Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

Small mercies - his narcissistic unhappiness with missing out will at least give me some comfort.

I've never seen it, so it depends where it is up to... will it end on a cliff-hanger, do you think?
    Oh the best bits were due to be aired - Diana, divorce, and death!
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

I'm actually familiar with London Bridge, as I'm a (small) part of it. I've been having planning meetings about it since ~2016/7, if I remember correctly.

I may find the concept of a royal family repugnant, but it's part of my job to make sure my part of London Bridge goes to plan- for those who care about such things.
      Even those of us who are not Royalists will recognise this as the end of an era for the UK.

When the day comes for you I hope your duties are not too onerous.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

From reading that article in The Guardian I realise that but does the BBC know something no one else does? I suspect not. It seems more like preparation for the inevitable.
        Here in the US, CNN and Fox News are giving the situation the same preparation for the inevitable treatment.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

It is sure hard to image her not being present. She was coronated before I was born.

Just proves the only constant is change.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            It is sure hard to image her not being present. She was coronated before I was born.

Just proves the only constant is change.
            She is a great queen, and good woman...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It is the state religion - as I understand it, the only western country to actually have one. Normally such things are associated with Islamic nations.

However, it appears that the Head of that state religion may be on her death bed.
              I'm not sure how my post ended up in this thread as this is a subject I would normally avoid. But since I'm here...

I can't really bring myself to mourn wealthy elites who live long and charmed lives, mostly off of taxpayers, and whose husband considered most of the people in the world as "surplus population."

Comment

The Queen is dead. BBC World Service just announced it.
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The Queen is dead. BBC World Service just announced it.
                  King Charles? God help them...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

BBC -

"The King and the Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow."
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      BBC -

"The King and the Queen Consort will remain at Balmoral this evening and will return to London tomorrow."
                      I'm actually a bit sad, she was an exceptional monarch.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

King Charles? God help them...
                        He's no spring chicken himself. He's 73 and, for lack of a better word, he is a placeholder for William. I personally expect, barring a collapse of the monarchy, his reign will end with no major impacts on the world.

Comment

Wow, this seems very sudden. I just assumed she would outlive us all. So Charles finally gets his chance to wear the crown. I wonder how it will fit?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In 75 I flew into Heathrow, and caught a bus to Victoria station to start a backpacking trip through Europe. On the way in I was sitting next to an older woman on a bus. I saw all these burned out buildings, I asked her if they had a large fire recently, she put her hand gently on my arm and said, oh no dear, that was from the Blitz (of course I felt foolish). Elizabeth grew up through those dark times and I suspect that colored and informed her whole reign...

Comment

I understand Ronson point about elites. Right now, I'm just going to focus on a human being has died and many people are going to be sorrowful.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                                I understand Ronson point about elites. Right now, I'm just going to focus on a human being has died and many people are going to be sorrowful.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish anybody's demise (well, maybe heinous killers), but neither can I mourn for people I don't know and/or don't respect. That goes for entertainers as well as politicians. I mourned for Mother Teresa.

Comment