Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stasi Raid Mar-a-Lago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Regardless of what you have to sign before you get access to classified documents, in practice you don't get prison time for mishandling them, unless you do so in such a way as to make it pretty likely that some unauthorized person will gain access to them, or you lie to investigators or try to destroy evidence or something like that.
    Right. Like refusing to surrender them. Or if it's coupled with something like trying to avoid Federal Recordkeeping laws. Or if it was destroyed before being turned over. Both Trump and Hillary seem to be guilty of the last item if what has been said about the docs at Mar a Lago is true.

Moving classified data from a classified space into an unclassified space will at worst get your security clearance taken away or get you fired, and then only if you do so repeatedly.
    Right. Unless there is additional circumstances/unauthorized conduct involved.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
      Trump took classified documents. He stored those documents in a basement storage unit without a lock. When asked for the white house documents back, he provided 15 boxes, with a number of the documents damaged or ripped up/destroyed. He didn't provide all of the missing documents, leading to the national archives turning things over to law enforcement. Said investigators visited in June and witnessed the lack of a lock and expressed concern, and looked over the documents still there. And now this, in response to what they saw and witnessed. This isn't hard to grasp.

You made this claim earlier, and even claimed presidents have taken classified documents for memoirs. When I asked you to provide a source for that claim, you lamely gave a link to the Clintons taking and then giving back household goods (furniture/china), which are not covered under the Presidential Records Act (again, unless they were some significant gift from another country that has historical significance, etc.).
      Someone else noted that Obama also had issue with being told to return documents and I cited how Ken Dilanian, NBC's Justice Department correspondent, noted on the show Today:

Normally, if an ex-president has documents he shouldn’t have, the government would simply ask for them back. This move suggests something broke down in a big way between Trump and the Archives and that these documents may have contained some very sensitive information.

If they are "normally" asking ex-presidents to return "documents he shouldn't have" that is a clear indication that Trump is not the first president to have taken papers that they "shouldn't have" when they left office.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Now the FIB is claiming they had a "mole" inside Mar-A-Lago who told them that Trump was hiding documents and told agents exactly where to look. Which explains why they apparently went on a random search through the entire estate and were caught rummaging through Milania's underwear.
        A mole can tell the FBI "Trump has classified documents in room X". However, that does not preclude trump from having classified information in room Y. A search isn't going to stop at the one spot that is known to their informant if its possible the informant doesn't know the entirety of the situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Someone else noted that Obama also had issue with being told to return documents
          source? Did he have classified documents and take a year to give them back (and then gave them back damaged or destroyed)? Did he still keep documents after? If not, not comparable.

and I cited how Ken Dilanian, NBC's Justice Department correspondent, noted on the show Today:

Normally, if an ex-president has documents he shouldn’t have, the government would simply ask for them back. This move suggests something broke down in a big way between Trump and the Archives and that these documents may have contained some very sensitive information.

If they are "normally" asking ex-presidents to return "documents he shouldn't have" that is a clear indication that Trump is not the first president to have taken papers that they "shouldn't have" when they left office.
          So again, did they take a year and then only partially give back documents, including classified ones, and have those damaged or destroyed when returned?)

I note you still cannot back up your claim About presidents having taken classified documents for their memoirs

Comment

He was apparently storing the classified documents in basement storage without a lock:
            In June, Bobb said, she and Trump lawyer Evan Corcoran met with Jay Bratt, the chief of the counterintelligence and export control section at the Justice Department, along with several investigators. Trump stopped by the meeting as it began, to greet the investigators, but was not interviewed. The lawyers showed the federal officials the boxes, and Bratt and the others spent some time looking through the material.

Bobb said the Justice Department officials commented that they did not believe the storage unit was properly secured, so Trump officials added a lock to the facility. When FBI agents searched the property Monday, Bobb added, they broke through the lock that had been added to the door.

This is uber sketch. If investigators had found classified documents in Mar a Lago, why would they let them remain there with just a promise to secure them better with a lock? Classified materials have specific handling criteria, and a locked door isn't one. For the investigators to walk away and leave the documents there shows incredibly bad judgment on their part. For them to be ok with security mechanisms that do not in any way conform to proper document storage is actually criminal. This brings up the following questions:

1) Was this section of Mar a Lago allowed to act as a SCIF where classified documents could be stored?
            2) If 1 is true, was it decommissioned in writing by Biden or a designated agent?
            3) What kind of "lock" was used on the door to the storage room?
            4) Why did the investigators not immediately confiscate the classified material? It is required to be marked classified by the Marking Guide and they have the authority to reclaim it from unauthorized persons/places

NOTHING about this whole scenario makes any sense.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• This could backfire on the left:

https://www.thetrafalgargroup.org/ne...tivation-0810/

Screen-Shot-2022-08-10-at-4.51.07-PM-1024x574.png

Screen-Shot-2022-08-10-at-4.51.18-PM-1024x576.png
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

No other President in history has been hounded to death from even before he became POTUS, throughout his term, and continuing thereafter.
                He'd better not jaywalk. They'll hang him from the nearest tree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I agree with you to a point but I think you missed the bigger picture. Seer and Sparky are questioning the motivation - remember that many people suspect the FBI had tried to manipulate the Jan 6 rally into becoming a lot more violent than it did. That's not advocating that those on the right actually turn violent - it's questioning the FBI's motives.

A 'riot' might give the Dems a way to save themselves November 8. I personally don't see this one - too sloppy even for the Dems - but the out of proportion actions of the FBI (Trump is far from the first president to have issues sorting through four years of documents - Obama had similar problems) does appear politically motivated.

I suspect it's two fold: keep the base riled up and pray you come up with something that prevents Trump's 2024 re-election. Kinda stupid really because the Dems just handed him the 2024 nomination on a silver platter.
                  Yup, Just like the first time, their mocking and attacking Trump during the primaries are what convinced him to run and the more they attacked him, the more support he garnered from Republicans who already felt sidelined by the country under Obama.

This sort of continuous attack on Republicans regarding the Jan 6 event and now raiding Trump's home will just rile up his followers and solidify his base even more. If he wasn't sure about running before, I bet he is determined to run now, and the more the Dems attack him, the more his followers grow. They are guaranteeing he will be president in 2024.

Comment

Whoops, looks like the FBI and DOJ know they screwed up bigly. Latest liberal narrative is attempting to put the blame on Christopher Wray and take the pressure off of Garland. The FBI is also claiming, unconvincingly, that they waited until Trump was out of town to avoid any appearance that this was politically motivated.

...one senior DOJ official told Newsweek that the final decision to green-light the raid on Mar-a-Lago rested with FBI Director Wray.

“I know it’s hard for people to believe, but this was a matter for the U.S. Attorney and the FBI,” the source told Newsweek.

“It really is a case of the Bureau misreading the impact,” the source added.

Although the DOJ source claimed Wray gave the final go-ahead, Newsweek also reported that Attorney General Garland “was regularly briefed” on the investigation into Trump and “he knew about the grand jury and what material federal prosecutors were seeking.”

However, the source insisted “that Garland had no prior knowledge of the date and time of the specific raid, nor was he asked to approve it,” according to Newsweek.

The grand jury investigation over a potential violation of the Presidential Records Act that led to the raid on Mar-a-Lago reportedly began in April.

Another senior DOJ official told Newsweek that the Mar-a-Lago raid was a “spectacular backfire” because the FBI reportedly planned the raid while Trump was not in Florida in an effort to avoid any media circus.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...raid-disaster/
                    Let the CYA begin ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yup, Just like the first time, their mocking and attacking Trump during the primaries are what convinced him to run and the more they attacked him, the more support he garnered from Republicans who already felt sidelined by the country under Obama.

This sort of continuous attack on Republicans regarding the Jan 6 event and now raiding Trump's home will just rile up his followers and solidify his base even more. If he wasn't sure about running before, I bet he is determined to run now, and the more the Dems attack him, the more his followers grow. They are guaranteeing he will be president in 2024.
                      I think this was an ill-advised political operation. Someone somewhere thought the optics would diminish Trump's support, and that they might find something to prosecute him on and make him a felon (ineligible for POTUS). They didn't consider the possibility that the optics would fire up his support and that they might not find anything to prosecute him on. And, I might add, prosecuting him on mishandling classified documents isn't really going to fly, assuming they even have that.

The next couple of months will be interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think this was an ill-advised political operation. Someone somewhere thought the optics would diminish Trump's support, and that they might find something to prosecute him on and make him a felon (ineligible for POTUS). They didn't consider the possibility that the optics would fire up his support and that they might not find anything to prosecute him on. And, I might add, prosecuting him on mishandling classified documents isn't really going to fly, assuming they even have that.

The next couple of months will be interesting.
                        I think they are trying to push the moderates back to backing Biden over Trump in 2024.
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

source? Did he have classified documents and take a year to give them back (and then gave them back damaged or destroyed)? Did he still keep documents after? If not, not comparable.

So again, did they take a year and then only partially give back documents, including classified ones, and have those damaged or destroyed when returned?)

I note you still cannot back up your claim About presidents having taken classified documents for their memoirs
                          Ask Teallaura about Obama.

My friend you have been busy moving those goal posts so much you must be tired by now. You started by claiming that Trump was the only president who took papers that he was forced to return and now look where you are at.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• And it gets worse: the magistrate who approved this sketchy raid not only has direct ties to Epstein, but he's also an outspoken anti-Trumper, which exposes a huge conflict of interest.

Images that appear to be of Reinhart’s Facebook page seen by Breitbart News show Reinhart praising leftist Robert Reich for his criticism of Donald Trump, accusing the former President of lacking “moral stature,” and sharing a woke video about “white privilege.”

In a Facebook post dated 14 January 2017, Reinhart attacked President Trump for his comments about former congressman and woke hero John Lewis.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2022/...ump-attitudes/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Now the FIB is claiming they had a "mole" inside Mar-A-Lago who told them that Trump was hiding documents and told agents exactly where to look. Which explains why they apparently went on a random search through the entire estate and were caught rummaging through Milania's underwear.
                              Hey, you misspelled FB......

oh, I see what you did there.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                There is also the optics that in spite of what has come out about the Biden family "business dealings" and the Big Guy getting 10%, that there has been no FBI raids of Hunter or any other family members (old Joe's brother is as bad as Hunter) but rather FBI raids seeking to protect them (like when they went after the daughters "stolen" diary). Heck, they sent more FBI agents to investigate a garage pull at a NASCAR event than appear to have looked into that blatant corruption.
                                I sorry rogue I need to correct you in one statement the FBI went after project veritas to get the diary of Biden's Daughter that they should already have had since it had been handed over to the police months before FBI raid.

Comment