Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Train Hit Police Vehicle After Cops Left Detained Woman Inside, Parked on Tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

From the video, they seemed confused when they first heard the train horn and by the time they realized what was going on it was too late. I think it was the "hyperfocused" thing you were talking about earlier. It took a moment to understand what was happening. No excuse but it does explain their hesitation. As you said they shouldn't have parked on the tracks in the first place or someone should have moved it once they had the woman in custody.
    Yeah, there's a whole science of physiological responses in emergency services, and your better law enforcement agencies will have education on how to overcome the affects of adrenalin rush, hyper-awareness (that actually shuts out vital stimuli) and other effects. The BEST remedy is experience. After a number of incidents, you learn how to offset the tunnel vision and hyper-focus to allow a broader assessment of the situation.

Those officers in "stand off" position while the subject is being ordered to exit her vehicle are standing on the tracks - probably totally unaware that's what they're doing.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, there's a whole science of physiological responses in emergency services, and your better law enforcement agencies will have education on how to overcome the affects of adrenalin rush, hyper-awareness (that actually shuts out vital stimuli) and other effects. The BEST remedy is experience. After a number of incidents, you learn how to offset the tunnel vision and hyper-focus to allow a broader assessment of the situation.

Those officers in "stand off" position while the subject is being ordered to exit her vehicle are standing on the tracks - probably totally unaware that's what they're doing.
      Yeah tunnel vision is real. So is time slowing down. I was in a pretty scary car wreck one time where I hit a ditch and the car did a cartwheel. Luckily I wasn't hurt. I but I still remember it very clearly. It was like time slowed down and I was staring at the ground go by through the windshield and S-l-o-w-l-y move, almost like a stop frame film. And yes, my life did "flash before my eyes" - It probably only took a couple of seconds but it felt like 2 or three minutes. And I just sat there shaking afterwards.

Comment

Yeah tunnel vision is real. So is time slowing down. I was in a pretty scary car wreck one time where I hit a ditch and the car did a cartwheel. Luckily I wasn't hurt. I but I still remember it very clearly. It was like time slowed down and I was staring at the ground go by through the windshield and S-l-o-w-l-y move, almost like a stop frame film. And yes, my life did "flash before my eyes" - It probably only took a couple of seconds but it felt like 2 or three minutes. And I just sat there shaking afterwards.
        Yeah, when we have our "Citizens Police Academy", participants are absolutely amazed watching the after-action video of them doing really dumb things, or things they don't remember doing at all.

In my early days, I was often amazed at the 'discrepancy' between how long I thought a police action lasted and the actual radio log showing dispatch / arrival / clearing scene. I was in a hostage situation once (face to face with a man holding his own child hostage with a .45 caliber 1911 held to her head) where I estimated, after the fact, that it was about a 3 and a half our stand off. It was actually 27 minutes from "time on scene" to "subject in custody".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
          They do, actually, via requests for a trial in a new location.
          This is called a "change of venue", and it can be requested, but is only granted in extreme cases.
          It has absolutely nothing to do with "judge shopping".

Comment

• Well, better than nothing I guess. Let's see if the system let's it stick though.

Two Colorado police officers charged after train hit patrol car with handcuffed woman inside

Two police officers have been charged with multiple felony and misdemeanor counts stemming from an incident in which they allegedly placed a handcuffed female suspect in a patrol car that was then hit by a train.
            Sgt. Pablo Vazquez from the Platteville Police Department is charged with five counts of reckless endangerment and one count each of obstructing highway or other passageway, careless driving and parking where prohibited, the Weld County District Attorney's Office announced Monday. Officer Jordan Steinke of the Fort Lupton Police Department is charged with second degree assault, criminal attempt to commit manslaughter and reckless endangerment.

On September 16, officers from both the Platteville Police Department and Fort Lupton Police Department responded to a reported road rage incident on Highway 85, CBS Colorado reported. Yareni Rios-Gonzalez, 20, was accused of threatening another with a gun, according to CBS Colorado.

In body camera video of the incident, Rios-Gonzalez is seen pulled over in front of some railroad tracks. She was then handcuffed and placed inside Vazquez's police cruiser, which he had stopped on the railroad tracks. As the officers searched Rios-Gonzalez's vehicle, a train whistle can be heard approaching. The police cruiser was then hit by the oncoming freight train with Rios-Gonzalez still in the back.

Rios-Gonzalez suffered serious injuries following the collision, but has since been released from the hospital, according to CBS Colorado.

She is charged with one count of felony menacing, the Weld County District Attorney's Office said.

A CBS News Colorado investigation found that Vazquez had previously been labeled as a "significant" liability risk by another department he worked at.

Vazquez has been placed on leave. An attorney for Vazquez told CBS Colorado that they could not comment "until I see the full indictment."

Steinke's attorney told CBS Colorado, "Officer Steinke has faith in the judicial system and trusts she will receive her fair day in court."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pablo-v...alez-colorado/

Comment

Well, better than nothing I guess. Let's see if the system let's it stick though.

The bit about attempted manslaughter is interesting. Probably reckless disregard for human life.

Comment

The bit about attempted manslaughter is interesting. Probably reckless disregard for human life.
                It looks like a case of over-charging, IMO. There's already a reckless endangerment charge. I don't see how you can make "criminal attempt to commit manslaughter" stick without some sort of proof that it was deliberate.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  It looks like a case of over-charging, IMO. There's already a reckless endangerment charge. I don't see how you can make "criminal attempt to commit manslaughter" stick without some sort of proof that it was deliberate.
                  Yeah the wording is odd on that one. "manslaughter" can include a disregard for human life which would not be deliberate but just reckless. But saying "criminal attempt to commit manslaughter" makes is sound deliberate. I don't think it was deliberate, just stupid.

Comment

Yeah the wording is odd on that one. "manslaughter" can include a disregard for human life which would not be deliberate but just reckless. But saying "criminal attempt to commit manslaughter" makes is sound deliberate. I don't think it was deliberate, just stupid.
                    Some clarification, we don't have distinctions for manslaughter like some states (voluntary vs involuntary, etc.).

Statutes 2016 Colorado Revised Statutes
                    Title 18 - Criminal Code
                    Article 3 - Offenses Against the Person
                    Part 1 - Homicide and Related Offenses
                    § 18-3-104. Manslaughter
                    Universal Citation: CO Rev Stat § 18-3-104 (2016)
                    (1) A person commits the crime of manslaughter if:

(a) Such person recklessly causes the death of another person; or

(b) Such person intentionally causes or aids another person to commit suicide.

(c) (Deleted by amendment, L. 96, p. 1844, § 13, effective July 1, 1996.)

(2) Manslaughter is a class 4 felony.

(3) This section shall not apply to a person, including a proxy decision-maker as such person is described in section 15-18.5-103, C.R.S., who complies with any advance medical directive in accordance with the provisions of title 15, C.R.S., including a medical durable power of attorney, a living will, or a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) directive.

(4) (a) This section shall not apply to a medical caregiver with prescriptive authority or authority to administer medication who prescribes or administers medication for palliative care to a terminally ill patient with the consent of the terminally ill patient or his or her agent.

(b) For purposes of this subsection (4):

(I) "Agent" means a person appointed to represent the interests of the terminally ill patient by a medical power of attorney, power of attorney, health care proxy, or any other similar statutory or regular procedure used for designation of such person.

(II) "Medical caregiver" means a physician, registered nurse, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or anesthesiologist assistant licensed by this state.

(III) "Palliative care" means medical care and treatment provided by a licensed medical caregiver to a patient with an advanced chronic or terminal illness whose condition may not be responsive to curative treatment and who is, therefore, receiving treatment that relieves pain and suffering and supports the best possible quality of his or her life.

(c) Paragraph (a) of this subsection (4) shall not be interpreted to permit a medical caregiver to assist in the suicide of the patient.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Colorado law is really weird - I don't think they even have to prove intent for the attempted manslaughter charge. But, yeah, it sounds like overcharging, to me.

overcharge.jpeg

GENEVA, March 6 (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton presented Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov with a red "reset button" to symbolise improved ties, but the gift drew smiles as the word "reset" was mistranslated into the Russian for "overcharge".

Comment

Colorado law is really weird - I don't think they even have to prove intent for the attempted manslaughter charge. But, yeah, it sounds like overcharging, to me.
                        No surprise there.

Comment

No surprise there.
                          I'm consistent, what can I say? I don't get all hysterical and jump to unwarranted conclusions when it comes to the law.

Comment

I'm consistent, what can I say? I don't get all hysterical and jump to unwarranted conclusions when it comes to the law.
                            A review of the record shows that the hysterical and emotional one in this thread was you. And you got even more emotional when called out on it.

Comment

A review of the record shows that the hysterical and emotional one in this thread was you. And you got even more emotional when called out on it.
                              Sure. Whatever you say.

Comment

Gond. You might want to go back through that record again.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment