Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Nah it was mostly Charles they accused.
    According to the Oprah interview the only ones who were not racist in the royal family were the Queen and Prince Phillip, which is interesting given the latter's long history of racist and "troubling" remarks. In fact, they even accused the British media of racism with Meghan proclaiming they called her children the [n-word], although I haven't run across any examples.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Her decline was pretty evident for several months now.
      Well, I'll admit to not keeping up with foreign news of that sort, although I've since read that she was still performing state functions and greeting dignitaries just a day before her death, so it still seems to have transpired relatively quickly.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

With a length of 23 seconds, "Her Majesty" is the shortest song the Beatles ever recorded:

The Queen is dead. Long live the King.
        Last edited by Reepicheep; 09-09-2022, 08:36 AM.
        "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
        "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

So exactly what power does a King or Queen have in the UK? Are they just basically a figure head/diplomat? How does it all work?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            So exactly what power does a King or Queen have in the UK? Are they just basically a figure head/diplomat? How does it all work?
            The monarch's powers vary with the country. To the best of my knowledge, the only real power the monarch holds is to disband the military. In Australia, powers are a bit broader - even to sacking the government (which has been done, once). What happens in New Zealand, Canada etc. - no idea.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The monarch's powers vary with the country. To the best of my knowledge, the only real power the monarch holds is to disband the military. In Australia, powers are a bit broader - even to sacking the government (which has been done, once). What happens in New Zealand, Canada etc. - no idea.
              You guys can elect people into office only to have the king or queen proclaim "we are not amused" and summarily dismiss all of them?

Boy, did we make the right choice in 1776.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Way back in high school (1977) I was taught that the Queen's power in Canada is absolute, so long as she never uses it.

The Canadian military, for example, reports directly to the Monarchy (King Charles III) and not the Canadian government. More specifically, the Canadian Chief of the Defense Staff reports directly to the Governor General of Canada (who is appointed by the Reigning Monarch) who reports to King Charles III.
                "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
                "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Largely as a figurehead. Most of their powers have been delegated to other parts of government.

They're head of the military though (commander in chief), and also appoint the Prime Minister. Usually it's whoever has support of the majority of parliament but they can choose their own (usually only do that with a hung parkiament). They can also dissolve parliament and get a new election held.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    You guys can elect people into office only to have the king or queen proclaim "we are not amused" and summarily dismiss all of them?

Boy, did we make the right choice in 1776.
                    It isn't all that simple. The government has to lose the ability to govern or be trying to govern illegally before the power can be invoked. By "sacking the government" I mean all of it - both houses, every seat declared vacant, matters go back to the electorate try again.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Largely as a figurehead. Most of their powers have been delegated to other parts of government.

They also appoint the Prime Minister. Usually it's whoever has support of the majority of parliament but they can choose their own
                      Last monarch to try that was Victoria, who didn't like the parliamentary leader of the majority party. She lost the fight.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Last monarch to try that was Victoria, who didn't like the parliamentary leader of the majority party. She lost the fight.
                        Yep. Technically they have the power to dismiss the PM as well, but that hasn't happened since 1834 (and likely would never be exercised except perhaps an extreme circumstance like a PM refusing to resign after a no confidence or something like that)

Comment

Just listen to Charles, he is giving up all his charities and politics - thankfully we won't have to hear about global warming from him anymore...
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It seems they mainly exist as figureheads, historical curiosities living lavishly at the taxpayer's expense.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It seems they mainly exist as figureheads, historical curiosities living lavishly at the taxpayer's expense.
                              Putting all the creepy things about them aside, I'll never figure out why America fawns over them. Aren't these the folks we led a bloody revolution to get away from?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I'll never figure out why America fawns over them. Aren't these the folks we led a bloody revolution to get away from?
                                As Christians we are monarchist. We worship the Sovereign King of the Universe. Perhaps a good and decent queen like Elizabeth reflect (a bit) that status.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment