Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Blatant Government Racism....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blatant Government Racism....

Teachers union agreement stipulating White teachers be laid off first criticized: 'Constitutionally suspect'

An agreement between the Minneapolis teachers union and school district states that White teachers and staff will be laid off first, regardless of seniority

An agreement between the Minneapolis teachers union and the Minneapolis Public Schools which stipulates that White teachers will be laid off before teachers of color, regardless of their seniority, violates the Civil Rights Act, as well as the Equal Protection Clause of the Constitution, several critics warned.

"The first thing is that this contract violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and the Equal Protection Clause under the U.S. Constitution," Heritage Foundation fellow Jonathan Butcher told Fox News Digital. "This is, I think, political posturing. It is not dealing with the most important issue which is helping students right now with math and reading."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/teache...onally-suspect
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Liberals don't believe it is racist to discriminate against white people.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Wow. The first white teacher laid off has him/herself quite a civil suit. Gee, they admit their illegality before they even do it! Nuts.

Comment

I don't know how it is in Minneapolis, but where I live, we're hearing all about how there's a massive shortage of teachers. Promising racial discrimination isn't a good way to get more applicants.

(Pay is the real culprit, of course. There was one man here who left the teaching career to go work at Wal-Mart, and the result was a $10,000 raise over the course of the year.)
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I don't know how it is in Minneapolis, but where I live, we're hearing all about how there's a massive shortage of teachers. Promising racial discrimination isn't a good way to get more applicants.

(Pay is the real culprit, of course. There was one man here who left the teaching career to go work at Wal-Mart, and the result was a $10,000 raise over the course of the year.)
          Must have become a store manager because the pay rate for teachers is typically pretty high. Most of those I know who left the profession took an initial pay cut.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            Wow. The first white teacher laid off has him/herself quite a civil suit. Gee, they admit their illegality before they even do it! Nuts.
            Minnesotans must have money to burn to be willing to pay for the massive lawsuits

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Minnesotans must have money to burn to be willing to pay for the massive lawsuits
              Either that or they expect self-hating white liberal teachers to quietly accept their fates. It is Minnesota, after all.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Must have become a store manager because the pay rate for teachers is typically pretty high. Most of those I know who left the profession took an initial pay cut.
                It seems my state is an outlier for low pay.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Thoughts from Stoic, Starlight, Juvenal, Hypatia_Alexandria ?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                    I'll speak for them. We should use present discrimination, to alter past discrimination.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I don't believe the agreement stipulates that white teachers will be laid off first.

The agreement, which was reached to end a two-week teacher strike last spring, says that starting this school year, "if excessing a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the site, the district shall excess the next least senior teacher, who is not a member of an underrepresented population."

So the agreement, on its face, appears to be colorblind.

Of course, if they define "underrepresented" in relation to the population of the entire country, rather than the local population, then the effect of the agreement might be to discriminate against white teachers, which I think would be illegal.

<edited to add the following>

Later in the article, there is this:

"To remedy the continuing effects of past discrimination, Minneapolis Public Schools and the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT) mutually agreed to contract language that aims to support the recruitment and retention of teachers from underrepresented groups as compared to the labor market and to the community served by the school district," a spokesperson for the Minneapolis Public Schools told Fox News Digital.

I don't know how they handle differences between the labor market and the community, but it looks like they are trying to be fair.
                      Last edited by Stoic; 08-17-2022, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I don't believe the agreement stipulates that white teachers will be laid off first.

The agreement, which was reached to end a two-week teacher strike last spring, says that starting this school year, "if excessing a teacher who is a member of a population underrepresented among licensed teachers in the site, the district shall excess the next least senior teacher, who is not a member of an underrepresented population."

So the agreement, on its face, appears to be colorblind.

Of course, if they define "underrepresented" in relation to the population of the entire country, rather than the local population, then the effect of the agreement might be to discriminate against white teachers, which I think would be illegal.

<edited to add the following>

Later in the article, there is this:

"To remedy the continuing effects of past discrimination, Minneapolis Public Schools and the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers (MFT) mutually agreed to contract language that aims to support the recruitment and retention of teachers from underrepresented groups as compared to the labor market and to the community served by the school district," a spokesperson for the Minneapolis Public Schools told Fox News Digital.

I don't know how they handle differences between the labor market and the community, but it looks like they are trying to be fair.
                        I would argue that disparate impact would be the argument there. After all, It's fairly easy to look at how they define "underrepresented population" and see how that would be applied.

Comment

I would argue that disparate impact would be the argument there. After all, It's fairly easy to look at how they define "underrepresented population" and see how that would be applied.
                          I agree that would be the argument. I don't see it as a terribly strong argument. There is only a disparate impact to the extent that some groups are underrepresented among teachers.

Of course, if it gets to the Republican-controlled Supreme Court, it may be a strong enough argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I agree that would be the argument. I don't see it as a terribly strong argument. There is only a disparate impact to the extent that some groups are underrepresented among teachers.

Of course, if it gets to the Republican-controlled Supreme Court, it may be a strong enough argument.
                            Disparate impact is used in arguments like "don't use SAT" because it has a disparate impact. But even then at least that is entirely colorblind. "Underrepresented populations" is not really colorblind, it is explicitly color dependent, so to speak, as it relies directly on that color to make a judgement, it's merely that the rules (hypothetically) change based on the distribution of that color. I say that because the argument is akin to red-lining in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Teachers union agreement stipulating White teachers be laid off first criticized: 'Constitutionally suspect'

Source: The whitelash behind Minneapolis’ plan to fire white teachers, explained

While conservative media has characterized the Minneapolis teachers union’s agreement as an anti-white civil rights crisis, firing white educators is actually a step towards equity.

The conservatives at Fox News called it “discrimination.” The neo-confederates at the Heritage Foundation said it “violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and the Equal Protection Clause.” A headline in the official digital outlet of white nationalism asks: “Aren’t We Better Than Minneapolis Teachers Union’s Fire Whites First’ Policy?”

They are referring to the newest issue in the white outrage industrial complex, a contract between Minneapolis Public Schools and the Minneapolis Federation of Teachers. The conservative media has latched on to the plan as yet another example of the rising oppression of Caucasian America. According to the collectively bargained agreement’s detractors, MPS will target white teachers for layoffs to solve for “past discrimination.”

Somehow people who lack critical thinking skills and seasoning experience can be beguiled into believing a contract that was collectively bargained by a majority-white coalition is “anti-white.” Perhaps they are willing to ignore the “past discrimination” part of the story. Maybe the outraged victims of this brand new act of reverse racism don’t care that this contract is 4 months old. However, there is a bigger issue with the conservative narrative that should be included in the current conversation.

Firing white teachers is actually a great idea.

Allow me to explain.

First of all, why are teachers being laid off? Don’t we need more teachers?

Well, aside from the idea that most people believe we need more teachers, the American education system also has a longstanding policy that we should pay teachers. And, because most teachers prefer to be paid with money, a lack of school funding prevents Minneapolis Public Schools from paying all of its teachers.

Why can’t MPS afford to pay its teachers?

School funding is typically predicated on the number of students enrolled. While the average school spends $13,494 per student, Minneapolis Public Schools spends $21,656, according to the National Education for Education Statistics. But MPS has one of the highest declines in enrollment in the country. And because most unions make it very difficult to fire workers, the number of teachers stayed the same while the amount of money that paid teacher salaries decreased. The shortfall necessitated low salaries, budget cuts and school closures. It got so bad that MPS had an $86 million budget deficit and was expected to become insolvent by 2024.

The Minneapolis Federation of Teachers says that the district has more than enough money in its reserves to solve the problem. However, the district says that its rules won’t allow the district to tap into those reserves. So, in March 2022, the teachers’ union went on strike for three weeks. The district couldn’t just close schools, so they had to pay more teachers, which reportedly exacerbated the district’s dire financial situation.

When MPS received $175 million in federal COVID relief funds, the teachers union assumed the budget problem was fixed. But the district used most of the COVID funds to defray the costs incurred by the strike.

On March 25, the two sides reached a tentative agreement that included layoffs for excess teachers while providing “protections for educators of color.” In essence, teachers will be laid off in order of seniority unless they are protected by the provisions that include (among other things):

1. Educators in “racially isolated schools with the greatest concentrations of poverty.”
                              2. Members of underrepresented populations among the district’s licensed teachers.
                              3. Alumni of HBCUs, tribal colleges, or Hispanic Association of Colleges and University programs.
                              That seems like the definition of reverse racism. Why would they agree to that?

Well, first you need to know a few hard facts:
                              • According to almost every study, Black and nonwhite students have better educational, emotional and behavioral outcomes in classrooms with same-race teachers.
                              • In Minneapolis public schools, Black and Hispanic students are more likely to be disciplined and less likely to graduate. Fewer than 1-in-10 passed the state math test and only one in five can read at grade level.
                              • Minneapolis Public School students are 37 percent white, 34 percent Black and 17 percent Hispanic
                              • The staff of MPS is 66 percent white, 17.9 percent Black and 6.4 percent Hispanic.
                              • The district and the teachers union acknowledged “past discrimination by the district disproportionately impacted the hiring of underrepresented teachers in the district, as compared to the relevant labor market and the community, and resulted in a lack of diversity of teachers.”
                              As you can see, for most of its existence, the district’s hiring policy not only favored white teachers, but it did so to the detriment of its non-white students. But, for some reason, Fox News pundits and right-wing propagandists don’t seem interested in this part of the story.

OK, maybe the teachers discriminated in the past. But going forward, shouldn’t they just fire the worst teachers?

That’s a great point that most people wouldn’t argue with. Now here’s a question:

Why do you assume the white teachers aren’t the worst teachers?

Most of MPS’s students are non-white. Most of its teachers are white. According to the district’s own data, most of the non-white students are lagging behind white students. And, according to people who know things, students of color do better when they are taught by educators of color. So, I’m not assuming that the white teachers are the worst teachers; I am assuming that most of the teachers are less equipped to teach most of the students.

If you are going to fire the teachers, why not use fact-based, peer-reviewed information?

There is no segment in the entirety of the American social construct where ignoring factual information is regarded as wrong. Using racial data seems to be OK when it doesn’t affect people who like guitar solos. Black people are more likely to be arrested for illegal drugs even though white people are more likely to use and distribute them. The US Supreme Court said racial profiling is constitutional and agreed that law enforcement officers can ask Spanish speakers to show their immigration papers. But when it comes to whiteness, it must be protected.

Will this make the Minneapolis Public Schools better?

Maybe.

But what could possibly be worse than the majority of MPS students not being proficient in math and reading? What’s financially worse than total insolvency? What’s less equitable than total financial, educational and inequality? Minneapolis Public Schools are terrible schools and they don’t serve the public.

The school district is essentially Donald Trump–racist, bloated and bad at business.

But you said firing white teachers will make the schools more equitable.

Yes, it will.

According to Black teachers in the district, their concerns have largely been ignored by the teachers union and the school board until recently. Therefore, implementing a seniority-based layoff plan would result in a whiter education system because Black teachers would be the first to go.

To become more equitable for its students, the cohort of teachers must be more diverse. To become financially solvent, the district must cut staff. The only path to better schools, more educated children and a financially stable district is to fire white teachers.

It’s also important to note that Minneapolis is nearly 63 percent white. And because K-12 education is closely related to future earnings, college acceptance and crime, the city’s non-white taxpayers are essentially funding an education system for white people. They are giving their tax dollars to improve educational outcomes and increase the generational wealth of white people.

And this concept does not just apply to Minneapolis Public Schools; it’s actually how the world work. To achieve equity, someone must suffer. If a company with a fixed profit margin is underpaying its Black employees, they can’t just fix it by pulling money out of thin air and giving it to the Black workers; someone has to take a pay cut.

Anyone who advocates for economic equity must also advocate for the redistribution of resources. That’s how diversity, equity and inclusion work. Not only does it create a more stable environment for everyone, but it actually creates a more realistic world for the people who previously benefitted from the inequality the people. Who wants to live in a world filled with mediocre people who are bad at their job?

Unless, of course, you’re white in Minneapolis.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Comment