Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lindsey Graham trying to intentionally sabotage the midterms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindsey Graham trying to intentionally sabotage the midterms?

You tell me.

A guy known by the right as an obvious RINO, as establishment as they come, and a fan of Biden (you can see a video of him crying like a little baby over how much he admires Biden), obviously hates populist Reps, knowing full well how much of a hotbed topic abortion is to the left and how close the polls have become apparently because of abortion, introduces a bill like this he knows doesn't have a chance (which was also a change of a view he previously held), and I'm supposed to believe he's not trying to throw the midterms in favor of the Dems?

Or is he really just that dumb? You be the judge.

Graham's proposed near-total national abortion ban quickly meets GOP resistance

(bold emphasis mine)

The move by Graham, on a day when Republicans had hoped to focus on poor inflation numbers, put some of his colleagues in a awkward political position.

Republican Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina told reporters he would rather stress issues other than abortion.

"I, for one, want to focus on the inflation numbers that came out today, the imminent potential strike with (freight) railway workers. That's what people are talking about," said Tillis.

GOP Sen. Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, one of the party's most vulnerable incumbents who supported Mississippi's desire to ban most abortions in the Dobbs v. Jackson case the Supreme Court decided in June, indicated he would not support federal intervention.

"At this point in time, nothing is going to pass Congress. It's got to be decided in the states. I think that is the appropriate place for this to be decided," Johnson told ABC News on Tuesday.

Sen. John Cornyn of Texas signed on to that idea, too, telling ABC News, "My preference is to have each state handle those issues." Cornyn previously supported a 20-week federal ban on most abortions that Graham introduced in 2020, but he said Tuesday that that was before the Supreme Court overturned Roe, sending the issue back to the states.

At least 15 states have ceased nearly all abortion services since June, ABC News reports.

The new proposal from Graham also marks a departure from recent comments where he, too, said abortion was an issue best left to the states, tweeting in May, "If the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, which I believe was one of the largest power grabs in the history of the Court, it means that every state will decide if abortion is legal and on what terms."

On Tuesday, Graham defended his change in position, saying, "After they (Democrats) introduced a bill to define who they are, I thought it would be nice to introduce a bill to define who we (Republicans) are."

1) In a matter like the lives of innocent, defenseless humans, I'm fine with Federalizing it. If there were any States that for some reason did not consider murder a crime, I would favor Federalizing that also.

2) I don't know or care what Graham's motivation is.

3) I don't care about strategery. If the only way to win is by hiding from the abortion issue, let us lose, and bigly so, and let's get down to the business of literally dividing up the country.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The point though is that if you don't win the midterms, you may never be able to federalize it, and the Dems may do it before you ever get a chance. He couldn't hold off for like three months more?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        You tell me.

A guy known by the right as an obvious RINO, as establishment as they come, and a fan of Biden (you can see a video of him crying like a little baby over how much he admires Biden), obviously hates populist Reps, knowing full well how much of a hotbed topic abortion is to the left and how close the polls have become apparently because of abortion, introduces a bill like this he knows doesn't have a chance (which was also a change of a view he previously held), and I'm supposed to believe he's not trying to throw the midterms in favor of the Dems?

(bold emphasis mine)

In one respect Graham is right

"Our legislation, which bans abortion after 15 weeks gestation, will put the United States abortion policy in line with other developed nations such as France, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Spain and other European nations,"

However, because the USA does not have the same medical access as many European nations [and is a far far larger country] the issue of concern would be for women being able to find the money, and physically get to a clinic to have an abortion, before that fifteen-week cut off point. If over-the-counter abortifacients were easily available in the USA that would certainly help to alleviate the problems associated with raising the finances, and actually getting to a clinic.

From here https://www.healthline.com/health/bi...ontrol#methods

CONTRACEPTIVE DESERTS
        A contraceptive desert refers to a region where the number of health centers offering the full range of methods in the area isn’t enough to meet the needs of the population.

The states with the fewest clinic options for birth control include:
        • South Dakota
        • North Dakota
        • Nebraska
        • Kansas
        • Texas
        • Alabama
        • Alaska
        That is hardly a helpful situation for either men and women.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

You tell me.

(bold emphasis mine)

FWIU the Democrats have been clamoring for a federal law but have made no effort to do so, and here is one that would ban them only after 15 weeks.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You tell me.

Wait, how can someone both be "establishment as they come" and a "republican in name only" After all, the True Republicans would be "the establishment"

Comment

I have never thought of Lindsay Graham as a RINO.

A real RINO would be complaining that SCOTUS was wrong to say Abortion is a states issue. Not try to ban abortion completely.

Comment

I doubt Graham is trying to deliberately sabotage the election. I think he's just in the DC bubble and doesn't realize how this proposal might look to the average citizen.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Graham's expertise is appeasing the Military Industrial Complex. He's never seen an opportunity for a war he didn't want to exploit.

Beyond that one awful attribute, he's just your average swamp creature. I can see him chumming up with Biden if there is personal gain to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Wait, how can someone both be "establishment as they come" and a "republican in name only" After all, the True Republicans would be "the establishment"
                    I would consider "True Republican" a true conservative against the establishment. Rand Paul would the extreme side of a true conservative. Mitch McConnell would be the other extreme side of a true establishment Rep. Though that doesn't mean at times Paul and McConnell don't see eye-to-eye on policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      Graham's expertise is appeasing the Military Industrial Complex. He's never seen an opportunity for a war he didn't want to exploit.

Beyond that one awful attribute, he's just your average swamp creature. I can see him chumming up with Biden if there is personal gain to be had.
                      There's literally video of him stating how much he admires Biden and how we're all crazy not to admire him as much he does.

Comment

As expected Graham's "blunder" is making the headlines. Perfect fodder for leftists and the midterms. Or more like Graham added fuel to the fire.

Comment

Even McConnell, of all people, comes out to do damage control, knowing full well the consequences Graham's press confernece has on the midterms....

McConnell throws shade on Graham’s proposed national abortion ban

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on Tuesday made clear that Senate Republicans are not eager to debate Sen. Lindsey Graham’s (R-S.C.) proposal to ban abortions nationwide after 15 weeks of pregnancy, telling reporters that most GOP senators want to leave the issue to states.

McConnell also said Graham’s proposal is the South Carolina senator’s own initiative and not something being pushed at the leadership level.

“With regard to his bill, you’ll have to ask him about it. In terms of scheduling, I think most of the members of my conference prefer that this be dealt with at the state level,” he told reporters.

McConnell and his leadership team wants to focus instead on President Biden’s handling of the economy and inflation, which the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Tuesday increased 8.3 percent over the past year.

Yet Graham held a press conference earlier in the day to introduce legislation that would ban abortions nationwide after 15 weeks of pregnancy and subject doctors who violate the ban to sentences of up to five years in prison.

Graham admitted that he did not consult with McConnell before making his push for a 15-week abortion ban.

He said he introduced the legislation with the support of several prominent anti-abortion rights groups such as the National Right to Life Committee, March for Life and Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America.

McConnell said it’s up to the Republican candidates in various Senate battleground races to explain how they view the hot-button issue.
                          You know you done messed up when you've got McConnell trying to walk back your "blunder."
                          Last edited by seanD; 09-14-2022, 12:16 PM.

Comment

You tell me.
                            Right move, the completely wrong time!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Right move, the completely wrong time!
                              It's got to be one of the two: Either Graham is extraordinarily dumb or he's intentionally trying to give Dems the advantage. What say you?

Comment