Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kansas Abortion Vote

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kansas Abortion Vote

    Everyone seemed pretty shocked yesterday when a ballot measure in Kansas won by a 'landslide' to keep abortion legal (59% voted to keep it legal, 41% illegal).

    Given Kansas is often viewed as a 'red' state (Trump won in 2020 against Biden, Republicans have a supermajority in the Kansas House and Senate, though the state currently has a Democratic governor), this seems to have come as a shock to many people, even veteran political operatives.

    People are saying this may cause the Dems to run fairly hard on legal-abortion in the midterms, when previously Dem leadership has typically tried to avoid talking about the issue of abortion or saying the word.

  • #2
    Seems this vote caused turnout to go waaaay up. The Republican supermajority in the Kansas congress had sneakily put this ballot measure up for vote in the primaries rather than during the general, knowing that primary turnout was typically lower and typically skewed in favor of Republicans. But as a result of this ballot measure, turnout apparently looked more like a Presidential election.

    Seems like it's a massive winner for Dems in the midterms. They need to get ballot measures going in every state they can on this, and get all their House members campaigning on this. Current polling suggests Dems will hold the Senate and perhaps even pick up a seat (which will be good cos then Manchin/Sinema won't have veto power and they might actually be able to pass things), but until now, polling had suggested Dems would lose the House in the midterms. Hopefully on the back of campaigning on legal abortion Dems should ride to victory in the House.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Seems this vote caused turnout to go waaaay up. The Republican supermajority in the Kansas congress had sneakily put this ballot measure up for vote in the primaries rather than during the general, knowing that primary turnout was typically lower and typically skewed in favor of Republicans. But as a result of this ballot measure, turnout apparently looked more like a Presidential election.

      Seems like it's a massive winner for Dems in the midterms. They need to get ballot measures going in every state they can on this, and get all their House members campaigning on this. Current polling suggests Dems will hold the Senate and perhaps even pick up a seat (which will be good cos then Manchin/Sinema won't have veto power and they might actually be able to pass things), but until now, polling had suggested Dems would lose the House in the midterms. Hopefully on the back of campaigning on legal abortion Dems should ride to victory in the House.
      So far hasn't shifted the 538 models, dems still have only 1 in 5 chance of keeping the house.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        Everyone seemed pretty shocked yesterday when a ballot measure in Kansas won by a 'landslide' to keep abortion legal (59% voted to keep it legal, 41% illegal).

        Given Kansas is often viewed as a 'red' state (Trump won in 2020 against Biden, Republicans have a supermajority in the Kansas House and Senate, though the state currently has a Democratic governor), this seems to have come as a shock to many people, even veteran political operatives.

        People are saying this may cause the Dems to run fairly hard on legal-abortion in the midterms, when previously Dem leadership has typically tried to avoid talking about the issue of abortion or saying the word.
        I am sure that those here who dislike government interference in their private lives and who have made comments that the government should not tell them what to do will applaud the remark by one Kansas voter, quoted in The Guardian.

        We’re free!” shouted Mafutari Oneal, 56, who was working at the bar after the vote was called and a rush of drinks orders came in.

        “I don’t want no government telling me what to do. I’m so happy,” she said.

        https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-constitution

        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

        Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

          I am sure that those here who dislike government interference in their private lives and who have made comments that the government should not tell them what to do will applaud the remark by one Kansas voter, quoted in The Guardian.

          We’re free!” shouted Mafutari Oneal, 56, who was working at the bar after the vote was called and a rush of drinks orders came in.

          “I don’t want no government telling me what to do. I’m so happy,” she said.

          https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-constitution
          Probably just as much as those who touted bodily autonomy cheered for people who didn't want to be vaccinated.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

            I am sure that those here who dislike government interference in their private lives and who have made comments that the government should not tell them what to do will applaud the remark by one Kansas voter, quoted in The Guardian.

            We’re free!” shouted Mafutari Oneal, 56, who was working at the bar after the vote was called and a rush of drinks orders came in.

            “I don’t want no government telling me what to do. I’m so happy,” she said.

            https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-constitution
            Obviously, we prioritize the "bodily autonomy" of those most innocent, most defenseless, and least able to assert their own desires about their bodies -- the unborn humans.

            We don't believe da gubmint should "tell them what to do" when that includes "be murdered by some licensed butcher because your mom finds you inconvenient."
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

            Beige Federalist.

            Nationalist Christian.

            "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

            Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

            Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

            Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

            Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

            Justice for Matthew Perna!

            Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

              I am sure that those here who dislike government interference in their private lives and who have made comments that the government should not tell them what to do will applaud the remark by one Kansas voter, quoted in The Guardian.

              We’re free!” shouted Mafutari Oneal, 56, who was working at the bar after the vote was called and a rush of drinks orders came in.

              “I don’t want no government telling me what to do. I’m so happy,” she said.

              https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e-constitution
              Troll harder.

              Comment


              • #8
                From what I am reading and hearing from friends in Kansas, the college aged female turnout was extremely high.
                That's what
                - She

                Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                Stephen R. Donaldson

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  Everyone seemed pretty shocked yesterday when a ballot measure in Kansas won by a 'landslide' to keep abortion legal (59% voted to keep it legal, 41% illegal).

                  Given Kansas is often viewed as a 'red' state (Trump won in 2020 against Biden, Republicans have a supermajority in the Kansas House and Senate, though the state currently has a Democratic governor), this seems to have come as a shock to many people, even veteran political operatives.

                  People are saying this may cause the Dems to run fairly hard on legal-abortion in the midterms, when previously Dem leadership has typically tried to avoid talking about the issue of abortion or saying the word.
                  I believe there is a thread on this already.

                  The fact is that there is still a lot of support for abortion being legal during the first Trimester -- even among many pro-lifers. Further, FWIU there was no provision for an exception if the life of the mother was at risk. If so, that is a hard provision to swallow.

                  That said, that the bill went down shouldn't be a surprise. By how much is the only thing that probably wasn't anticipated.

                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

                    So far hasn't shifted the 538 models, dems still have only 1 in 5 chance of keeping the house.
                    Even though the left appears determined at present to run on abortion and gun control the fact that their pundits are finally listing inflation on their list of issues (and even on top in some cases) indicates that this is not going to save them, although I anticipate continuing hard push back on the topic that might blunt the level of a Republican victory.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                      So far hasn't shifted the 538 models, dems still have only 1 in 5 chance of keeping the house.
                      ? I'm suggesting that this vote will change the way Dems campaign from today onwards. Of course that hasn't effected polling yet because it hasn't started happening.

                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I believe there is a thread on this already.
                      Where? I couldn't find one so I started this one.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                        Probably just as much as those who touted bodily autonomy cheered for people who didn't want to be vaccinated.
                        I don't myself endorse the bodily autonomy argument with respect to abortion.

                        However I do see an obvious difference between a vaccine which is an injection that's over within a minute and then has positive health effects, as compared to a pregnancy that lasts 9 months and can be very painful and have major complications. The two seem very different levels of violation of bodily autonomy, for those who are concerned with that principle.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I believe there is a thread on this already.
                          In fairness, it's posted in the Pro-Life Advocacy section, so the OP wouldn't be able to post there.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A sad day for the unborn in Kansas.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God


                            From "Fools Gold" by Petra

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              A sad day for the unborn in Kansas.
                              Since the unborn don't have the capacity to have the emotion of sadness, it isn't a sad day for them.

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Thoughtful Monk, Yesterday, 12:39 PM
                              10 responses
                              72 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Starlight, 08-11-2022, 01:26 AM
                              95 responses
                              525 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by Bill the Cat, 08-09-2022, 12:30 PM
                              52 responses
                              331 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post tabibito  
                              Started by Sparko, 08-09-2022, 10:43 AM
                              22 responses
                              155 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by firstfloor, 08-09-2022, 03:17 AM
                              56 responses
                              339 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post Starlight  
                              Working...
                              X