Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Elizabeth II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I understand even fools and the misguided are allowed to make their views known. Speaker's Corner at Hyde Park on a Sunday morning can be high entertaining.
    When I was in Seattle, there was a platform where Muslim men were allowed to angrily yell at the crowd about being infidels - I thought it was amusing, but free speech, indeed.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Apparently not during Elizabeth's funeral.
      The suppression of free speech ran for the entire "official mourning" period, and I suspect, in some quarters continues.

As the Brit "village idiot" Nick made clear in his opinion [linked by EvoUK on another thread] X can say Y but A cannot say B.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

The suppression of free speech ran for the entire "official mourning" period, and I suspect, in some quarters continues.

As the Brit "village idiot" Nick made clear in his opinion [linked by EvoUK on another thread] X can say Y but A cannot say B.
        Things should be returning to "normal" with the police arresting folks for saying the wrong pronoun rather than not singing praises to the queen.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Things should be returning to "normal" with the police arresting folks for saying the wrong pronoun rather than not singing praises to the queen.
          You must have missed the news. Under Truss all that wokeism is going to be censored and controlled.

She also made some unfortunate gaffes that caused offence to British Jews during her leadership campaign.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You must have missed the news. Under Truss all that wokeism is going to be censored and controlled.

She also made some unfortunate gaffes that caused offence to British Jews during her leadership campaign.
            "censored and controlled", or simply reined in?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend holding your breath in anticipation.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I would consider being arrested for holding a sign, or shouting out "Who elected him?", or being threatened with arrest by a police officer for holding a blank sheet of paper [if certain words were to be written on it that "may offend someone"] to be an indication of censorship.

What do you think?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I would consider being arrested for holding a sign, or shouting out "Who elected him?", or being threatened with arrest by a police officer for holding a blank sheet of paper [if certain words were to be written on it that "may offend someone"] to be an indication of censorship.

What do you think?
                  I really don't know enough about this to have an opinion - which is why I was asking.

Comment

I really don't know enough about this to have an opinion - which is why I was asking.
                    Those examples I gave all occurred. So would you consider those individuals were being:

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Those examples I gave all occurred. So would you consider those individuals were being:

I'd need to see the context, and I really don't care about it that much, so I'll disengage.

Comment

I'd go with the former, but that doesn't support your contention that, as you declared, "wokeism is going to be censored and controlled," now does it?

Comment

I'd go with the former, but that doesn't support your contention that, as you declared, "wokeism is going to be censored and controlled," now does it?
                          And that's the question I had --- is "wokeism" going to be censored and controlled, or simply 'reined in'.

Comment

And that's the question I had --- is "wokeism" going to be censored and controlled, or simply 'reined in'.
                            Looking at the evidence provided by H_A, so far there is no indication of either.

Comment

• ‘Woke’ is defined as - alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism:

The anti-woke types are saying, in effect, that when confronted by injustice and discrimination, they will look away. For them, the cries for help are loud and annoying.
                              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                ‘Woke’ is defined as - alert to injustice and discrimination in society, especially racism:

The anti-woke types are saying, in effect, that when confronted by injustice and discrimination, they will look away. For them, the cries for help are loud and annoying.
                                More like how they want to be perceived when in reality they are nothing but virtue signaling scolds usually of the hyper-hypocritical sort like we saw in Martha's Vineyard recently. The ones who really do look away and turn their backs the moment they are given a chance to put their money where their mouth is.

Comment