Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And yet another backlash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Perhaps. But her longevity isn't newsworthy. I've had a relative or two that outlived her.
    By itself, but it does help explain the reaction. This seems like a one in a lifetime event, for someone in that position to die. Pope's, on average, go 1 every 10 years. Charles, when he goes likely won't have the same reaction

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      Good grief! We agree on something. And why should every channel have to cover exactly the same thing? The word overkill comes to mind.
      Over here it was much worse after Princess Diana died. I was so glad to have cable although it seemed that about the only ones not covering it were the cooking channel and cartoon channel.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Perhaps. But her longevity isn't newsworthy. I've had a relative or two that outlived her.
        It's certainly noteworthy, most monarchs don't live that long PLUS rule that long within their life. Like Charles, even if he lives to older than her, will only rule a fraction of the time she did.

But as another poster noted, from my own memory as well at least here in the US, it's not nearly as wall-to-wall as it was when Princess Di dies. (You couldn't even leave most radio stations on without at the very least hearing the special Candle In the Wind version for her playing)
        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 09-17-2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
          It's certainly noteworthy, most monarchs don't live that long PLUS rule that long within their life. Like Charles, even if he lives to older than her, will only rule a fraction of the time she did.

But as another poster noted, from my own memory as well at least here in the US, it's not nearly as wall-to-wall as it was when Princess Di dies. (You couldn't even leave most radio stations on without at the very least hearing the special Candle In the Wind version for her playing)
          I had, until now, blessedly suppressed that from my memory.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I had, until now, blessedly suppressed that from my memory.

Comment

The British broadcasting station Channel 5 has decided not to cover the funeral on Monday.

https://www.indy100.com/news/queen-f...ovie-channel-5

With the Queen’s funeral taking place on Monday and most TV channels blocking out their schedules to livestream the ceremony, it’s understandable if some people want to watch something a little bit lighter during the current period of national mourning.

The Emoji Movie, however, is not what we – or indeed, many others – had in mind, but it’s being offered on Channel 5 from 11:10am, right when the BBC, ITV and Sky will be airing the funeral service of the late monarch which begins at 11am.

The 2017 animated film, which starred James Corden and Patrick Stewart as the hi-5 and poop emoji respectively (yes, really), was a commercial flop – with the site Rotten Tomatoes giving it a Tomatometer score of just six per cent.

It’s worth mentioning, just in case you were somehow expecting the movie to be a cinematic masterpiece.

The channel will then air Stuart Little at 12:30pm, followed by the third film in the Ice Age series – Dawn of the Dinosaurs – at 1:55pm.

However, it’s Channel 5’s decision to air The Emoji Movie which has been praised online, after entertainment reporter Scott Bryan shared the news on Friday
              "Commercial flop"? Sure, the reviews were bad, but it grossed $217.8 million off of a $50 million budget. That's not a commercial flop.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                "Commercial flop"? Sure, the reviews were bad, but it grossed $217.8 million off of a $50 million budget. That's not a commercial flop.
                I was merely quoting the article.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Over here it was much worse after Princess Diana died. I was so glad to have cable although it seemed that about the only ones not covering it were the cooking channel and cartoon channel.
                  "Those whom the gods love" etc.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I was merely quoting the article.
                    If someone had bothered to follow her own advise

Always cross reference your sources

Comment

Rules for Thee but not for me.

Comment

"Those whom the gods love" etc.
                        That was one of the more irritating aspects. Teary-eyed women reporters constantly insisting how America was enthralled by the funeral over and over seeking to justify the wall-to-wall 24/7 coverage they were giving it day after day.

No. "America" was not enthralled with it all. Virtually the only ones who were watching it non-stop were women[1] and only a minority of them. The rest of us had better things to do and when we didn't, wanted something else to watch than that maudlin affair.

1. anecdotal, but I didn't know a single male who wasn't asking when will this end although I'm sure there were some exceptions. Moreover, that was confirmed by polling taken back then. Very few men were all that concerned -- which resulted in us being labeled uncaring brutes and the like my the sob sister chorus.

Comment

I was not making any claims. Unlike you!
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That was one of the more irritating aspects. Teary-eyed women reporters constantly insisting how America was enthralled by the funeral over and over seeking to justify the wall-to-wall 24/7 coverage they were giving it day after day.

No. "America" was not enthralled with it all. Virtually the only ones who were watching it non-stop were women[1] and only a minority of them. The rest of us had better things to do and when we didn't, wanted something else to watch than that maudlin affair.

1. anecdotal, but I didn't know a single male who wasn't asking when will this end although I'm sure there were some exceptions. Moreover, that was confirmed by polling taken back then. Very few men were all that concerned -- which resulted in us being labeled uncaring brutes and the like my the sob sister chorus.
                            I didn't watch, but I do find the whole thing "interesting." I feel the same way surrounding the selection of a new pope, and Buddhist ceremonies and festivals when I was living in japan.

In a way, this is moreso, because it is both familiar and foreign at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Rules for Thee but not for me.
                              Enter Tabaqui, the Dish-licker.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Enter Tabaqui, the Dish-licker.
                                Flattery gets you no where.

Comment