Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Who would you want? ** Not a debate thread **

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a Democrat, Gabbard. For a Republican, Pence. Supporting someone to "piss off the other side" is just part of the problem and contributes to the erosion of democratic norms. All things otherwise equal, it is better to try to calm the political climate down, not ratchet it up further.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-10-2022, 10:06 AM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      For a Democrat, Gabbard. For a Republican, Pence. Supporting someone to "piss off the other side" is just part of the problem and contributes to the erosion of democratic norms. All things otherwise equal, it is better to try to calm the political climate down, not ratchet it up further.
      It won't matter who the Republicans nominate. Look at how they treated Romney who was the very picture of gentlemanly decorum. Same with the Bushes. And in 2024 I doubt the Republicans will act much different toward whoever is selected for the Democrats.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        It won't matter who the Republicans nominate. Look at how they treated Romney who was the very picture of gentlemanly decorum. Same with the Bushes. And in 2024 I doubt the Republicans will act much different toward whoever is selected for the Democrats.
        That's really not relevant to my point. I'm thinking of behavior once one gets into office, not about the election itself (after all, a "who would you want" thread arguably assumes one's candidate gets elected). And this would be regardless of how the opposite base acts.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That's really not relevant to my point. I'm thinking of behavior once one gets into office, not about the election itself (after all, a "who would you want" thread arguably assumes one's candidate gets elected). And this would be regardless of how the opposite base acts.
          I was addressing your latter comments, but this is getting too close to debating which the OP explicitly asked not to happen.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I was addressing your latter comments, but this is getting too close to debating which the OP explicitly asked not to happen.
            I think it's reasonable to consider whether one acts in an intentionally divisive manner while in office, like the last three presidents (or DeSantis to a lesser extent). This stems back toward at least Obama running strictly toward growing his base, and finding it worked. This wouldn't be a panacea by any means, but someone like Pence who governs in a low key manner while still holding to his convictions (like he did with the controversial Indiana bill on workplace discrimination) would meet that criteria.

Admittedly, that might not be Gabbard. She does try to reach toward the center a lot, but she is a bit of a social media troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

No worries, Thirsty is well nigh indestructible. Not so good on reading, though, or he’d have known it wasn’t alcohol.
              Down with the big meanies!
              Free beer for everyone!
              Thirsty for President!

Tips are always welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty Possum View Post
                *boot to the head*

If you’re coming in like a wrecking ball, it’s time to gather up those Miley posters again.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty Possum View Post

Free beer for everyone!
                  Thirsty for President!
                  Your spelling has improved greatly Thirsty!

The last time I saw you only got three of the letters right in your attempt to spell "president" and now here you are just two years later getting all the letters -- and in their proper order!

And you got "everyone" right as well!

Comment

*boot to the head*

If you’re coming in like a wrecking ball, it’s time to gather up those Miley posters again.
                    Maybe he just wants to get a former annoying orange to autograph them.

Btw, I guess that this means he got over his Rebecca Black phase.

Comment

Maybe he just wants to get a former annoying orange to autograph them.
                      Feel free to ask him when he sobers up.

Btw, I guess that this means he got over his Rebecca Black phase.
                      All I want for Christmas!

Rebecca Black? You are way behind the times.

Comment

Feel free to ask him when he sobers up.

All I want for Christmas!

Rebecca Black? You are way behind the times.
                        Why would you think that poor ol Thirsty would ever share his hopes and dreams with someone who goes outta the way to boot his poor noggin?

Now the lovable rogue who taught him how to easily open pad locks on sheds without leaving a trace, and hotwire a motorcycle after disabling any boobytraps -- that's different.

Make it stop.

Comment

Why would you think that poor ol Thirsty would ever share his hopes and dreams with someone who goes outta the way to boot his poor noggin?
                          You say that like it’s an inconvenience to me.

Comment

I gotta respect Gabbard for her exposé on Hillary. I loved her use of the word "rot." If all I had to choose from were Democrats, Gabbard would be top of the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I gotta respect Gabbard for her exposé on Hillary. I loved her use of the word "rot." If all I had to choose from were Democrats, Gabbard would be top of the list.
                              She arguably crippled Kamala Harris's candidacy too.

Comment

What about Rep. Brian Mast?

3ec666e06f2c3483d0da2f9bffc3846c.jpg
                                He's got the equivalent of TWO peg legs!
                                Or Johnny Joey Jones.

DSC06558-1.jpg
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment