Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

80 y.o. Woman Banned From YMCA After Objecting To Male In Women's Locker Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 y.o. Woman Banned From YMCA After Objecting To Male In Women's Locker Room

The 80 year old grandmother had left the swimming pool for a shower, and spotted the male (an employee apparently) dressed in female clothing, staring at and 'helping' young girls using the bathroom and remove their swimming suits to do so (girls there at the 'day camp' according to YMCA - I wonder how many parents knew their kids would be 'helped' by a man during day camp in the bathroom). When she called him out and told him to leave the bathroom, he told her she's not allowed to use the pool anymore and that he was calling the police. She later told she's been banned from the facility.

PORT TOWNSEND, Wash (TND) — An 80-year-old woman in Washington State has reportedly been banned from her local YMCA after she demanded that a transgender staff member, who was overseeing a group of young girls during their bathroom time, be removed from the women's locker room.

Julie Jaman, a resident of Port Townsend, Washington for over 40 years, told the Port Townsend Free Press she was concerned the transgender staff member was watching little girls as they undressed. Jaman reportedly heard a "male voice" in the locker room after one of her routine swimming exercises at the facility on July 22, and upon investigating, she found the transgender staff member.

As Jaman explains it, the locker rooms feature communal showers that feature little privacy. Each shower stall only features a light curtain that, as the Port Townsend Free Press puts it, doesn't "provide much of a shield from the eyes of others." Jaman recalls hearing a man's voice while she was showering. She turned to see four little girls and a person she believed to be a man.
    There were gaps in the curtain and there I was, naked, with soap and water on me, and this guy, right there very close to me. I asked, ‘Do you have a penis?’ He said, ‘That’s none of your business.’ That’s when I told him, ‘Get out of here, right now,'" Jaman recounts to the Port Townsend Free Press.

The YMCA’s aquatics manager then reportedly told Jaman that she was "discriminating," telling her "you can’t use the pool anymore and I’m calling the police.” Jaman recalled being stunned, not remembering if she even dried off, and says she attempted to leave. The aquatics manager was near the facility's entrance and again clashed with Jaman.

During the confrontation, another YMCA employee told Jaman she couldn't leave, according to the Free Press, adding the aquatics manager echoed the sentiment. Jaman then reportedly said to both employees she was going to contact the police, which she did, later filing a complaint.

In an obtained police report, Port Townsend Police Officer Marc Titterness said that Jaman "had an emotional response to a strange male being in the bathroom and helping a young girl take off her bathing suit." However, as the police investigated, it was revealed another person had called them about the incident, saying Jaman was refusing to leave the YMCA and also told them that "[the transgender staff member] was in the bathroom with a child in the day camp and Julie asked if she had a penis and started screaming at her to get out."

YMCA’s Marketing and Communications Manager, speaking with The Post Millennial, claims Jaman wasn't banned for this incident alone, but rather "repeatedly violating the Olympic Peninsula YMCA code of conduct, specifically, using disrespectful words or gestures towards YMCA staff or others; and abusive, harassing and/or obscene language or gestures towards YMCA staff or others."

Jaman reportedly has a list of previous offenses at that YMCA location, but this incident with the transgender staff member was "unforgivable and extremely harmful," according to the same communications manager.

Wendy Bart, the CEO of the Olympic Peninsula YMCA, shared additional details with the Free Press. Bart claims she stands behind her employees' actions in their confrontation with Jaman, and that the 80-year-old woman told the transgender staff member "you’re going to stick your f---ing penis in those little girls," a statement Jaman denies making.

"I am an 80-year-old woman and I do not talk like that." Jaman told the Substack page "The Distance."

The Free Beacon added that protestors gathered outside the YMCA after news of Jaman's ban broke. The YMCA also told the publication that many who gathered outside for the protests were in support of the ban.

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/nat...end-washington

I don't get it. She was banned from the YMCA? Why does the YMCA have a girl's locker room?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      I don't get it. She was banned from the YMCA? Why does the YMCA have a girl's locker room?
      YMCA have been co-ed family centers for at least a couple decades now (at least the 90s if not the 80s).

Comment

video of her testifying at a city hearing

https://thedistance.substack.com/p/w...ool?r=uglk&s=w

Comment

"I said, young man, get your hands off those kids...."

Comment

Not to mention that the "Y" stands for "Young".
            When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              The 80 year old grandmother had left the swimming pool for a shower, and spotted the male (an employee apparently) dressed in female clothing, staring at and 'helping' young girls using the bathroom and remove their swimming suits to do so (girls there at the 'day camp' according to YMCA - I wonder how many parents knew their kids would be 'helped' by a man during day camp in the bathroom). When she called him out and told him to leave the bathroom, he told her she's not allowed to use the pool anymore and that he was calling the police. She later told she's been banned from the facility.
              They told her that she couldn't leave the building because she complained about a biological male "helping" little girls in the locker room.

That sounds like an unlawful detention and possibly even kidnapping.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the YMCA has not been exclusively male for a very long time. As long as I can remember, it has always been a family fitness center.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the YMCA has not been exclusively male for a very long time. As long as I can remember, it has always been a family fitness center.
                  I am totally unfamiliar with YMCA. No exposure to the facilities. My only knowledge of it dates back to prehistoric times, and it did not include females at that time.

Comment

I am totally unfamiliar with YMCA. No exposure to the facilities. My only knowledge of it dates back to prehistoric times, and it did not include females at that time.
                    Ah, back in the "closeted gay hangout spot" days. Back in the 80s (maybe even 70s?) they started allowing women, and at least since the 90s have rebranded to be a family gym/swimming/day camp place for local families.

Comment

So why then is there still a YWCA? Shouldn't they have been merged?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          What I just read recently (because I was wondering the same thing) is that the YWCA has always been a completely different organization, much smaller in scope, and barely a blip today.

Perhaps what the YMCA should have done was change their acronym to something more fitting.

Comment

What I just read recently (because I was wondering the same thing) is that the YWCA has always been a completely different organization, much smaller in scope, and barely a blip today.

Perhaps what the YMCA should have done was change their acronym to something more fitting.
                            These days, they're mostly referred to as "The Y".

Comment

These days, they're mostly referred to as "The Y".
                              Back when I was a kid they were typically referred to as the Y.

Comment