Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's Predictions On German Energy Dependence On Russia Turn Out Correct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's Predictions On German Energy Dependence On Russia Turn Out Correct

Shot and chaser:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...-just-smirked/

Trump accused Germany of becoming ‘totally dependent’ on Russian energy at the U.N. The Germans just smirked.

Out of President Trump’s speech at the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday, it probably won’t be the script that will be remembered by diplomats but, rather, world leaders' laughter, caught on camera and shared in viral videos.

One of them captured the amused reactions of the German delegation as Trump said: “Germany will become totally dependent on Russian energy if it does not immediately change course. Here in the Western Hemisphere, we are committed to maintaining our independence from the encroachment of expansionist foreign powers.

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas could be seen smirking alongside his colleagues.

It wasn’t the first time Trump had lashed out at Germany over its gas imports from Russia.

During a NATO summit in July, he took aim at the Germans for the same reason, specifically singling out a planned 800-mile pipeline beneath the Baltic Sea called Nord Stream 2. “Germany, as far as I’m concerned, is captive to Russia because it’s getting so much of its energy from Russia,” Trump told NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, also speaking on camera at the time. “We have to talk about the billions and billions of dollars that’s being paid to the country we’re supposed to be protecting you against.”

Germany is indeed Russia’s biggest export market in Europe for gas, with a dependency that may grow further once Nord Stream 2 is finished. The pipeline would roughly double Russia’s export volume via the Baltic Sea route.

Consecutive German governments have defended the plans, saying the offshore pipeline between Russia and Germany would cut energy costs and establish a reliable supply route.

But nations such as Poland and Ukraine fear that Russia may be diversifying its gas routes into Europe to exploit its grid for political reasons. In June 2014, amid the fallout over the Russian annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula months earlier, Russia cut off Ukraine’s gas supplies for weeks in what Kiev called a blackmail attempt.

Poland, Ukraine and other nations east of Germany hope that Trump’s criticisms will help them make their case.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel acknowledged for the first time in April that Nord Stream 2 was not driven by business interests alone but also by political motivations. While she has appeared to be opening up to criticism from Central and Eastern Europe in recent months, Merkel has not attempted to stop the plans.

Even if she changed course, it would be far from certain that the Social Democrats — her key coalition partners, who have a long record of favoring stronger ties to Russia — would agree.

The Social Democrats and other Merkel allies have publicly speculated about another possible reason for Trump’s unexpected interjection: the United States' own business interests. U.S. gas producers have long been seeking new export markets for liquefied natural gas but have found it difficult to enter the European market, where cheaper Russian gas has been easily available.

Trump’s attacks haven’t changed that calculus. After his July remarks, Merkel responded that she may be in a better position to judge her country’s dependence than the current U.S. president.

“I’ve experienced myself a part of Germany controlled by the Soviet Union, and I’m very happy today that we are united in freedom,” she said at the time.

On Tuesday, after yet another Trump warning, her top diplomats had only a smirk to offer.

aM40Bz6_700bwp.png
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ian-gas-crisis

German cities impose cold showers and turn off lights amid Russian gas crisis

Cities in Germany are switching off spotlights on public monuments, turning off fountains, and imposing cold showers on municipal swimming pools and sports halls, as the country races to reduce its energy consumption in the face of a looming Russian gas crisis.

Hanover in north-west Germany on Wednesday became the first large city to announce energy-saving measures, including turning off hot water in the showers and bathrooms of city-run buildings and leisure centres.

Municipal buildings in the Lower Saxony state capital will only be heated from 1 October to 31 March, at no more than 20C (68F) room temperature, and ban the use of mobile air conditioning units and fan heaters. Nurseries, schools, care homes and hospitals are to be exempt from the saving measures.

“The situation is unpredictable,” said the city’s mayaor, Belit Onay, of the Green party. “Every kilowatt hour counts, and protecting critical infrastructure has to be a priority.”

Hanover’s 15% savings target is in line with the reductions the European Commission this week urged member states to make to ensure they can cope in the event of a total gas cutoff from Russia. Germany, which is more reliant on Russian gas imports than other European countries, is under pressure to lead the way.

In Berlin, the German capital, about 200 historic monuments and municipal buildings were shrouded in darkness on Wednesday night as the city switched off spotlights to save electricity. Monuments previously lit up at night include the Victory Column in Tiergarten park, the Memorial Church on Breitscheidplatz and the Jewish Museum.

“In the face of the war against Ukraine and Russia’s energy threats it is vital that we handle our energy as carefully as possible,” said Berlin’s senator for the environment, Bettina Jarasch.

Germany uses most of its gas imports to heat homes and power its large industry. But while an energy emergency plan initiated in June enables utility firms to pass on high gas prices to customers, most private households in Germany pay their gas bills in set advance payments and have yet to directly experience the kind of dramatic increases that would change consumer behaviour.

On Thursday, Germany’s government confirmed that a planned gas surcharge on customers could be much higher than previously expected, to save energy companies from going bankrupt in the coming months.

“We can’t say yet how much gas will cost in November, but the bitter news is it’s definitely a few hundred euros per household,” said the economy minister, Robert Habeck.

Germany also uses gas to generate about 15% of its electricity needs, which is where municipal authorities have decided to make relatively painless savings.

The city of Munich, in Germany’s south, this week announced it would switch off spotlights on its town hall on Marienplatz square, which is usually lit up until 11pm, and have only cold water at municipal offices. Fountains would also be turned off at night.

Nuremberg is closing three of its four city-run indoor swimming pools and will keep its outdoor lidos open until 25 September.

In April, Berlin had announced measures to keep its outdoor swimming pools at two degrees below the weather-dependent standard temperature throughout the summer season.

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    German cities impose cold showers and turn off lights amid Russian gas crisis
    They deserve it!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The problem is the braindead zombies that get their news from the legacy media will hear differently. They are spoonfed "Russia, Russia, Russia, Trump colluded with Russia ..." over and over again and are incapable of independent thought.

tv.jpg

Comment

I'm pretty sure even many of those over here who sneered at Trump over this are not really surprised by the headlines.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump tried to warn them, but Merkel wouldn't listen.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Trump tried to warn them, but Merkel wouldn't listen.
            Merkel also halted Germany's nuclear energy program, which made them even more reliant on Russia's energy. It really makes you wonder, was Merkel (who is another one of those WEF minions) just a Putin puppet, or did she have another agenda in mind? In fact, it makes you wonder why the left environmentalists, who hate fossil fuel and fearmonger all day about climate change, are so adamantly against nuclear energy.

Comment

So I guess when Trump said, "Germany will become totally dependent on Russian energy if it does not immediately change course.", what he really meant was, "Germany will be really inconvenienced if Russia shuts off the gas."

I have to admit, given Trump's tendency towards hyperbole, that is plausible.

But I suspect that if he had said the latter, he wouldn't have been laughed at.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                So I guess when Trump said, "Germany will become totally dependent on Russian energy if it does not immediately change course.", what he really meant was, "Germany will be really inconvenienced if Russia shuts off the gas."

It looks like Germany is changing course.

Right back to coal.

They're reactivating mothballed coal-fired power plants to help pick up the slack.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As long as they can still brew beer they will be OK.

Comment

There's that even application of charity...

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

There's that even application of charity...
                      I'm open to suggestions for a more charitable interpretation of his statement.

Comment

I'm open to suggestions for a more charitable interpretation of his statement.
                        Oh...I don't know, recognizing that this energy drought they have is currently short term, and by downplaying it to "inconvenience" is akin to laughing at California's water saving initiatives as merely inconvenience as opposed to them being dependent on rainfall in the mountains and the Colorado river...

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Oh...I don't know, recognizing that this energy drought they have is currently short term, and by downplaying it to "inconvenience" is akin to laughing at California's water saving initiatives as merely inconvenience as opposed to them being dependent on rainfall in the mountains and the Colorado river...
                          If California didn't have access to water from the mountains or the Colorado river, it would be a lot more than an inconvenience. There is no viable alternative.

I think taking Trump literally would be a lot less charitable than assuming he was being hyperbolic. The Germans are obviously not "totally dependent" on Russian gas. It won't be long before they are getting their energy needs taken care of from other sources.

Comment

If California didn't have access to water from the mountains or the Colorado river, it would be a lot more than an inconvenience. There is no viable alternative.

I think taking Trump literally would be a lot less charitable than assuming he was being hyperbolic. The Germans are obviously not "totally dependent" on Russian gas. It won't be long before they are getting their energy needs taken care of from other sources.
                            Well they could rely on the US if Biden hadn't hamstringed our energy production.

Comment