Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden the "war hero"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden the "war hero"

Apparently the left thinks that old Joe has been slacking lately in the making stuff up about his life department and has decided to lend a hand. I guess it isn't enough for Biden to fabricate stories about what he did through every period of his life, leading to wild Walter Mitty-like stories not even remotely true about being thrown in jail in South Africa while trying to visit Nelson Mandela, they have decided to make him into a war hero.

Source: Fact Check: False! MSNBC Analyst Paints Biden As A 'Retired War Hero'

There are lies, damned lies, and MSNBC.

On Nicolle Wallace's MSNBC show this afternoon, MSNBC contributor and journalism professor Jason Johnson got off the whopper to end all whoppers. He said:

"If you believe the story, which I do, that [Biden] said, I had no intention of running for president. "He was, he was the retired war hero out in the mountain, chopping wood. Charlottesville brought him back into the fight that he never thought he'd have to fight again."

Fact: Biden never served in the military, let alone having been a "war hero." He got four draft deferments for "asthma."

When it came to being a war hero, perhaps Johnson was confusing Biden with President George H.W. Bush. In World War II, he enlisted on his 18th birthday, and became the youngest naval pilot. He was shot down in the Pacific and tried his best to rescue his comrades.

As for "chopping wood," that's something President Ronald Reagan did. And President George W. Bush, who was also a pilot in the Air National Guard, was famous for clearing brush at his Texas ranch. Biden's the "hero" of sniffing hair.

Johnson was buttering up Biden for a few sentences, and then complained the speech had "no teeth" and not enough specificity on Republican acts of hate. Later, he complained Biden was for funding the police, which he argued is stuffed with "white nationalists."

Source

© Copyright Original Source

More than one critic has pointed out that Biden's asthma remarkably cleared up soon after he wasn't at risk of being drafted. It should also be noted that asthma is often a disqualifier for being a lifeguard -- something old Joe actually did do, and even reminisces about young kids rubbing the hairs on his legs

And to be fair, old Joe never came out in favor of defunding the police. He issued a lot of mealy mouthed statements where he avoided taking a hard stand and did support reallocating funds away from law enforcement, but as time went on, and the crime rate started rising, he slowly became increasingly against defunding.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Apparently the left thinks that old Joe has been slacking lately in the making stuff up about his life department and has decided to lend a hand. I guess it isn't enough for Biden to fabricate stories about what he did through every period of his life, leading to wild Walter Mitty-like stories not even remotely true about being thrown in jail in South Africa while trying to visit Nelson Mandela, they have decided to make him into a war hero.

On Nicolle Wallace's MSNBC show this afternoon, MSNBC contributor and journalism professor Jason Johnson got off the whopper to end all whoppers. He said:

"If you believe the story, which I do, that [Biden] said, I had no intention of running for president. "He was, he was the retired war hero out in the mountain, chopping wood. Charlottesville brought him back into the fight that he never thought he'd have to fight again."

Fact: Biden never served in the military, let alone having been a "war hero." He got four draft deferments for "asthma."

When it came to being a war hero, perhaps Johnson was confusing Biden with President George H.W. Bush. In World War II, he enlisted on his 18th birthday, and became the youngest naval pilot. He was shot down in the Pacific and tried his best to rescue his comrades.

As for "chopping wood," that's something President Ronald Reagan did. And President George W. Bush, who was also a pilot in the Air National Guard, was famous for clearing brush at his Texas ranch. Biden's the "hero" of sniffing hair.

Johnson was buttering up Biden for a few sentences, and then complained the speech had "no teeth" and not enough specificity on Republican acts of hate. Later, he complained Biden was for funding the police, which he argued is stuffed with "white nationalists."

Source

More than one critic has pointed out that Biden's asthma remarkably cleared up soon after he wasn't at risk of being drafted. It should also be noted that asthma is often a disqualifier for being a lifeguard -- something old Joe actually did do, and even reminisces about young kids rubbing the hairs on his legs

And to be fair, old Joe never came out in favor of defunding the police. He issued a lot of mealy mouthed statements where he avoided taking a hard stand and did support reallocating funds away from law enforcement, but as time went on, and the crime rate started rising, he slowly became increasingly against defunding.
    I'll nit pick. They are making an allusion to the story of Cincinnatus, an analogy, if you will. In this instance, I don't believe they are specifically calling old Joey a war hero, but alluding to the trope of the old hero who has retired being brought back into service. (How many 80's action movie use this backstory for it's hero?)

I do however, think that the whole idea though is not true. Biden didn't get "drawn back in." He tried to run in 2016, but obama pushed him not to. With Hillary out of the way, he tried again and succeeded. Saying that he had happily retired and got pulled back in just doesn't match reality.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I'll nit pick. They are making an allusion to the story of Cincinnatus, an analogy, if you will. In this instance, I don't believe they are specifically calling old Joey a war hero, but alluding to the trope of the old hero who has retired being brought back into service. (How many 80's action movie use this backstory for it's hero?)

I do however, think that the whole idea though is not true. Biden didn't get "drawn back in." He tried to run in 2016, but obama pushed him not to. With Hillary out of the way, he tried again and succeeded. Saying that he had happily retired and got pulled back in just doesn't match reality.
      From the show

NICOLLE WALLACE: Jason Johnson is already here, though, politics and journalism professor at Morgqn State University. Also an MSNBC contributor. Jason Johnson, Susan Bro saying that the president was following through on a promise, the campaign promise, which is certainly an interesting bookend to his candidacy today.

JASON JOHNSON: Yes, I mean, this is something that Joe Biden has believed in. Andif you believe the story, which I do, that he said, like, I had no intention of running for president, he was the retired war hero out in the mountain, chopping wood, and Charlottesville brought him back into the fight that everyone thought he'd have to fight again. And I found that to be charming and engaging.

Using a war hero brought out of retirement analogy is quite a stretch for old Joe.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

From the show

NICOLLE WALLACE: Jason Johnson is already here, though, politics and journalism professor at Morgqn State University. Also an MSNBC contributor. Jason Johnson, Susan Bro saying that the president was following through on a promise, the campaign promise, which is certainly an interesting bookend to his candidacy today.

JASON JOHNSON: Yes, I mean, this is something that Joe Biden has believed in. Andif you believe the story, which I do, that he said, like, I had no intention of running for president, he was the retired war hero out in the mountain, chopping wood, and Charlottesville brought him back into the fight that everyone thought he'd have to fight again. And I found that to be charming and engaging.

Using a war hero brought out of retirement analogy is quite a stretch for old Joe.
        I think the entire "out of retirement" thing is simply wrong. But, none of it seems to be so much a claim that he was a "war hero." I believe that part is more just colorful language alluding to the old trope, I just think the trope doesn't work here at all. I mean, nobody in charlottesville was out there saying "if only we had Biden in the whitehouse.....he should run again.

Heck, even at the beginning of the primaries for 2020, nobody was clamouring for Biden. He was settled on after they decided none of the diversity on the stage was "electible" enough for them.

Comment

I think the entire "out of retirement" thing is simply wrong. But, none of it seems to be so much a claim that he was a "war hero." I believe that part is more just colorful language alluding to the old trope, I just think the trope doesn't work here at all.
          Given how he was practically chomping at the bit to run with nobody needing to talk him into it, the idea that they were merely referring to the trope of the reluctant warrior seems a bit of a stretch.

Comment

Given how he was practically chomping at the bit to run with nobody needing to talk him into it, the idea that they were merely referring to the trope of the reluctant warrior seems a bit of a stretch.
            Oh yeah the "reluctant warrior" doesn't fit his actions at all. I believe that is what they are trying to sell, but I just don't think that's true.

In other words, I do believe there is a lie in the OP, I just don't think it's about him being a "war hero".

Comment

Oh yeah the "reluctant warrior" doesn't fit his actions at all. I believe that is what they are trying to sell, but I just don't think that's true.

In other words, I do believe there is a lie in the OP, I just don't think it's about him being a "war hero".
              That's my take as well.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

That's my take as well.
                I'm open to that being the case but the fit is just so far off that it seems unlikely.

Comment

Source

Johnson was buttering up Biden for a few sentences, and then complained the speech had "no teeth" and not enough specificity on Republican acts of hate.

That's because there are no specific acts of Republican hate. Liberals hide in generalities because they know they are impossible to disprove.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm open to that being the case but the fit is just so far off that it seems unlikely.
                    I believe the term you are looking for is "gaslighting".
                    We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post

I believe the term you are looking for is "gaslighting".
                      Whether about old Joe being a "war hero" or that they had to "draft" him into running for president (the same guy who has been running for president since the mid 1980s!), the claim is truly bizarre.

Comment

Whether about old Joe being a "war hero" or that they had to "draft" him into running for president (the same guy who has been running for president since the mid 1980s!), the claim is truly bizarre.
                        We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

washington.jpg

Comment