Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stasi Raid Mar-a-Lago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Yeah they are. I've stated what the facts of the matter are wrt classified document handling. I made an error in conflating the signing with the effective date though. Same basic principal though. It didn't affect Carter.
    It didn’t need to affect Carter, as he donated his own records voluntarily. And you didn’t just conflate the signing with the effective date, you cited the wrong act.

Ugh. See what I get for posting with one foot out of the door. On Nov. 5, President Jimmy Carter signed the Presidential Records Act of 1978 — though it didn’t go into effect until Jan. 20, 1981, which, as it turned out, was President Ronald Reagan’s first day on the job. So while Carter signed it earlier, it didn't affect him and took effect the day he left office.

See Presidential Records Act: Nixon’s Watergate tapes to Trump’s ‘burn bags’ - The Washington Post
    It took three years, (not four as WaPo muffed the arithmetic) for Nixon’s challenges to the original act to be rejected by the Supreme Court, and another year for the act to be extended to all future presidencies. The PRA didn’t specifically cover electronic communications until it was amended in 2014, halfway through Obama’s second term.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I was wondering if there would be an amending post explaining how a 1974 Act (when Ford was prez) got signed on Carter's last day when his first was in 1976 -- well January, 20 1977)
      It’s an arithmetic thing, only mathemagicians can uncover those mysteries.

Comment

• According to FOX, Trump's legal team had to specifically request a copy of the warrant and itemized list of what was taken. It seems the FIB agents didn't voluntarily give up those documents while ransacking Trump's home:

Fox Business also reported Wednesday afternoon that Trump’s legal team is considering legal action to force the Justice Department to “turn over a physical copy of the search warrant, the affidavit, and a complete inventory of what was taken in the Mar-a-Lago raid.” It’s unclear if Trump would publicly release those records.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/10/trump-...-raid-warrant/

Note the third item on the list: the affidavit showing probable cause for the warrant. Now let's look at what Garland has requested be made public:

In his first public statement since federal agents searched former President Donald Trump's home at Mar-a-Lago earlier this week, Attorney General Merrick Garland on Thursday said that the Justice Department had filed in court a request that the search warrant and property receipt from the search be unsealed.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/polit...ent/index.html

Notice anything missing?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Around here it's called being honest enough to admit you can be dishonest.
          Robert Heinlein, one of my favorite sci-fi writers, sometimes known as the dean of science fiction, described a dishonest politician as one who didn’t stay bought.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

To equate folks in here with someone who commits a violent political act is a smear I'd only expect from either a TDS leftist or someone who works for law enforcement.
            Interesting. Guilty conscience perhaps? I didn't equate you with anyone. I stated Trump played you guys like a master pianist, and that he had stirred you guys up enough that one went and attacked the FBI.

The double standards you guys want for trump cultists versus BLM, are absurd, yet understanding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              According to FOX, Trump's legal team had to specifically request a copy of the warrant and itemized list of what was taken. It seems the FIB agents didn't voluntarily give up those documents while ransacking Trump's home:

Fox Business also reported Wednesday afternoon that Trump’s legal team is considering legal action to force the Justice Department to “turn over a physical copy of the search warrant, the affidavit, and a complete inventory of what was taken in the Mar-a-Lago raid.” It’s unclear if Trump would publicly release those records.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/10/trump-...-raid-warrant/

Note the third item on the list: the affidavit showing probable cause for the warrant. Now let's look at what Garland has requested be made public:

In his first public statement since federal agents searched former President Donald Trump's home at Mar-a-Lago earlier this week, Attorney General Merrick Garland on Thursday said that the Justice Department had filed in court a request that the search warrant and property receipt from the search be unsealed.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/polit...ent/index.html

Notice anything missing?
              Sure I notice something missing: a source for Fox Business's person-twitter-claim. (BTW, they're not required to provide the affidavit at the time of serving the warrant, only need to provide it to the Judge).

The Trump team got a copy of the warrant and a receipt of what was taken. Your buddy at Fox Business lied to you.

And lookie here, had you scrolled down the tweet thread of the idiot with Fox Business, you'd see video of Trump's own flipping lawyer stating she has the warrant and the list, and was handed it by them when they were done.

https://twitter.com/Whey_standard/st...91281651273728
              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 08-11-2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                Interesting. Guilty conscience perhaps? I didn't equate you with anyone. I stated Trump played you guys like a master pianist, and that he had stirred you guys up enough that one went and attacked the FBI.

The double standards you guys want for trump cultists versus BLM, are absurd, yet understanding.
                "You guys" is equating us to someone who committed a violent act. I'd expect that from some leftist nut like firstfloor, but not from someone who claims to be a libertarian.

Comment

"You guys" is equating us to someone who committed a violent act. I'd expect that from some leftist nut like firstfloor, but not from someone who claims to be a libertarian.
                  Interesting - what does libertarianism have to do with anything I just stated?

And no, I did not equate you with anything. I described your loyalty to Trump and noted that he had stirred things up enough that one of your fellow cultists decided to be violent. Interesting double standard though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

It didn’t need to affect Carter, as he donated his own records voluntarily. And you didn’t just conflate the signing with the effective date, you cited the wrong act.
                    That was my point. That Carter was not included in the list of POTUS that NARA compels to turn over all Presidential records. So, Frank's sample size of those POTUS is Reagan, Bush 1 and 2, Clinton, Obama and Trump. And Biden when he finally croaks or gets voted out. If you care to, go back and read his comment that prompted my post that admittedly misses a piece of the puzzle.

It took three years, (not four as WaPo muffed the arithmetic) for Nixon’s challenges to the original act to be rejected by the Supreme Court, and another year for the act to be extended to all future presidencies. The PRA didn’t specifically cover electronic communications until it was amended in 2014, halfway through Obama’s second term.
                    I'm not too awful bent out of shape on the details. The point I was making was in response to Frank's post. Carter was not compelled to turn over his records, so if he had kept stacks of them, NARA had no authority to do what they just did to Trump.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I'm certain there's more to the story that we're not being told by both sides.
                      What about the part of the story where Eric Trump lied? Trump's attorney states, on video, that she was handed the warrant and list at the scene. Why did Eric lie?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Sure I notice something missing: a source for Fox Business's person-twitter-claim. (BTW, they're not required to provide the affidavit at the time of serving the warrant, only need to provide it to the Judge).

The Trump team got a copy of the warrant and a receipt of what was taken. Your buddy at Fox Business lied to you.

And lookie here, had you scrolled down the tweet thread of the idiot with Fox Business, you'd see video of Trump's own flipping lawyer stating she has the warrant and the list, and was handed it by them when they were done.

https://twitter.com/Whey_standard/st...91281651273728
                        They got a copy after requesting it according to FOX. Witnesses on the scene said those documents were not given to them at the time of the raid.

Comment

Gond's passions seem to shift wildly depending on the topic being discussed. It's like he's politically bipolar.

Comment

They got a copy after requesting it according to FOX. Witnesses on the scene said those documents were not given to them at the time of the raid.
                            According to his LAWYER, she was given - 'handed' - a copy of the warrant and the list, as is legal procedure, by the FBI themselves. Your boys at Fox lied, and your 'witnesses on the scene' lied. Eric Trump lied.
                            Last edited by Gondwanaland; 08-11-2022, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Gond's passions seem to shift wildly depending on the topic being discussed. It's like he's politically bipolar.
                              Wow it's almost as if I use my brain and don't just blindly gulp down the party propaganda of the moment like you.

Comment

He's probably the most disingenuous guy on here. Stoic is pretty disingenuous but at least he's consistent with his politics. One thing I can't stand is phony people.

Comment