Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is it "What she would have wanted"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You also have forgotten this.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/food-banks...165804376.html

The UK's leading food bank charity has warned of a winter crisis as demand increases but donations drop off amid the worsening cost-of-living crisis.

Households across the UK are facing a cost of living nightmare this winter as high inflation and record breaking energy bills eat into household budgets.

Energy consultants Cornwall Insight on Tuesday said they expect the energy price cap to increase to £3,358 annually from October, rising again to £3,615 from January, resulting in an average of £3,487 this winter.

Elsewhere, inflation is already at its highest in 40 years – and expected to hit 11% by 2023.

The Trussell Trust, the UK's leading food bank, has warned that growing pressure on household budgets is leading to fewer people donating supplies.

Alarmingly, this coincided with what the charity describes as "soaring need", with the organisation handing out what amounts to 13 food parcels per second in May.

Danni Malone, director of network programmes, told Yahoo News UK the organisation is concerned about supplies this winter.

"I think the thing that concerns us, as we look out across the winter, is that kind of unprecedented rise in demand coupled with a decrease in donations," said Malone.

She said Trussell Trust food banks are seeing customers who cannot afford heating, are unable to afford school uniforms for their children, and are even turning off their fridges to save energy.

"Things are definitely getting worse," she added.

And from March this year:

https://news.sky.com/story/food-bank...-says-12573336

Food bank users are turning down potatoes and other root vegetables because soaring fuel costs makes it too expensive to cook them, the boss of a leading UK supermarket chain has said.

Speaking before Chancellor Rishi Sunak delivered his spring statement, Iceland's managing director Richard Walker said: "It's incredibly concerning. We're hearing of some food bank users declining potatoes and root veg because they can't afford the energy to boil them."

Mr Walker told Today on Radio 4 that the pressure of trying to keep prices down was "relentless".

In the statement, the chancellor raised the national insurance threshold by £3,000 and announced a cut in fuel duty tax by 5p a litre.

Whilst he offered no new direct action on energy bills, Mr Sunak scrapped VAT on energy efficiency measures such as solar panels, heat pumps and installed insulation for five years.

He also doubled the Household Support Fund which helps vulnerable families to £1bn, but Labour criticised him for not doing enough.

What does this have to do with them being open? The amount of food they have isn't going to change, and even if open, given the rest of the country mourning, it likely won't help the donations.

So, again, I ask, what's the relevance of this?

Comment

That the "Magna Mater" of the United Kingdom would have wanted her people to go hungry simply because she was being buried.

As to your initial reply, although I have never used a foodbank, I suspect supplies are limited, and issuing everyone with double rations the day before might actually not be feasible.

This is just another example of the British over-reaction to the death of an immensely privileged, unimaginably wealthy, and very old lady.
      You seem to be under the impression that food banks only give out enough for a single day. That does not seem to be the case, so it's unlikely them closing the food banks for a day will cause anyone to go hungry.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Most food banks in the us that I have experienced (poor growing up), gave out bulk supplies when a family showed up. Bags of beans, blocks of cheese, canned goods, etc. A food bank wasn't a soup kitchen, you didn't show up for a meal, you showed up to supplement your monthly groceries. (You got to go once a month).
        Even our little operation does that -- it would be cruel to make them come every day for their "daily bread".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Yup. You don't show up every day for that day's meal. The one I volunteered for several decades back typically loaded everything up in boxes for ease of transport with people coming in bi-weekly.
          EGGzackly --- even "shelf milk" (cartons of milk that don't require refrigeration) and other staples.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You seem to be under the impression that food banks only give out enough for a single day. That does not seem to be the case, so it's unlikely them closing the food banks for a day will cause anyone to go hungry.
            An immediate meal on the spot sounds like a "soup kitchen." We have one or more of those in the nearby city to accommodate the homeless. Perhaps H_A is confusing food banks with soup kitchens.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

An immediate meal on the spot sounds like a "soup kitchen." We have one or more of those in the nearby city to accommodate the homeless. Perhaps H_A is confusing food banks with soup kitchens.
              Yeah, even in the OP it says...

“We do normally close on Bank Holidays and as this is now a bank holiday we have decided to allow our staff and workers the opportunity to show their respects.”

Perhaps this is yet another example of how liberals think that poor people are TOO STUPID to figure out how to get by a "bank holiday".

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I expect it's more motivated reasoning. She's shown a level of animosity towards the monarchy, and I suspect that food banks closing for a "frivilous" reason (i.e. the queen doesn't deserve a public funeral) aligns with that animosity. As such, she's jumped over any level of rational evaluation and went straight to "bad," the 'donation' point she brings up supports that assumption, because it has no bearing on the closing, but is being used to rationalize why it's "bad".

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I expect it's more motivated reasoning. She's shown a level of animosity towards the monarchy, and I suspect that food banks closing for a "frivilous" reason (i.e. the queen doesn't deserve a public funeral) aligns with that animosity. As such, she's jumped over any level of rational evaluation and went straight to "bad," the 'donation' point she brings up supports that assumption, because it has no bearing on the closing, but is being used to rationalize why it's "bad".
                  Certainly, and when combined with her utter lack of knowledge of even the basics of how a food bank works (far too 'low' for someone of her ivory tower to lower herself to volunteer at, I'm sure), you end up with an embarrassment of a thread like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

EGGzackly --- even "shelf milk" (cartons of milk that don't require refrigeration) and other staples.
                    I forgot about all the cans of Carnation canned milk there were[1].

Almost as many as the regular Campbell's soups.

1. And dang it if one of them didn't get dented and start leaking

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I forgot about all the cans of Carnation canned milk there were[1].

Almost as many as the regular Campbell's soups.

1. And dang it if one of them didn't get dented and start leaking
                      Yeah, we always bought "shelf milk" when a tropical storm or hurricane was in the gulf in case we lost power for an extended period of time.
                      (During Ike, we were without power for 14 days)

shelf milk.jpgshelf milk 2.jpg
                      YOWZA, that stuff has gotten EXPENSIVE!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Certainly, and when combined with her utter lack of knowledge of even the basics of how a food bank works (far too 'low' for someone of her ivory tower to lower herself to volunteer at, I'm sure), you end up with an embarrassment of a thread like this.
                        "We only have enough food to give out to 200 people, if we are closed on Monday, we'll only be able to give out food to 200 people."

Reminds me of the old joke: "Sir, do you want your pizza cut into 8 or 16 slices?" "Cut it into 8, I don't think I could eat 16".

Comment

Au contraire.

I was struck by the Christian charity expressed here for the less fortunate in society and which, I suspect, is from two individuals who have never had to worry about from where their next meal was coming.

What does our responses have to do with charity? We simply pointed out your ignorance of how food banks even work and the fact that they said they close on holidays regularly. This question is just a deflection to take the spotlight off of your ignorance. Basically a "Look! Squirrel!" moment. And it is hilarious. The fact that you are apparently unable to just say "oops, my mistake!" and have to find a way to deflect and attack others instead is hilarious.

Comment

from two individuals who have never had to worry about from where their next meal was coming.
                            Just wanted to point out that your complete ignorance of how food banks work shows that it is YOU who has never had to worry where your next meal is coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, we always bought "shelf milk" when a tropical storm or hurricane was in the gulf in case we lost power for an extended period of time.
                              (During Ike, we were without power for 14 days)

shelf milk.jpgshelf milk 2.jpg
                              YOWZA, that stuff has gotten EXPENSIVE!!!!
                              I have a bag of powdered milk and some canned milk for emergencies.

Comment

Au contraire.

I was struck by the Christian charity expressed here for the less fortunate in society and which, I suspect, is from two individuals who have never had to worry about from where their next meal was coming.
                                Just what we need - yet ANOTHER idiot Texas Bounty Hunter Thread.

Comment