Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Taken out of context apparently, but an unfortunate reference.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

The Original Hamburger.

Take scrapings of lamb
    Form them into a ball
    Place them under the saddle on a horse
    Ride the horse for the day: the movement of saddle against the horse's back tenderises the lamb
    At day's end, take the lamb and eat.

Tasty, yes?
    Sounds like the original recipe for steak tartar, but I believe it was horse meat.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Sounds like the original recipe for steak tartar, but I believe it was horse meat.
      Steak Tartar it was (but not horse meat). Original recipe can be found by googling "Gengis Kahn hamburger" (without the quotes).
      It became beef in Russia, then to France where it gained the name "steak tartar."
      Then to Hamburg and passenger liners plying between Hamburg and New York, where it came to be called initially "Steak Hamburg style"
      Then someone got the bright idea of cooking it, and it became hamburger.

Just by way of demonstrating that I too knows things.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The Original Hamburger.

Take scrapings of lamb
        Form them into a ball
        Place them under the saddle on a horse
        Ride the horse for the day: the movement of saddle against the horse's back tenderises the lamb
        At day's end, take the lamb and eat.

Tasty, yes?
        Texas Jambalaya
        • 2 tablespoons olive oil
        • 1 cup diced onion
        • ½ cup diced green bell pepper
        • ½ cup diced celery
        • 1 ½ teaspoons chopped garlic
        • 1 cup converted long-grain white rice
        • 4 ounces smoked sausage, cut into slices
        • 4 ounces cooked ham, cut into bite-size pieces
        • 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
        • 1 cup chicken broth
        • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
        • 1 bay leaf
        • 2 (15 ounce) cans ranch-style beans, undrained

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion, green pepper and celery, until onions are soft and translucent. Stir in garlic, and cook another minute. Add rice, sausage and ham. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, to coat the rice with oil, stirring frequently. Pour in tomatoes with green chiles and chicken broth. Season with thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Cover, and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the beans, mix well and heat through.

Comment

Steak Tartar it was (but not horse meat). Original recipe can be found by googling "Gengis Kahn hamburger" (without the quotes).
          It became beef in Russia, then to France where it gained the name "steak tartar."
          Then to Hamburg and passenger liners plying between Hamburg and New York, where it came to be called initially "Steak Hamburg style"
          Then someone got the bright idea of cooking it, and it became hamburger.

Just by way of demonstrating that I too knows things.
          Steak tartar (or is it tartare?) is essentially uncooked as opposed to a hamburger. In fact hamburger typically comes from chuck steak whereas a proper steak tartar is usually from the tenderloin.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• This thread has certainly taken some interesting turns.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              This thread has certainly taken some interesting turns.
              Tis the Tweb way.

Comment

Steak tartar (or is it tartare?) is essentially uncooked as opposed to a hamburger. In fact hamburger typically comes from chuck steak whereas a proper steak tartar is usually from the tenderloin.
                Steak tartare it is. I usually go with whatever spelling comes up though.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Interesting little discovery from 2010. It seems Mr Paladino's reference to Hitler in June was not his first.

https://www.jta.org/2010/09/21/ny/pa...tler-reference

Republican candidate for governor Carl Paladino on Tuesday struggled to explain inflammatory comments attributed to him about Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver by an upstate newspaper last year — comments driven to the forefront by his upset primary victory last week — ultimately saying, “I condemn the words.”

Last October Paladino, at a public forum in upstate Wheatfield in Niagara County, defended comments by Erie County Supervisor Chris Collins at a Republican dinner that Silver was “the anti-Christ” because of his spending and social policies. According to the Niagara Gazette, Paladino said Collins, who apologized for his remarks, should not have done so.

“If I could ever describe a person who would fit the bill of an anti-Christ or a Hitler, this guy [Silver] is it,” Paladino was quoted as saying.

A spokesman for Paladino on Monday had insisted Paladino never used those words, but at an appearance the next day with politically conservative Orthodox rabbis in Flatbush, Brooklyn, the candidate first said the quote was taken out of context, and then said: “I may have used the word Hitler.”

After one rabbi in the room said the comparison was “more than distasteful,” Paladino said, “I condemn the words, there’s no question about that.”
                  But he insisted he had only brought up the topic to defend Collins against charges of anti-Semitism. “I don’t have an anti-Semitic bone in my body,” he said. “I practiced law in Buffalo and I have many Jewish friends.”

Republican candidate for governor Carl Paladino on Tuesday struggled to explain inflammatory comments attributed to him about Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver by an upstate newspaper last year — comments driven to the forefront by his upset primary victory last week — ultimately saying, “I condemn the words.”

Last October Paladino, at a public forum in upstate Wheatfield in Niagara County, defended comments by Erie County Supervisor Chris Collins at a Republican dinner that Silver was “the anti-Christ” because of his spending and social policies. According to the Niagara Gazette, Paladino said Collins, who apologized for his remarks, should not have done so.

“If I could ever describe a person who would fit the bill of an anti-Christ or a Hitler, this guy [Silver] is it,” Paladino was quoted as saying.

A spokesman for Paladino on Monday had insisted Paladino never used those words, but at an appearance the next day with politically conservative Orthodox rabbis in Flatbush, Brooklyn, the candidate first said the quote was taken out of context, and then said: “I may have used the word Hitler.”

After one rabbi in the room said the comparison was “more than distasteful,” Paladino said, “I condemn the words, there’s no question about that.”
                  But he insisted he had only brought up the topic to defend Collins against charges of anti-Semitism. “I don’t have an anti-Semitic bone in my body,” he said. “I practiced law in Buffalo and I have many Jewish friends.”

An unfortunate final comment from Mr Paladino given its connotations.

And if I have sourced the correct Sheldon Silver [who died this year] Mr Silver's background was Orthodox Judaism. Mr Paladino once again exhibited his unfortunate gift.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                    Interesting little discovery from 2010. It seems Mr Paladino's reference to Hitler in June was not his first.

https://www.jta.org/2010/09/21/ny/pa...tler-reference

An unfortunate final comment from Mr Paladino given its connotations.

And if I have sourced the correct Sheldon Silver [who died this year] Mr Silver's background was Orthodox Judaism. Mr Paladino once again exhibited his unfortunate gift.
                    The final comment was similar to the battle cry among those liberal racists of recent decades who after doing or saying something racist would insist otherwise because "some of my best friends are black." Funny how you never saw them hanging out with any of those "best friends."

Comment

The final comment was similar to the battle cry among those liberal racists of recent decades who after doing or saying something racist would insist otherwise because "some of my best friends are black." Funny how you never saw them hanging out with any of those "best friends."
                      That reads as an example of "whataboutism" i.e. a reversal of accusation by contending that "liberal racists" are equally as guilty of such comments, which are as "unfortunate" as those made by Mr Paladino.

That Mr Paladino made such a comment some twelve years ago is merely another example of his unfortunate gift.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That reads as an example of "whataboutism" i.e. a reversal of accusation by contending that "liberal racists" are equally as guilty of such comments, which are as "unfortunate" as those made by Mr Paladino.

That Mr Paladino made such a comment some twelve years ago is merely another example of his unfortunate gift.
                        That was not intended as a defense of Paladino, but rather noting how he appears to be using a discredited defense.

Comment

That was not intended as a defense of Paladino, but rather noting how he appears to be using a discredited defense.
                          As I noted, his "unfortunate gift" was demonstrated.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• In any case, he appears to have lost his primary bid.

Comment

In any case, he appears to have lost his primary bid.
                              Yes.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment