Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Pope fails to take a moral stand on Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You seem uninformed about exactly what the Ukraine military, particularly the infamous Azov Battalion, has done to Russian nationals, prisoners of war, and even its own people. When Zelinsky was called out on it in an interview, he dismissively shrugged and said, "They are just defending their country."
    You will need to better than referring to the Azov Battalion as representative of Ukraines commission of war crimes. Yes the Azov Battalion is known to commit atrocities against Russians. but it is only one battalion of 900 to maybe 2200 Russian Ukrainian troops that was notoriously effective in combat against Russian troops, and perished in the defense of Mariupol.

The following are interesting facts about Russian acts of war crimes, which is common in Russian use of artillary and missiles.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azov_Regiment

On 9 March Russia carried out an airstrike on a maternity hospital, killing multiple civilians, and justified the bombing by the alleged presence of Azov troops in the building;[109] similarly, on 16 March, the Mariupol theatre, which was holding civilians, was bombed, Russia accused Azov of having perpetrated it instead, trying to frame Russia for it.[110] As civilians fled the city, Russian checkpoints stopped men and stripped them, looking for tattoos identifying them as Azov.[111][112] Refugees in "filtration centers" were interrogated if they had any affiliation with Azov or knew someone in the regiment.[113] On 22 March, Azov's military headquarters in the northern Kalmiuskyi District were captured by Russian and DPR soldiers, although it was already abandoned.[112]

Azov soldiers attack a Russian tank in Mariupol

By early April, Azov Regiment, together with other local Ukrainian forces, started to retreat into the Azovstal iron and steel works, a massive Soviet-era steel mill built to resist military attacks and bombing. The unit became prominently associated with Azovstal; its founder Andriy Biletskiy called the industrial complex "the fortress of the Azov".[105] On 11 April 2022, the regiment accused Russian forces of using “a poisonous substance of unknown origin” in Mariupol.[114] The allegations, however, have not been confirmed by independent fact-checkers and organizations.[115][116][117][118] Later in April, remaining pockets of Ukrainian resistance inside the city, consisting of Ukrainian Marines 36th Brigade, non-Azov National Guard, and the sea port detachments of National Police and Border Guards, conducted operations to breakthrough into Azovstal, while members of Azov conducted support and rescue operations to assist them.

© Copyright Original Source

You need to provide more examples concerning Ukrainian war crimes than this. There is easily a 1000 to one or greater of Russian war crimes including massive attacks against the civilian population, mass executions, mass rape including women and children and kidnapping over 100,000 children.

Remember Russia invaded Ukraine with imperialist motives.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Do you agree with the Pope that the West and NATO contributed to the cause of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and the Italian ex PM that repeated this cause and then supports Russia in the invasion?
      Ah, the bolding and underlining! This is getting SERIOUS, folks!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ah, the bolding and underlining! This is getting SERIOUS, folks!
        You need to stop the Duck, Bob, and Weave soft shoe dodge act and respond to the posts. I asked the question. Please answer, and respond to post #46.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine is in SERIOUS.

Unless you can provide an explanation, I have to consider you a Russian apologist putting Russia and Ukraine on equal fault and equal committing war crimes, as per posts #10 and #19.

Like Trump you likely consider Putin in favorable terms. Like the Pope you do not accept that Russia has imperialist plans to dominate the region of the old Soviet and Czar's Eastern Europe and Asia by any force necessary.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-27-2022, 05:03 PM.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

You need to stop the Duck, Bob, and Weave soft shoe dodge act and respond to the posts. I asked the question. Please answer, and respond to post #46.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine is in SERIOUS.

Unless you can provide an explanation, I have to consider you a Russian apologist putting Russia and Ukraine on equal fault and equal committing war crimes, as per posts #10 and #19.
          And I have to consider you a clueless old hillbilly. Posts #10 and #19 weren't me.

Like Trump you likely consider Putin in favorable terms. Like the Pope you do not accept that Russia has imperialist plans to dominate the region of the old Soviet and Czar's Eastern Europe and Asia by any force necessary.
          You are so full of crap it's not even funny.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And I have to consider you a clueless old hillbilly. Posts #10 and #19 weren't me.

I apologize you sound so much like Mountain man as a Putin apologist not considering the Ukraine War not SERIOUS. I made the mistake

Frank

Comment

Again . . . Do you agree with the Pope that the West and NATO contributed to the cause of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and the Italian ex PM that repeated this cause and then supports Russia in the invasion? You apparently do not consider the war SERIOUS.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I'm saying that you had a pleasant return to lucidity for several days there but that appears to have ended.
                My citations are specific and accurate for which you have not responded.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

As far as atrocities are concerned, Ukraine and Russia are on equal footing. I've been saying from the beginning, there are no good guys in this fight
                  Based on your responses you apparently ignore the evidence and remain a Putin apologist.

Frank

Comment

Again . . . Do you agree with the Pope that the West and NATO contributed to the cause of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and the Italian ex PM that repeated this cause and then supports Russia in the invasion? You apparently do not consider the war SERIOUS.
                    A) I honestly don't give a flying flip what the Pope says or thinks.
                    2) I haven't stated any such position, and your mind-reading skills stink out loud.

Comment

I apologize you sound so much like Mountain man as a Putin apologist not considering the Ukraine War not SERIOUS. I made the mistake
                      You're downright delusional, because I have made no such statement. You are making mistake after mistake, so perhaps it would be best if you just shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        No. You just attached one of your rants onto my post without troubling yourself with reading anything I have been saying.
                        I'm sure you're appropriately shocked.

And stunned.

Comment

I'm sure you're appropriately shocked.

And stunned.
                          But not enough so to post the vids

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment