Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Juvenal
    replied
    I wish the Queen a speedy recovery.

Live coverage from the BBC.
    Last edited by Juvenal; 09-08-2022, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Is the Anglican church really a church, though? I understand it is more of a façade.
    It is the state religion - as I understand it, the only western country to actually have one. Normally such things are associated with Islamic nations.

However, it appears that the Head of that state religion may be on her death bed.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ctors-concerns

Doctors have expressed concern for the Queen’s health and recommended she remain under medical supervision, Buckingham Palace has said.

In a statement, the palace said: “Following further evaluation this morning, the Queen’s doctors are concerned for Her Majesty’s health and have recommended she remain under medical supervision.”

The Queen remains comfortable at Balmoral Castle.

The Commons Speaker, Sir Lindsay Hoyle, told MPs: “I know I speak on behalf of the entire house when I say that we send our best wishes to Her Majesty the Queen and that she and the royal family are in our thoughts and prayers at this moment.”

Concerns over the health of the 96-year-old head of state escalated when she pulled out of a virtual privy council meeting on Wednesday after doctors ordered her to rest.

Prince Charles was at her side at her Scottish residence, and Prince William was travelling to be with her.

A Clarence House spokesman said: “Their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have travelled to Balmoral.”

A Kensington palace spokesman said: “The Duke of Cambridge is travelling to Balmoral.”

A spokesman for Harry and Meghan said they were also travelling to Balmoral. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were due to attend the WellChild awards ceremony in London on Thursday evening, but have changed their plans to travel to see the Queen,” the spokesman said.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex, and the Duke of York, were also travelling to Balmoral, while Princess Anne was already there, having been undertaking engagements in Scotland this week.

The prime minister, Liz Truss, said: “The whole country will be deeply concerned by the news from Buckingham Palace this lunchtime.”

“My thoughts – and the thoughts of people across our United Kingdom – are with Her Majesty The Queen and her family at this time”.

The Queen was seen in public for the first time in several weeks when she received the outgoing and incoming prime ministers at her Scottish residence this week. She looked bright but frail, and used a walking stick during Tuesday’s audiences with Boris Johnson, who tendered his resignation, and Truss, whom she appointed as his successor.

On Wednesday it was announced that the Queen had cancelled the planned virtual privy council meeting.

Buckingham Palace said at the time: “After a full day yesterday, Her Majesty has this afternoon accepted doctors’ advice to rest. This means that the privy council meeting that had been due to take place this evening will be rearranged.”

Watch this space!

Leave a comment:

• firstfloor
    started a topic Elizabeth II

Elizabeth II

News today indicates that The Queen’s health is failing. Well wishers from around the globe unite in sympathy for the Royal family. The Queen is under medical supervision at Balmoral.