden-doj...bortion-clinic
    They won't even investigate the various fire bombings and vandalism of pro-life pregnancy centers, and FWIU, after dozens of attacks not a single arrest has ever been made.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Biden DOJ indicts 11 pro-life activists for protesting outside abortion clinic

Biden's DOJ has allowed attacks against pro-life clinics to go unpunished

The Department of Justice indicted 11 pro-life activists who protested outside a Tennessee abortion clinic Wednesday, saying they violated the FACE Act.

The activists, according to the indictment, organized an event blockading an abortion clinic near Nashville earlier this year. The DOJ alleges the group physically prevented both employees of the clinic and at least one would-be patient from entering the building in early March. The federal FACE Act prohibits demonstrators from blocking access to abortion clinics.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/biden-doj...bortion-clinic

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    Yes, that's my suspicion too. Calling it 'sidewalk counselling' is a clear indication that the article is going to be heavily biased.
    I get the same feeling whenever I see an article saying "pro-choice" when most of these folks are about limiting choices in our lives.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Possibly an "eye of the beholder" thing.

Molech worshipers and other infidels would probably call it harassment and obstruction.

I suspect he and his associates attempt to offer faith-based advice to the people entering the clinic, without necessarily waiting for such advice to be requested.
    Yes, that's my suspicion too. Calling it 'sidewalk counselling' is a clear indication that the article is going to be heavily biased.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    "Sidewalk counselling"?
    Possibly an "eye of the beholder" thing.

Molech worshipers and other infidels would probably call it harassment and obstruction.

I suspect he and his associates attempt to offer faith-based advice to the people entering the clinic, without necessarily waiting for such advice to be requested.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    Houck is the leader of a nonprofit group that provides sidewalk counseling at abortion clinics in Philadelphia. ...
    "Sidewalk counselling"?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That is a "No" then?
    The wise person understands when to quit digging. And yet here you are continuing merrily along.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    That you're unable to see it says a lot about you.

Something something have eyes yet cannot see.
    That is a "No" then?

Leave a comment: