Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Not so bad" inflation has fed hiking rates.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Yeah, that's a another issue -- BLS has been so corrupted with questionable data metrics, who knows how legit it is anymore.
    Aside from the fact that people were actually paid to stay home, making it more difficult for employers to hire.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Aside from the fact that people were actually paid to stay home, making it more difficult for employers to hire.
      And then when the quarantines were lifted and the businesses that survived reopened and people went back to the jobs that the government had closed down, old Joe stands around crowing about all of the jobs he "created."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It was ironic that for a while there, unemployed people calling the helpline to complain about not getting their unemployment checks fast enough were bringing in significantly more money than the employed people who were taking their calls.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          And then when the quarantines were lifted and the businesses that survived reopened and people went back to the jobs that the government had closed down, old Joe stands around crowing about all of the jobs he created.
          He's not well - you shouldn't pick on the old goat.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It was ironic that for a while there, unemployed people calling the helpline to complain about not getting their unemployment checks fast enough were bringing in significantly more money than the employed people who were taking their calls.
            For awhile a sizeable portion were receiving more money from unemployment than they were making while employed.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

For awhile a sizeable portion were receiving more money from unemployment than they were making while employed.
              And I knew a guy who boasted that he was doing BOTH - but getting paid "at work" under the table. I suspect there was a lot of that going on.

Comment

And I knew a guy who boasted that he was doing BOTH - but getting paid "at work" under the table. I suspect there was a lot of that going on.
                I know several people who were working cash jobs (often construction) while collecting both state and federal unemployment.

Comment

I know several people who were working cash jobs (often construction) while collecting both state and federal unemployment.
                  It's amazing how industrious lazy people can be when there's "free money".

Comment

It's amazing how industrious lazy people can be when there's "free money".
                    These weren't lazy people. It wasn't their idea that the companies they worked for were forced to close by the government. And most had friends and relatives in the construction business[1], and some were even going a bit stir crazy from the home confinement.

1. one worked in his cousin's convenience store (which he worked in when his uncle owned it) and the other I'm not sure what she was doing.

Comment

These weren't lazy people. It wasn't their idea that the companies they worked for were forced to close by the government. And most had friends and relatives in the construction business[1], and some were even going a bit stir crazy from the home confinement.

1. one worked in his cousin's convenience store (which he worked in when his uncle owned it) and the other I'm not sure what she was doing.
                      You're right - lazy people would just stay home and accept our "free money".

Comment

I've lost track. Are governments still giving out enhanced unemployment because of Covid?
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I've lost track. Are governments still giving out enhanced unemployment because of Covid?
                          Maybe they pivoted to making us pay for student loan debt incurred by those who obtained them by agreeing to pay them back?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Pretty sure that ended a while back.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Pretty sure that ended a while back.
                              The federal government stopped over a year ago. No telling what each states is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zara View Post

Great, inflation is a global thing. No more claiming it is a Biden thing by you. Thanks for that.

It seems that people can't afford non-discretionary goods, since the number of people hasn't changed so much in the US nor can non-discretionary spending change, moaning about anything else is meaningless. Who cares if poor people can't afford things that they don't need.

Debt forgiveness is only a problem if it affects demand for non-discretionary spending, but if you think it is inflationary that means that that debt was toxic for those people - since they can't afford to live.

The OP is moaning about Biden, you've moaned a lot about Biden and inflation - but I guess you're not moaning about that anymore, great.
                                Bro, you seriously need to work on reading comprehension.

I didn't say it wasn't Biden's fault. It IS his fault, just not ONLY his fault, nor is he the source of the problem. There are a whole lot of others to blame. Only now Biden and the Dems are doing everything they can (seemingly intentionally almost) to exacerbate the situation.

Debt adds a restraint on demand. If you have debt obligations, you don't have money to spend on other things. Even the anticipation of debt is a restraint on demand. When you know you might get into debt buying something you can't afford, you'll likely avoid purchasing that item. Biden has completely removed that restraint. He's also opened the can worms for future debt forgiveness anticipation. Even the hope and expectation of future debt forgiveness will exacerbate the situation and create more demand.
                                Last edited by seanD; 09-23-2022, 12:53 PM.

Comment