Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Hopefully Oberlin College Will Go Under...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully Oberlin College Will Go Under...

Ohio Supreme Court rejects Oberlin College’s appeal of $36 million defamation verdict

COLUMBUS, Ohio—The Ohio Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to review a lower-court ruling that Oberlin College must pay $36 million to a nearby bakery that sued after the school and an administrator joined students in accusing the business’ owners of racism.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/...n-verdict.html
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Ohio Supreme Court rejects Oberlin College’s appeal of $36 million defamation verdict

COLUMBUS, Ohio—The Ohio Supreme Court on Tuesday declined to review a lower-court ruling that Oberlin College must pay $36 million to a nearby bakery that sued after the school and an administrator joined students in accusing the business’ owners of racism.

Interesting press release from Oberlin
    [box]“We will continue in that important work while remaining focused on our core educational mission.”[/quote]

Seems to me that their "educational mission" included teaching students how to slander people and form lynch mobs.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The finding of libel is fair but $36 million seems excessive, especially given that the business was if anything probably helped by the publicity.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Seems to me that their "educational mission" included teaching students how to slander people and form lynch mobs.
        Yes, the Bakery owners sin was to try and stop a few "persons of color" from stealing from the store.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          The finding of libel is fair but $36 million seems excessive, especially given that the business was if anything probably helped by the publicity.
          No, it is a good slap back.

Comment

It was 24M plus attorney fees and interest. The interest will probably keep piling up if they don't pay. By the time the bakery pays taxes on the money they might end up with 12M.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It was 24M plus attorney fees and interest. The interest will probably keep piling up if they don't pay. By the time the bakery pays taxes on the money they might end up with 12M.
              It's a balancing act. If it's too small, it won't hurt the college at all and won't send a lesson. But I also hate the idea that people can get rich quick off lawsuits like that.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

For a small business they might get a short-term boost and then a drop in business overall. Still, I doubt that the local bakery is worth $36 million or would ever bring in that much, so I wonder what percent of the verdict amount was punitive.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Their endowment is over a billion. So no chance they will go under over this.

Comment

It's a balancing act. If it's too small, it won't hurt the college at all and won't send a lesson. But I also hate the idea that people can get rich quick off lawsuits like that.
                    I bet they lost a lot of money and future contracts because people believed the college that they were racists. That could easily run into millions of dollars for a business. And I am not against punitive damages to make sure it hurts the college. That will teach them not to do it next time. So yeah a balancing act.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      For a small business they might get a short-term boost and then a drop in business overall. Still, I doubt that the local bakery is worth $36 million or would ever bring in that much, so I wonder what percent of the verdict amount was punitive.
                      11 mil in damages, 33 mil in punitive, later reduced to 25 mil, and 6 mil in legal fees
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson...berlin_College

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I bet they lost a lot of money and future contracts because people believed the college that they were racists. That could easily run into millions of dollars for a business. And I am not against punitive damages to make sure it hurts the college. That will teach them not to do it next time. So yeah a balancing act.
                        They don't look to be a multi-million dollar business but rather like some mom and pop outfit. I wonder how many people work there.

Anywho, it does send a message to other institutes of higher learning eager to virtue signal at the expense of someone's livelihood.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The exact same thing, only completely different...

Source: Kansas Teacher Wins $95K Over Pronoun Controversy

This is a hot mess of delusion from Kansas school administrators.

It all started when a teacher stood her ground and pushed back against the leftist mob and their smorgasbord of pronouns. And, in a rare occurrence, the school district has now forked over $95,000 to the teacher as a settlement.

Back in 2021, the now-retired teacher, Pamela Ricard, was suspended from and reprimanded by Fort Riley Middle School “when she would only address a particular biologically female student ‘by the student’s legal and enrolled last name’ and not his preferred name or the ‘he/him’ pronouns he uses,” The Wichita Eagle reported.

It’s reported that Ricard was also forced by the school to lie to the student’s parents about “his” gender identity.

In the classroom, Ricard was told to refer to said student with the name “he” chose and using “he/him” pronouns. But when speaking with “his” parents, Ricard was expected to switch back to the student’s legal name and female pronouns. This conflict sparked a lawsuit against the school as Ricard said she was forced to go against her moral judgement and lie to both the parents and the student.

The Wichita Eagle explained how Ricard asked for a religious exemption for the school’s pronoun policy due to her closely held beliefs, but the school refused.

Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) represented Ricard in the lawsuit, with Director Tyson Langhofer calling the situation an attack on the “constitutionally protected freedom of teachers to teach and communicate honestly with both children and parents.” Another ADF employee, attorney Joshua Ney, summed up the situation seamlessly:

The Geary County School District unsuccessfully tried to convince a federal court that a teacher should completely avoid using a child’s name during a parent teacher conference in order to hide new names and genders being used by the school for a child in a classroom. Absurdity and deception has its limits, especially in federal court. I’m glad the case clarifies the financial stakes for school boards if they attempt to force teachers to lie to parents about their students.

ADF and Ricard redacted the lawsuit with the condition that Fort Riley Middle School officials would pay Ricard $95,000 in damages and attorney fees.

While this win is rare, it is a huge victory for free speech and in the battle against the woke mob.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm hoping this is but the start to a long trend.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I'm hoping this is but the start to a long trend.

Comment