Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Swedish National Elections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    D-ude.

For this to work you need to including tone and inflection, body language and facial expressions.
    Dude.

A friend and I once had an extended conversation using only the word.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

They say in these instances the best approach is to step aside and allow them to proceed.

I confess to having a perverse fondness for greasing the tracks now and then.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        It is not my contention, madam. It is the dictionary's contention.
        This is arguing about what color to best paint the walls in a building scheduled for demolition in 2 days. She's arguing over the definition of a word used in a snarky comment from cowpoke about why he bothers to discuss things in good faith with her.

The comment had nothing really to do with the discussion, and arguing over the definition of "discussion" in that comment is even less relevant. It's best to assume that she doesn't CARE about the word "Discussion" and is just doing this as a form of gaslighting/trolling.

She did the same thing a while back when she was called out over he behavior, she started insisting you can't "observe behavior" on an internet forum, even though through numerous posts she her self had claimed to "observe" "behavior" of other posters.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

This is arguing about what color to best paint the walls in a building scheduled for demolition in 2 days. She's arguing over the definition of a word used in a snarky comment from cowpoke about why he bothers to discuss things in good faith with her.

The comment had nothing really to do with the discussion, and arguing over the definition of "discussion" in that comment is even less relevant. It's best to assume that she doesn't CARE about the word "Discussion" and is just doing this as a form of gaslighting/trolling.

She did the same thing a while back when she was called out over he behavior, she started insisting you can't "observe behavior" on an internet forum, even though through numerous posts she her self had claimed to "observe" "behavior" of other posters.
          Well, duh.

sigpic

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, duh.
              I expect the best way to handle this situation is the same way I handle discussions with my kids when they start just start arguing over something like "But dad, they aren't insects, they are BEES!" and going back and forth a couple of times.

"Whatever you say".

The donkey told the tiger: The grass is blue.

The tiger replied: No, the grass is green.

The discussion became heated, and the two decided to submit the issue to arbitration, and to do so they approached the lion.

Before reaching the clearing in the forest where the lion was sitting on his throne, the donkey started screaming: ′′Your Highness, isn't it true that the grass is blue?"

The lion replied: "True, the grass is blue".

The donkey rushed forward and continued: ′′The tiger disagrees with me and contradicts me and annoys me. Please punish him".

The king then declared: ′′The tiger will be punished with 5 years of silence".

The donkey jumped with joy and went on his way, content and repeating: ′′The grass is blue"..

The tiger accepted his punishment, but he asked the lion: ′′Your Majesty, why have you punished me, after all, the grass is green?"

The lion replied: ′′In fact, the grass is green".

The tiger asked: ′′So why do you punish me?"

The lion replied:

That has nothing to do with the question of whether the grass is blue or green. The punishment is because it is not possible for a brave, intelligent creature like you to waste time arguing with a donkey, and on top of that to come and bother me with that question
              The worst waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions. Never waste time on discussions that make no sense... There are people who for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand, and others who are blinded by ego, hatred and resentment, and the only thing that they want is to be right even if they aren’t.
              When ignorance screams, intelligence shuts up. Your peace and tranquility are worth more.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                When ignorance screams, intelligence shuts up. Your peace and tranquility are worth more.
                Great story except for the moral. If ignorance screams and intelligence shuts up then you can be certain that ignorance will prevail and spread.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

D-ude.

For this to work you need to including tone and inflection, body language and facial expressions.
                  [H_A mode] I DID! You didn't read it properly. It's all YOUR fault - even if everybody on the planet reads it the same way --- you're ALL wrong. [/H_A mode]
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Great story except for the moral. If ignorance screams and intelligence shuts up then you can be certain that ignorance will prevail and spread.
                    Depends on the situation.

I prefer the other moral: "Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Comment

• x
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

[H_A mode] I DID! You didn't read it properly. It's all YOUR fault - even if everybody on the planet reads it the same way --- you're ALL wrong. [/H_A mode]
                      DUDE.

Comment

x

DUDE.
                        Dudette!

and bacon
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Dudette!
                          You're lucky you were smilin' when you said that.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          and bacon
                          And that is what saved yours

Comment

It is not my contention, madam. It is the dictionary's contention.
                            No it is not the dictionary's contention. That is your interpretation of this definition;

consideration of a question in open and usually informal debate

Using the scenario I presented re two neighbours briefly commenting on the weather, you appear to consider any brief verbal interaction to constitute a "discussion".

What word would you employ to describe the following [again hypothetical] situation?

You purchase an item in the winter sale at a large store
                            The retail employee/check-out operator comments on your bargain
                            You laughingly acknowledge your good fortune.
                            You complete the transaction
                            Your purchase is given to you
                            You both exchange the usual pleasantries.
                            You leave the store.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

No it is not the dictionary's contention. That is your interpretation of this definition;

Using the scenario I presented re two neighbours briefly commenting on the weather, you appear to consider any brief verbal interaction to constitute a "discussion".

What word would you employ to describe the following [again hypothetical] situation?

You leave the store.

Cow Poke looked at your tactics and questioned why he discusses thing with you in good faith. You have spent the last number of pages arguing over the definition of "discussion" proving his point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You leave the store.
                                Since there is an (implied) question, it can indeed be considered a discussion under that definition. If, however, one prefers to consult dictionary.com, it is unquestionably a discussion.

sigpic

Comment