Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas Law Requires 'In God We Trust' Signs In Schools; Arabic Signs Headed Their Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    That appears to say that size is just one feature that is regulated. If the bill violates the others it would still be illegal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I don't think "God" should be thrown around cavalierly. As a whole, the US does not trust God, after all, and to insist the phrase be used everywhere borders on being blasphemous.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I don't think "God" should be thrown around cavalierly. As a whole, the US does not trust God, after all, and to insist the phrase be used everywhere borders on being blasphemous.
        For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Will you be getting rid of any money you run across -- aside from spending it I mean? If so, I'll dispose of it for you -- and unlike that mangy pirate, won't even charge you a fee to do so.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Will you be getting rid of any money you run across -- aside from spending it I mean? If so, I'll dispose of it for you -- and unlike that mangy pirate, won't even charge you a fee to do so.

Yes, I'll be heading to Wal-Mart to dispose of some of it.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Yes, I'll be heading to Wal-Mart to dispose of some of it.
            Just send it to me and save gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              As soon as I heard about this Texas law passing last year, requiring any privately-gifted 'In God We Trust' signs to be displayed in schools in a conspicious place, I knew someone was going to do something to subvert it, just didn't know how.

To be fair, the legislators tried their hardest to prevent that sort of subversion, being very specific to prevent people from, say, sending in pictures of Zeus or Satan with 'in god we trust' on it, by requiring the donated signs to only contain text saying "In God We Trust", and the only images allowed being the American and the Texas state flags. But they forgot to specify any language for "In God We Trust" has to be written in.

So thanks to some crowdfunding in Florida, they will soon have some In God We Trust signs headed to schools in Texas that meet the legal requirements.... just with "In God We Trust" written in Arabic. And by that law they must be put up.

Article about the law:

Article about the Arabic signs:
              Brilliant and well done Mr Stevens.

It is a stupid law with, once again, some people wanting to push their ideas and beliefs everywhere.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

I'm a bit confused. How is putting it up in Arabic supposed to mean anything at all? It's treated as if it's some kind of loophole in the rules, but... it's saying the same thing.

Is it because the word for God in Arabic is Allah and thus it could look Islamic? The difficulty is that because it's in Arabic, almost no one will even know what it says, and anyone who knows Arabic well enough to read it would presumably also know that while in English the word Allah is normally only used to refer to God in Islam, in the context of the Arabic language it is simply the general word for God, used by Muslims and Christians alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                  I'm a bit confused. How is putting it up in Arabic supposed to mean anything at all? It's treated as if it's some kind of loophole in the rules, but... it's saying the same thing.

Is it because the word for God in Arabic is Allah and thus it could look Islamic? The difficulty is that because it's in Arabic, almost no one will even know what it says, and anyone who knows Arabic well enough to read it would presumably also know that while in English the word Allah is normally only used to refer to God in Islam, in the context of the Arabic language it is simply the general word for God, used by Muslims and Christians alike.
                  To me it is very much like how, back in 2002, the University of Northern Colorado (UNC) intramural basketball team decided to “raise awareness” by naming their team the “Fighting Whities” and used a caricature of a 1950’s-era middle-aged white businessman and their slogan is: “Every thang’s [sic] gonna be all white for their team logo.

The purpose was teach white people a lesson of how it feels to be "demeaned" by being reduced to a team mascot like many Native Americans have.

Of course it backfired spectacularly. Or at least it failed as intended.

Solomon Little Owl, director of Native American Student Services at UNC, hoped to cause outrage, but instead of outrage, white Americans were delighted with the spoof and the team was overwhelmed with orders for the shirt displaying the team mascot! They ended up selling enough shirts that they were eventually able to endow a $79,000 scholarship fund for Native American students at Northern Colorado.

I guess Solomon Little Owl has never heard of the Minnesota Vikings or the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame or else he would have realized that nobody without a chip on their shoulder gets upset about things like that.

I think this is the same thing. Someone just knows this would cause "outrage" because it's written in that thar Mooslim script. But honestly, I'd be surprised if it elicits anything like the response that those who made it are confident that it will (every report I've seen on this describe the person behind it as an "activist").

Comment