Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

UK school chaplain sues after being fired, reported as terrorist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK school chaplain sues after being fired, reported as terrorist

UK school chaplain sues after being fired, reported as terrorist for sermon questioning LGBTQ activists

'Woke activists are eating away at the Church of England's guts,' said Rev. Dr. Bernard Randall, who is alleging religious discrimination

A school chaplain in the United Kingdom is taking legal action against his former employer after he says he was fired because of a 2019 sermon that told students they are entitled to make up their own minds about the claims of LGBTQ identity politics.

"I gave a sermon in chapel saying you don't have to accept anybody's ideology, you make up your own mind," said Rev. Dr. Bernard Randall of his sermon, which remains available online. "On certain issues, LGBT activists and Christians are in full agreement: there should be no discrimination, no one should be attacked personally or whatever. But there are issues where there's disagreement."

Randall, an ordained minister in the Church of England who worked five years at Trent College in Derbyshire, England, was also reported to the government's counterterrorism watchdog by his school and blacklisted as a "safeguarding risk" to children by his diocese because of his sermon, he told Fox News Digital in a Tuesday phone interview.

Randall said the idea for the sermon came to him after one of his pupils asked him to speak in chapel about why they "have to accept" LGBTQ ideology at a Christian school. Trent College, which is affiliated with the Church of England, had previously brought in Elly Barnes, CEO and founder of Educate and Celebrate, an LGBTQ education charity, to train school staff.

Barnes reportedly encouraged school staff to chant "smash heteronormativity" at a training session. Her group, which did not respond to a request for comment from Fox News Digital, aims to help schools and organizations "embed gender, gender identity and sexual orientation into the fabric" of their culture, according to its website.

Randall said he raised concerns at the time with school leadership that Barnes' directives would be at odds with the school's Protestant evangelical ethos, but that he was left out of the decision to implement her organization's program. Days after his controversial sermon in 2019, he was reportedly called before the school's deputy head and its designated safeguarding lead (DSL) and told that his beliefs were irrelevant and that his sermon had hurt some people's feelings.

Following an investigation, the school fired Randall. He later learned that the school's DSL also reported him to local law enforcement and Prevent, which polices allegations of terrorism in the United Kingdom. The government watchdog ultimately determined that he did not pose a terrorist threat.

In his sermon, Randall explained to his young students, all of whom were aged 11 to 17, what the Church of England's historical teachings are on marriage, sexuality and gender. He reminded them they are not required to embrace the claims of LGBTQ activists, and are entitled under English law to believe what they wish on such issues.

"So the school leadership took exception to that, dragged me in for an interrogation, suspended me, subsequently sacked me for gross misconduct despite being a Church of England school," he said. "I was a Church of England minister in a Church of England act of worship, giving a sermon saying you may accept Church teaching."

After being fired, Randall was reinstated following an appeal, but he said his reinstatement came with a list of conditions, one of which forbade him to broach "any topic or express any opinion (in Chapel or more generally around School) that is likely to cause offense or distress to members of the school body." He also had to obtain prior approval from the school regarding the themes and content of his sermons.

Randall was furloughed during the pandemic, never restored to full-time hours and ultimately made redundant on Dec. 31, 2020.

In an employment tribunal that begins Wednesday and could last as long as three weeks, Randall is bringing claims of harassment, discrimination, victimization and unfair dismissal on the grounds of his Christian beliefs against Trent College. With the aid of the Christian Legal Centre, he is also seeking compensation for unfair dismissal and a recommendation under the Equality Act 2010.

Citing the ongoing tribunal, Trent College administrators told Fox News Digital in a statement that they are "unable to comment in detail on the specifics of the case."

Randall said that his diocese also investigated him following his sermon. Rather than supporting him, the diocese deemed him a risk to children because of his views. The kicker on their assessment, he said, was that the investigating officer deemed "the Church itself as a risk factor," acknowledging that portions of Scripture and church liturgy support Randall's position.

"They decided that simply holding to the Church's teachings meant that I was potentially a safeguarding risk; that I might cause anxiety to anybody who came to talk to me about matters regarding sexuality and whatever," he said. "Based on no evidence other than I just accept the teachings of the Church that employs me and employs the people who are making the safeguarding assessment."

continues at:
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-sch...gbtq-activists

Way to go UK!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Way to go UK!
      Yeah his own church is against him. And all he did was tell kids to make up their own minds and quote the bible.

Comment

Is the Anglican church really

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah his own church is against him. And all he did was tell kids to make up their own minds and quote the bible.
          Yup. From what would have to be "the other side," PinkNews:

his diocese launched its own investigation and conducted a risk assessment. It concluded he posed a “moderate” risk and might cause children “anxiety” if they came to him with “a sexuality or relationship issue”.

And

“The Bishop of Derby is saddened that Mr Randall is bringing these grievances and has tried to ensure pastoral care for him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Yup. From what would have to be "the other side," PinkNews:

his diocese launched its own investigation and conducted a risk assessment. It concluded he posed a “moderate” risk and might cause children “anxiety” if they came to him with “a sexuality or relationship issue”.

And

“The Bishop of Derby is saddened that Mr Randall is bringing these grievances and has tried to ensure pastoral care for him.
            So basically these guys work for the devil?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

So basically these guys work for the devil?
              can'tdisagree.gif

I will say, except for a comment about suing for "hurt feelings" the article was surprisingly balanced given the source.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Is the Anglican church really
                It's not homogenous, and it's in flux. I do like to attend an Anglican Church that is essentially an evangelical church with a high church flavor. Like with the United Methodist Church with a schism in progress (the denomination has quite a few churches in the South that aren't thrilled right now), there's the Continuing Anglican Movement that is no longer officially affiliated with Canterbury.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

UK school chaplain sues after being fired, reported as terrorist for sermon questioning LGBTQ activists

'Woke activists are eating away at the Church of England's guts,' said Rev. Dr. Bernard Randall, who is alleging religious discrimination

A school chaplain in the United Kingdom is taking legal action against his former employer after he says he was fired because of a 2019 sermon that told students they are entitled to make up their own minds about the claims of LGBTQ identity politics.

"I gave a sermon in chapel saying you don't have to accept anybody's ideology, you make up your own mind," said Rev. Dr. Bernard Randall of his sermon, which remains available online. "On certain issues, LGBT activists and Christians are in full agreement: there should be no discrimination, no one should be attacked personally or whatever. But there are issues where there's disagreement."

Randall, an ordained minister in the Church of England who worked five years at Trent College in Derbyshire, England, was also reported to the government's counterterrorism watchdog by his school and blacklisted as a "safeguarding risk" to children by his diocese because of his sermon, he told Fox News Digital in a Tuesday phone interview.

Randall said the idea for the sermon came to him after one of his pupils asked him to speak in chapel about why they "have to accept" LGBTQ ideology at a Christian school. Trent College, which is affiliated with the Church of England, had previously brought in Elly Barnes, CEO and founder of Educate and Celebrate, an LGBTQ education charity, to train school staff.

Barnes reportedly encouraged school staff to chant "smash heteronormativity" at a training session. Her group, which did not respond to a request for comment from Fox News Digital, aims to help schools and organizations "embed gender, gender identity and sexual orientation into the fabric" of their culture, according to its website.

Randall said he raised concerns at the time with school leadership that Barnes' directives would be at odds with the school's Protestant evangelical ethos, but that he was left out of the decision to implement her organization's program. Days after his controversial sermon in 2019, he was reportedly called before the school's deputy head and its designated safeguarding lead (DSL) and told that his beliefs were irrelevant and that his sermon had hurt some people's feelings.

Following an investigation, the school fired Randall. He later learned that the school's DSL also reported him to local law enforcement and Prevent, which polices allegations of terrorism in the United Kingdom. The government watchdog ultimately determined that he did not pose a terrorist threat.

In his sermon, Randall explained to his young students, all of whom were aged 11 to 17, what the Church of England's historical teachings are on marriage, sexuality and gender. He reminded them they are not required to embrace the claims of LGBTQ activists, and are entitled under English law to believe what they wish on such issues.

"So the school leadership took exception to that, dragged me in for an interrogation, suspended me, subsequently sacked me for gross misconduct despite being a Church of England school," he said. "I was a Church of England minister in a Church of England act of worship, giving a sermon saying you may accept Church teaching."

After being fired, Randall was reinstated following an appeal, but he said his reinstatement came with a list of conditions, one of which forbade him to broach "any topic or express any opinion (in Chapel or more generally around School) that is likely to cause offense or distress to members of the school body." He also had to obtain prior approval from the school regarding the themes and content of his sermons.

Randall was furloughed during the pandemic, never restored to full-time hours and ultimately made redundant on Dec. 31, 2020.

In an employment tribunal that begins Wednesday and could last as long as three weeks, Randall is bringing claims of harassment, discrimination, victimization and unfair dismissal on the grounds of his Christian beliefs against Trent College. With the aid of the Christian Legal Centre, he is also seeking compensation for unfair dismissal and a recommendation under the Equality Act 2010.

Citing the ongoing tribunal, Trent College administrators told Fox News Digital in a statement that they are "unable to comment in detail on the specifics of the case."

Randall said that his diocese also investigated him following his sermon. Rather than supporting him, the diocese deemed him a risk to children because of his views. The kicker on their assessment, he said, was that the investigating officer deemed "the Church itself as a risk factor," acknowledging that portions of Scripture and church liturgy support Randall's position.

"They decided that simply holding to the Church's teachings meant that I was potentially a safeguarding risk; that I might cause anxiety to anybody who came to talk to me about matters regarding sexuality and whatever," he said. "Based on no evidence other than I just accept the teachings of the Church that employs me and employs the people who are making the safeguarding assessment."

continues at:
                  https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-sch...gbtq-activists
                  And that's what can happen without a separation of church and state

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It has nothing to do with a lack of separation of Church and state (even though the CoE is tied to the state) - This sort of thing is happening all over the place, especially in Europe. It has more to do with not having something like the First Amendment that guarantees Freedom of Speech and Religion, and the fact that liberals have infiltrated so many churches. Many countries like England and even Canada are making expressing Christian religious views based on the bible to be "hate speech"

Of course they would never call out a Muslim for having the same views on LGBTQ+ as Christians (and having the death penalty for it in Sharia law countries).

Here are a couple of other instances of preachers being arrested for preaching the bible:

https://www.newsweek.com/uk-pastor-a...upport-1588593
                    https://adflegal.org/blog/christian-...l-behavior-sin

And a lot of churches are going along with this such as the CoE.

Comment

It has nothing to do with a lack of separation of Church and state (even though the CoE is tied to the state) - This sort of thing is happening all over the place, especially in Europe. It has more to do with not having something like the First Amendment that guarantees Freedom of Speech and Religion, and the fact that liberals have infiltrated so many churches. Many countries like England and even Canada are making expressing Christian religious views based on the bible to be "hate speech"

Of course they would never call out a Muslim for having the same views on LGBTQ+ as Christians (and having the death penalty for it in Sharia law countries).

Here are a couple of other instances of preachers being arrested for preaching the bible:

https://www.newsweek.com/uk-pastor-a...upport-1588593
                      https://adflegal.org/blog/christian-...l-behavior-sin

And a lot of churches are going along with this such as the CoE.

It does, though. The government has direct control over the church and said church schools which are then technically state schools. So when the government is pushing this sort of stuff, the religion and people within it are SOL

Comment

It does, though. The government has direct control over the church and said church schools which are then technically state schools. So when the government is pushing this sort of stuff, the religion and people within it are SOL
                        But this is happening to Christians who are not related to the Church of England. Because they have decided speaking against LGBT is now hate speech according to the UK Public Order Act. Even atheists would be arrested for doing so in public. But since they have no religious speech protection in the UK like the US does, Christians can't even rely on "it's what the bible says and therefore what I believe" defense.

Comment

One of the most poorly understood concepts in US politics and not even something you'll find in the Constitution.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment