Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lindsey Graham trying to intentionally sabotage the midterms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Because the same argument will come up as an excuse after the election as well, with only two years in between elections. It's not for nothing that the GOP has frequently been accused of refusing to act on abortion because doing so would remove a talking point.
    I pretty much agree but I don't have any illusions that this accomplished a lot. Like I told Sean, it could be a preliminary step for later, but I think it was just playing to Graham's own base.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I pretty much agree but I don't have any illusions that this accomplished a lot. Like I told Sean, it could be a preliminary step for later, but I think it was just playing to Graham's own base.
      I do get that as the political reality. I still think it's worth aggressively pushing back against the idea that fighting for life makes one a RINO or should not be done (OP and I have gone back and forth on this after he acknowledged in another thread that he's not particularly concerned about the issue of abortion). If it does make one a RINO, own the label as far as I'm concerned.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I do get that as the political reality. I still think it's worth aggressively pushing back against the idea that fighting for life makes one a RINO or should not be done (OP and I have gone back and forth on this after he acknowledged in another thread that he's not particularly concerned about the issue of abortion). If it does make one a RINO, own the label as far as I'm concerned.
        I believe the way I expressed my view on abortion was I wasn't "passionate" about it, not that I wasn't concerned about it. And it was in the context of the gun control debate, meaning I didn't have as much passion about it as other Christians probably do than I do other issues like 2A, in a sense that I believed the former was a lost cause in an evil secular world. Legally I believed we had a better chance at defending 2A than overturning abortion (of course this was before the supreme court decision proved me wrong).

And I didn't say Graham is a RINO because he's pro-abortion. I meant he's known by some on the right as a RINO for other reasons. My point was that if my belief is correct that he's intentionally trying to sabotage the midterms, there has to be some reason why.

One reason may be that, since he's a RINO, he doesn't want the slew of anti-establishment populist Republicans to win any seats. He likes convention and wants to keep the establishment order in tact, even if it means keeping establishment Dems in those seats. Another reason could be that since he's openly admitted that he "admires" Biden because they're both pro-establishment cohorts (even though they pretend to politically oppose each other), it's possible he wouldn't want Reps to take control and launch their investigations into Biden's corrupt affairs because he admires his establishment buddy so much.

Comment

Sure, but there's also something to be said for picking not only your battles but their timing - because at the end of the day, the object of the game is to win. There is no one size fits all - sometimes we need to charge ahead regardless of the political consequences and sometimes we need to hold off until we have the advantage.

And be careful of listening to anyone who thinks its always one or the other. Both can sabotage the ultimate goal.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment