Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MTG swatted twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTG swatted twice

I take these incidents as not just harassment, but an attempt to commit murder, using the police as the weapon.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
    I take these incidents as not just harassment, but an attempt to commit murder, using the police as the weapon.
    I wonder if democrats will look at there rhetoric as causing such things, or blame the victim?

Comment

If anything other than just harassment, someone is setting up for a real attack but wanting the police to be slow in reacting after several false alarms.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I wonder if democrats will look at there rhetoric as causing such things, or blame the victim?
        You left off the sarcasm tags.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          If anything other than just harassment, someone is setting up for a real attack but wanting the police to be slow in reacting after several false alarms.
          Well, she said that it was a good thing she didn't do what she normally would have done upon hearing loud banging on the door at 3 AM: Assume a possible home invasion and answer the door with gun in hand.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Swatting in particular is very dangerous not just to the person but to the cops. It's been happening a lot more recently to streamers, especially folks like TimPool who gets swatted pretty regularly.

Comment

Would you PLEASE put more in your op than a simple comment and a link?

I knew about this story, but if I didn’t, I sure wouldn’t learn anything about it by reading your op!

Tell us who the initials belong to, the main gist of the story, etc. Better yet, copy and paste at least part of the story into the post. It’s very frustrating!

And this is the second time in one of your threads, NR, that I’ve mentioned this.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The SWATTING call phone numbers aren't being identified? I thought all 911 calls show the origination number so the perp can be traced. If the originator number is blocked or foreign, then the dispatcher can assume it is likely false and relay that info to police, so they don't arrive with guns drawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  The SWATTING call phone numbers aren't being identified? I thought all 911 calls show the origination number so the perp can be traced. If the originator number is blocked or foreign, then the dispatcher can assume it is likely false and relay that info to police, so they don't arrive with guns drawn.
                  I'd think that the same technology that allows scammers to look like they're calling from a different number than they actually are could be in play here. They might make it look like it is coming from a phone registered to MTG.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I'd think that the same technology that allows scammers to look like they're calling from a different number than they actually are could be in play here. They might make it look like it is coming from a phone registered to MTG.
                    MTG should change her phone number and get one that is unlisted.

Comment

Likely used a VPN internet call/spoofer to obscure their location, pretty common for scam and swatting calls. Probably can track it down with some effort and warrants, but won't be easy. Unless of course they were dumb enough to use their own phone number.

Comment

MTG should change her phone number and get one that is unlisted.
                        Even then they can just use a georgia area code to spoof and the police are probably going to respond.

Her best bet is likely to have the local police and sheriffs, etc., all flag her address, give them her personal number, and then when they do respond they'll be aware of the past incidents and can even contact her (most will likely still check it out, but not show up with a heavily armed response at least). I think Tim Pool has a similar setup with the police around him since he gets swatted so often, same with a number of Twitch streamers.

Comment

I can see someone getting "swatted" once, but how does that happen multiple times in such a short span of time?

Comment

According to what she said in interviews, the origin of the call was spoofed. The swatter allegedly called the police to "confess" and explain the reason for the swatting, but used a spoofed number and a voice synthesizer, and gave no identifying info.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

As bad as MTG is, "swatting" is worse.

I sincerely hope the perpetrator is caught and punished appropriately.

Comment