Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liz Truss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liz Truss

Being a conservative I am pro Liz Truss being the new British Prime Minister. As a woman I hope she soon gets a wardrobe make-over!!

Grrr if I have to see that same dress pattern in different colours one more time...Theresa May always looked good well dressed with a good hair-style...

I actually do think optics are important. Liz Truss looks frumpish and soft in comparison to Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May. In my humble opinion of course.

I heard Liz Truss comes from very left wing parents and was herself an advocate for leftist policies but later changed her mind and became a conservative which is the one thing I really admire her for.

She remained faithful to Boris Johnson and was not one of those who betrayed him. This too is something I admire her for.

But she really needs a good make over...lol.
    Last edited by Esther; 09-06-2022, 11:20 AM.

Johnson betrayed himself with his lies and proven lawbreaking. Even then they only dumped him due to his fall in popularity in the polls, not for any moral reasons. She's proof that the awful Tories are scraping the barrel with leadership contenders.

The sooner her and her excremental party are out the better.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      Johnson betrayed himself with his lies and proven lawbreaking. Even then they only dumped him due to his fall in popularity in the polls, not for any moral reasons. She's proof that the awful Tories are scraping the barrel with leadership contenders.

The sooner her and her excremental party are out the better.
      Ok but are you able to recommend a good wardrobe professional for LT in the meantime at least?

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
        Ok but are you able to recommend a good wardrobe professional for LT in the meantime at least?
        Sackcloth & ashes?

Comment

Sackcloth & ashes?
          Ha ha good one.

Comment

Seriously?

In 2022, a woman gets elected Prime Minister of Great Britain and the issue is her clothes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Seriously?

In 2022, a woman gets elected Prime Minister of Great Britain and the issue is her clothes.
              What can I say for me yes it is something I notice as well as her admirable qualities.

Comment

Seriously?
                It's not as if taking issue with her policies would matter either.

I sometimes think posters think they are solving world problems.

One could complain Biden brain damaged or a racist and it wouldn't matter. He is both, and it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Esther View Post
                  Being a conservative I am pro Liz Truss being the new British Prime Minister. As a woman I hope she soon gets a wardrobe make-over!!

Grrr if I have to see that same dress pattern in different colours one more time...Theresa May always looked good well dressed with a good hair-style...

I actually do think optics are important. Liz Truss looks frumpish and soft in comparison to Margaret Thatcher and Theresa May. In my humble opinion of course.

I heard Liz Truss comes from very left wing parents and was herself an advocate for leftist policies but later changed her mind and became a conservative which is the one thing I really admire her for.

She remained faithful to Boris Johnson and was not one of those who betrayed him. This too is something I admire her for.

But she really needs a good make over...lol.

I am sure that the British tax payer - after Truss's disastrous seven weeks in office and which as a result of her ludicrous budget has left them £30 billion worse off do not share your view.

[box]https://www.theguardian.com/politics...us-mini-budget

Liz Truss’s disastrous mini-budget cost the country a staggering £30bn – doubling the sum that the Treasury says will have to be raised by Jeremy Hunt this week in a huge programme of tax rises and spending cuts.

The independent Resolution Foundation calculates that the Truss government was responsible for about £30bn of the fiscal hole which the Treasury puts at £60bn, and which Hunt will have to tackle in the autumn statement on Thursday.

The thinktank also says the £30bn figure would have been far higher without the U-turns already taken by Hunt on the Truss plans.[/quote]

It seems that Ms Truss ignored the comment by the woman she so pathetically tried to emulate. "You can't buck the market".
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Due to her and Kwarteng screwing the budget so spectacularly, not only will Hunt have to raise taxes in his next budget (likely to fall mostly on lower income earners rather than those with the most, because Tories), but if and when Labour finally do get in, they'll be inheriting such a crap fest of a country, with so many public services needing huge urgent cash injections to fix years of Tory misrule, that their options will be severely limited.

They also won't have a largely pliant Tory press behind them either, so the Tory-caused issues will then be blamed squarely on them.

*sigh*

Comment

Due to her and Kwarteng screwing the budget so spectacularly, not only will Hunt have to raise taxes in his next budget (likely to fall mostly on lower income earners rather than those with the most, because Tories), but if and when Labour finally do get in, they'll be inheriting such a crap fest of a country, with so many public services needing huge urgent cash injections to fix years of Tory misrule, that their options will be severely limited.

They also won't have a largely pliant Tory press behind them either, so the Tory-caused issues will then be blamed squarely on them.

*sigh*
                      Over here something like 50% of households (almost all low to middle income) pay no income tax at all so raising taxes never directly affects them. Yet many still clamor for their "refund" on something they never paid when a tax cut is given.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Over here something like 50% of households (almost all low to middle income) pay no income tax at all so raising taxes never directly affects them. Yet many still clamor for their "refund" on something they never paid when a tax cut is given.
                        While demanding that the rich pay thier "fair share" which is never what they are currently paying, even after their taxes were raised to pay their "fair share"

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

While demanding that the rich pay thier "fair share" which is never what they are currently paying, even after their taxes were raised to pay their "fair share"
                          My favorite was when (IIRC) John Stossel asked Al Sharpton what he thought should be the maximum tax rate for someone on their earnings, and after thinking for a few seconds Sharpton replied 25%. He was stunned to find that it was over 40% at the time.

And yet he still calls on others to pay their "fair share" while being himself a major league tax cheat still owing millions of dollars in back taxes (with the amount growing yearly) for well over a decade perhaps two. Of course he knows the government will never push the issue like they've done with other celebrities so he continues to not pay them while demanding others pay more.

Comment

*sigh*
                            Heaven knows what political version of the Augean stables Labour will eventually inherit but yes the rabid sections of the Tory press will then turn on them when the party attempts the Herculean task of cleaning it all up.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Heaven knows what political version of the Augean stables Labour will eventually inherit but yes the rabid sections of the Tory press will then turn on them when the party attempts the Herculean task of cleaning it all up.
                              You know, if a political system is set up to where you can create near irreparable harm in only 7 weeks.....that might actually be a problem with the political system.

Comment