Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Salman Rushdie Attacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I've heard he might lose an eye after being stabbed over a dozen times.

They are celebrating in Tehran where an MP, Malek Shariati Niasar, has claimed that the brutal stabbing of Salman Rushdie was the "direct work" of the country in response to the U.S. killing Qasem Soleimani.

Surprising everyone who assumed that being this was New York that the D.A. would let the attacker out on a no-cash bail, Hadi Matar is actually being held without bond.
    If you lived in NY, you wouldn't be surprised that people would think the D.A. would let him out on a no-cash bail.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

This could potentially derail the US-Iran nuclear deal; rumors of which in turn were helping lower oil futures.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Another spinoff incident: JK Rowling posted a word of support for Rushdie on Twitter, and a user responded that she is "next". (This appears to have been a Muslim user, so this threat is almost certainly related to her support for Rushdie, not her well-documented criticism of transgenderism). Rowling reported the threat to Twitter, but Twitter informed her that it did not violate their ToS. (After she publicized this, Twitter eventually relented and banned the account that threatened her, and Scotland Yard is interested in the threat as well.)

https://deadline.com/2022/08/warner-...ts-1235091830/
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          Another spinoff incident: JK Rowling posted a word of support for Rushdie on Twitter, and a user responded that she is "next". (This appears to have been a Muslim user, so this threat is almost certainly related to her support for Rushdie, not her well-documented criticism of transgenderism). Rowling reported the threat to Twitter, but Twitter informed her that it did not violate their ToS. (After she publicized this, Twitter eventually relented and banned the account that threatened her, and Scotland Yard is interested in the threat as well.)

wow. twitter is such a cesspool, both from the user side and the management side. A death threat isn't against their ToS? Or only not if they are against conservatives?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Noting with interest that Rushdie gets a mention in an article about the Diary of Anne Frank getting caught up in the push to remove unsavoury books from schools in Fort Worth (along with the Bible). The article also refers to Heinrich Heine's "Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people."

Maybe a little common sense should be exercised in deciding which books should be subjected to censorship.

Actually, this post isn't in the right place. I'll put a copy elsewhere.
            Last edited by tabibito; 08-17-2022, 01:45 PM.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment