Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stasi Raid Mar-a-Lago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

“Just as sloppy”?

Give the guy his due.

Nobody was sloppier than Trump! He knew more about being sloppy than any slob on Earth! Some people say he was sloppier than than any slob in the history of mankind!

Make America Sloppy Again!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So, in the end, there is no record and no eye witnesses to what the FBI got up to inside Trump's private residence, and no list of items taken.

This whole thing stinks.
      I have stopped expecting any agency to play by the rules I am forced to learn and apply daily in my job. The blatant disregard for policy on everyone's part in this situation is nauseating.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Trump Pleads the Fifth During Deposition in New York Probe Into His Business Practices

Former President Donald Trump said he declined to answer questions during a deposition on Aug. 10 in the New York investigation into his business.

“I once asked, ‘If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?’ Now I know the answer to that question,” Trump said on Truth Social after meeting with New York Attorney General Letitia James.

“When your family, your company, and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded, politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors, and the Fake News Media, you have no choice,” he added.

The Fifth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution says in part that no person “shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself.”

The deposition came after months of delay following a judge’s order in February.

James, a Democrat who vowed while campaigning to take action against Trump if she won the election, began investigating the Trump Organization shortly after she entered office in 2019.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-...=BonginoReport
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• So far there seems to be a good deal of yet to be corroborated charges of misconduct from both sides being bandied about.

I think that the FBI should have known they had to dot their "i"s and cross their "t"s with every aspect of this case, and taken pains to make sure everything was by the book. That it doesn't appear at this point they did so, is naturally going to raise justified suspicions (given past behavior).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

That is not advocating for violence, it is stating a possible consequence.
            Who said anything about advocating?

Try to fail harder...
            I live for this.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              So far there seems to be a good deal of yet to be corroborated charges of misconduct from both sides being bandied about.

I think that the FBI should have known they had to dot their "i"s and cross their "t"s with every aspect of this case, and taken pains to make sure everything was by the book. That it doesn't appear at this point they did so, is naturally going to raise justified suspicions (given past behavior).
              They've gotten away with sketchy investigations for years. Why would they be concerned about propriety now?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

So far there seems to be a good deal of yet to be corroborated charges of misconduct from both sides being bandied about.

By all accounts Garland himself, a former federal judge and nominee for the Supreme Court, approved the warrant. It’s a safe bet he checked all the i’s and t’s before passing on it. All speculation aside, Trump’s got the warrant. It’s just as safe a bet that he doesn’t think making it public helps his case.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

Cite your source that Trump had to be forced to return documents everything I've seen points to him cooperating fully.
                  He took documents. The Nation Archives through over a year of arm-twisting, made him return them. Many were damaged or torn up when they got them from him. Many were classified.

His "cooperating" was his lawyers trying to respond to the arm-twisting.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

Cite your source for this
                    Various reporting that has been around since February. And using my brain, something foreign to the Trump cult.

Comment

What do you think the FBI did that was not by the book?

Comment

Trump Pleads the Fifth During Deposition in New York Probe Into His Business Practices
                        What Does It Mean to Invoke Your Fifth Amendment Rights?
                        When a person invokes their Fifth Amendment rights, it means they are refusing to answer a question, and that their silence cannot be used against them in a criminal case. If a person invokes their Fifth Amendment rights, the prosecutor cannot argue that the defendant’s silence implies that he or she was guilty. And in most cases, a prosecutor cannot call a witness to testify before a grand jury if they know the witness will invoke their Fifth Amendment rights.

However, invoking your Fifth Amendment rights can have severe consequences. For example, in a civil case, a judge or jury can infer that someone’s silence implies they were liable. Likewise, someone who invokes their Fifth Amendment rights during questioning about a corporate crime could be fired from their job.

Trump declines to answer questions in New York deposition, invoking his right against self-incrimination.
                        But there are other reasons Mr. Trump may have decided not to answer questions. While Ms. James’s inquiry is civil, and she cannot file criminal charges against the former president, the Manhattan district attorney’s office has been conducting a parallel criminal investigation into whether Mr. Trump fraudulently inflated valuations of his properties. Any misstep from the former president in his deposition could have breathed new life into that inquiry.

Mr. Trump had not been expected to invoke his constitutional right against self-incrimination. He has long considered himself his best spokesman, and those who had questioned him in the past, as well as some of his own advisers, believed he was unlikely to stay quiet.

His decision could have a significant impact on any trial if Ms. James’s investigation leads to a lawsuit. Jurors in civil matters can draw a negative inference when a defendant invokes his or her Fifth Amendment privilege, unlike in criminal cases, where exercising the right against self-incrimination cannot be held against the defendant.

Does he even have a lawyer? I mean, one he listens to. This is a civil suit. In a criminal suit, no inferences can be legally drawn, but taking the fifth in a civil suit is tantamount to a confession.

Comment

Who said anything about advocating?
                          Shuny:

I reject the advocate of violence by both sides, but your being the overwhelming hypocrite justifying violence over actions taken by the Judges and the Justice Department including Trump appointees.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Does he even have a lawyer? I mean, one he listens to. This is a civil suit. In a criminal suit, no inferences can be legally drawn, but taking the fifth in a civil suit is tantamount to a confession.
                            I don't think there is any guarantee that Trump will listen to a lawyer, but this time he probably did. Given the choice of testifying and possibly providing evidence that could be used in a criminal case, or not testifying and possibly having to cough up a lot of money in a civil case, it sounds like he chose the latter.

Comment

Shuny:
                              So neither of us, pinning the fail on you. Do you ever read posts before responding, or is it always fire, ready, aim?

Comment

Shuny:
                                Looks like he said that he rejects advocation of violence from both sides in one sentence, and then in another says that you were justifying violence. Doesn't seem to be saying you were advocating. But rather that you were justifying.

Comment