Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Not so bad" inflation has fed hiking rates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

So you're of the conclusion that the Dems are thinking rationally? I think they're completely delusional, because they apparently think all their gaslighting is actually working.

They also know that most folks of either party don't know, much less understand, what the Fed is or does. All they need to convey is that Powell is responsible for their economic pain (and that's clearly what's happening now, whether this is intentionally planned or not) and that he was Trump's guy. They might even look back at 2018 and argue the fact that Trump made Powell stop tightening as "proof" that Powell is under his control.

Maybe I'm wrong, because maybe that's actually too sophisticated of a strategy for them.
    I just don't think that your theory is workable even if they were to try it because they haven't enough time left. Three months ago and it would have been a decent plan that wouldn't have worked because the Democrats are still stuck with Biden. But it would have stood a chance of making an impact. It just requires more time and possibly brains than they've got.

I'm dubious of them trying anything coherent at this point.. They seem to be running around with their hair on fire.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I just don't think that your theory is workable even if they were to try it because they haven't enough time left. Three months ago and it would have been a decent plan that wouldn't have worked because the Democrats are still stuck with Biden. But it would have stood a chance of making an impact. It just requires more time and possibly brains than they've got.

I'm dubious of them trying anything coherent at this point.. They seem to be running around with their hair on fire.

I did also say the possibility of 2024. But we'll see. Maybe Trump won't even run, so it won't matter.

Comment

I did also say the possibility of 2024. But we'll see. Maybe Trump won't even run, so it won't matter.
        Ah, I missed that. Yeah, that could work if applied to the 2024 election. Assuming anyone is still watching CNN.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ah, I missed that. Yeah, that could work if applied to the 2024 election. Assuming anyone is still watching CNN.
          It wouldn't be only CNN. If WH proposed such a narrative, you'd have every single establishment rag and every single WH economist shill (i.e Krugman. El Erian, at al) on board pushing the narrative on every financial network, I'm sure.

Comment

It wouldn't be only CNN. If WH proposed such a narrative, you'd have every single establishment rag and every single WH economist shill (i.e Krugman. El Erian, at al) on board pushing the narrative on every financial network, I'm sure.
            Yeppers, but it takes a LOT of coverage to reach uninterested people. CNN is a shortcut, albeit not much of one. It's still a slog to get enough normal disinterested voters to be aware enough for this to impact their votes. It's certainly doable with a long lead in, but the more mindless news you have, the easier it gets.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Yeppers, but it takes a LOT of coverage to reach uninterested people. CNN is a shortcut, albeit not much of one. It's still a slog to get enough normal disinterested voters to be aware enough for this to impact their votes. It's certainly doable with a long lead in, but the more mindless news you have, the easier it gets.
              Why would it take that much effort to get voters interested in the subject when the economy is one of the top issues voters are concerned about? And why is coverage a problem? Everyone in America has heard about Russia-gate and yet that was another total democrat farce. My Powell/Trump theory is small peanuts in how they effectively spread that conspiracy hoax to the American people. They'd use the exact same methods.

Comment

Why would it take that much effort to get voters interested in the subject when the economy is one of the top issues voters are concerned about? And why is coverage a problem? Everyone in America has heard about Russia-gate and yet that was another total democrat farce. My Powell/Trump theory is small peanuts in how they effectively spread that conspiracy hoax to the American people. They'd use the exact same methods.
                People pay the most attention to the economy when it's doing something scary - like inflation or recession or some other 'ion' that sounds ominous. 'Concerned about' doesn't always translate to 'pays attention to' and economics are just below foreign relations on the list of things people least want to pay attention to.

The reason everyone knew about Russiagate was the incessant beating of that drum by the lamestream media. It was inescapable if you even glanced at the news. The truth is, even then, most people couldn't have told you what it was really about. Almost none could have explained the complexities of the allegations. They picked up the word and a negative impression - not an informed view of the subject. And they only did that because of the incessant coverage, Coverage isn't a problem so much as it's a necessity for an issue that doesn't capture the public's interest.

Basically, with something that doesn't catch the public's attention, it takes a LOT of hammering to get them to remember it once they have heard about it. So yes, given a lead up and serious hammering, your theory is a workable attack - and they would be using the same methods. But the biggest part of that methodology was the constant repetition over time.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• So Inflation is gonna raise my house payment by over $100 month. My insurance has gone up and so has my property tax. Thanks Biden.

Comment

• Gas is starting its predicted climb again. Rising 11 cents/gallon over last week.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      So Inflation is gonna raise my house payment by over $100 month. My insurance has gone up and so has my property tax. Thanks Biden.
                      Ditch the Dems. 11/8/22

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Gas is starting its predicted climb again. Rising 11 cents/gallon over last week.
                        I'm just cynic enough to appreciate the timing, if not cynical enough to appreciate the effect.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Ditch the Dems. 11/8/22
                          Reps won't solve inflation because they won't stop government spending.

Best case is they at least somewhat obstruct all this climate change policy nonsense and (hopefully) investigate Biden and his corruption. That's best case. Worse case is they do nothing like they normally do and actually add on to the government spending with their own spending agendas (i.e. military defense, etc.).

But neither of those scenarios are going to stop the damage that has already been done for the last decade and the repercussions of that damage we're about to face.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Gas is starting its predicted climb again. Rising 11 cents/gallon over last week.
                            I was surprised last night when I was watching NBC nightly news to see gas prices are over $7/gallon in California. In my area, higher heating costs are the bigger concern. Past couple weeks have already been colder than normal.

It's a mess and going to get worse.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Gas here sat at $3.69 for about two months, and then it suddenly jumped to $3.99 a few days ago. Joe has taken us from energy independence to begging our enemies for oil.
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 10-06-2022, 06:21 PM.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Reps won't solve inflation because they won't stop government spending.

Best case is they at least somewhat obstruct all this climate change policy nonsense and (hopefully) investigate Biden and his corruption. That's best case. Worse case is they do nothing like they normally do and actually add on to the government spending with their own spending agendas (i.e. military defense, etc.).

But neither of those scenarios are going to stop the damage that has already been done for the last decade and the repercussions of that damage we're about to face.
                                News breaking on the Hunter Biden front. They say they have enough to indict Hunter both for lying on federal forms when he purchased a gun and for various tax issues.

The first step to pressure old Joe into saying he won't run in 2024?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment