Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A little light reading!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    No historian has contradicted what I have written. A poseur with delusions is another matter.
    [*cough* Florius *cough*]

But it is okay, there isn't anyone who believes that you are, as you've claimed, an actual historian (although you abandoned that fantasy for a month fairly recently when you were a pretend anthropologist). Particularly after that ignorant accusation on your part that I had made up the divisions used by historians when discussing the Roman Republic. That's not the sort of faux pas one can simply brush off particularly since you claim that the Classical Period is your specialty.

And then there were the things you had occurring at the same time while they actually were decades apart.

And that is just in one thread. smiley snicker.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

What do you have to say about the book? I doubt anyone here is interested in your usual argument via hiding behind proxy link.
      And the countdown for the distancing herself from the OP begins.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

What do you have to say about the book? I doubt anyone here is interested in your usual argument via hiding behind proxy link.
        As I wrote in the OP I have not [as yet] read the entire book - it was only published three days ago and I am awaiting my copy. Not, I should add, from Amazon.

However, from what I have read [courtesy of Amazon] he is looking at three main areas. Firstly, putting the human impact into context within the earth's 4.6 billion year history. Secondly to home ["zero"] in on the current global heating of:

drought, mass migration, water wars and health issues, along with hard to predict 'stings-in-the tail' such as Gulf Stream collapse and methane "bombs"

His concluding section examines:

what we need to do now to minimise the impact of dangerous climate breakdown, and considers whether technology can save us. It also rams home the message that - even at this late stage - it remains vital that we cut emissions to the bone as soon as we possibly can.

He also notes that the global political will to do that appears unlikely

However, while he holds that we should attempt to implement that last option he also maintains that severe climate change is now inevitable and irreversible. In this he goes further than many of his colleagues who feel that a reduction in emissions could lower the more extreme impacts.

He also comments upon consensus among climatologists [as I quoted to @Machinist]:

It is also the case, research has revealed, that climate scientists - as a tribe - tend to gravitate towards a consensus viewpoint, rather than go out on a limb, and they are inclined to make forecasts that underplay the reality

A comment from a former BBC Environment Analyst at the front of the Kindle version, would appear to support that observation:

But the public does not like pessimism, so we environment journalists hint at future optimism.

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          [*cough* Florius *cough]
          Florus never uses the word Romanus, despite your delusional flights of fancy.

And then there were the things you had occurring at the same time while they actually were decades apart.
          As for your contention about "things" being "decades apart" the period in question is twelve years. The Third Servile War ends in 71 BCE and Caesar is in Gaul in 59 BCE [having spent 61-60 BCE in Spain].

However, you are free to continue with this topic on the other thread.

ETA

But it is okay, there isn't anyone who believes that you are, as you've claimed, an actual historian (although you abandoned that fantasy for a month fairly recently when you were a pretend anthropologist). Particularly after that ignorant accusation on your part that I had made up the divisions used by historians when discussing the Roman Republic. That's not the sort of faux pas one can simply brush off particularly since you claim that the Classical Period is your specialty.
          You are also free to cite any historian who contradicts what I have written on the specific topic of your contention that Spartacus was a Roman citizen.

Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 07-31-2022, 09:11 AM.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It may not be a problem at all. I only have a knee jerk reaction to it all, and i'm relatively new to even thinking about, or paying any attention to this issue.

My papa smoked a pack of Marlboro every day and lived into his late seventies. I think he actually began smoking in his teens. If he hadn't smoked at all, he may or may not have lived another ten or twenty. Who knows? The same with the Earth. I see all the images and read all the propaganda of plastics in the oceans and rainforests being cut down, etc, and i'm thinking, surely this is not a good thing. Then again, I really don't know the impact on the planet. I do think that it will have more of an impact on humans, and reproductive fitness, than it will on biological ecosystems. I'm just thinking of the impact that plastics have on hormone function in humans. Humans may be more susceptible to this negative effect than are other animals are.

Comment

He also comments upon consensus among climatologists [as I quoted to @Machinist]:

It is also the case, research has revealed, that climate scientists - as a tribe - tend to gravitate towards a consensus viewpoint, rather than go out on a limb, and they are inclined to make forecasts that underplay the reality

So, He thinks there's a conspiracy to underplay the severity of global warming?

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                It may not be a problem at all. I only have a knee jerk reaction to it all, and i'm relatively new to even thinking about, or paying any attention to this issue.

My papa smoked a pack of Marlboro every day and lived into his late seventies. I think he actually began smoking in his teens. If he hadn't smoked at all, he may or may not have lived another ten or twenty. Who knows? The same with the Earth. I see all the images and read all the propaganda of plastics in the oceans and rainforests being cut down, etc, and i'm thinking, surely this is not a good thing. Then again, I really don't know the impact on the planet. I do think that it will have more of an impact on humans, and reproductive fitness, than it will on biological ecosystems. I'm just thinking of the impact that plastics have on hormone function in humans. Humans may be more susceptible to this negative effect than are other animals are.
                The earth is the issue here. At least five mass extinctions have occurred in the earth's history.

The issue is about human civilisation and human life. No doubt humans will carry on surviving, the question is what quality of life will they have and what sort of planet will they inhabit?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The earth is the issue here. At least five mass extinctions have occurred in the earth's history.

The issue is about human civilisation and human life. No doubt humans will carry on surviving, the question is what quality of life will they have and what sort of planet will they inhabit?
                  At the same time, there is a lot of headway being made in the science of bacteria and enzymes that break these plastics down.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                    So, He thinks there's a conspiracy to underplay the severity of global warming?
                    Not a conspiracy.

As he noted

It is also the case, research has revealed, that climate scientists - as a tribe - tend to gravitate towards a consensus viewpoint, rather than go out on a limb, and they are inclined to make forecasts that underplay the reality.

However, when we have situations like that twelve years ago where US climatologists received hate mail in the wake of the leaked emails from University of East Anglia and when in the last few days it has been reported that UK weather forecasters, the BBC, and the Met Office received abusive tweets [https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62323048] following the recent exceptionally hot weather, a degree of caution might be understandable. There is also the risk of public panics.

We all saw the impact of Covid-19 on the behaviour of many across the world.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And liberals are doing their part to ensure that we are all as miserable as possible. But only the little people, of course. The "elites" will continue to live in luxury, jetting around the world in their private planes to attend swanky conferences where they discuss what the rest of us should be expected to sacrifice for the good of the Earth.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And liberals are doing their part to ensure that we are all as miserable as possible. But only the little people, of course. The "elites" will continue to live in luxury, jetting around the world in their private planes to attend swanky conferences where they discuss what the rest of us should be expected to sacrifice for the good of the Earth.
                        Those in Kentucky were certainly not the "elite". From my reading of that latest disaster that region is comparatively poor. However, think of all those wealthy individuals who have residences on the coastal regions of the US Eastern seaboard!
                        And what about the Hamptons or Manhattan? They are only islands!
                        Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 07-31-2022, 10:03 AM.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

At the same time, there is a lot of headway being made in the science of bacteria and enzymes that break these plastics down.
                          Plastics in the oceans [albeit an important issue] is not the only issue. Climate change is something far greater.

My apologies. My reply to you should have read:

The earth is not the issue here.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Plastics in the oceans [albeit an important issue] is not the only issue. Climate change is something far greater.

My apologies. My reply to you should have read:

The earth is not the issue here.
                            If climate change is happening, that is, if the planet is heating up due to carbon emissions, it would seem that by now the momentum would be unstoppable.

Comment

Florus never uses the word Romanus, despite your delusional flights of fancy.
                              He doesn't need to just like none of the NT authors ever call Pilate a Roman governor.

As for your contention about "things" being "decades apart" the period in question is twelve years. The Third Servile War ends in 71 BCE and Caesar is in Gaul in 59 BCE [having spent 61-60 BCE in Spain].
                              Last I checked the first is in the 70s and the latter in the 50s with the decade of the 60s between them.

In any case, they were not contemporaneous as you claimed.

However, you are free to continue with this topic on the other thread.
                              Indeed. Perhaps you should keep it in mind before bringing it up next time.

Comment

If climate change is happening, that is, if the planet is heating up due to carbon emissions, it would seem that by now the momentum would be unstoppable.
                                Climatologists do not consider there is any "if" about it.

McGuire is of the opinion that climate change is inevitable and irreversible. However, he also writes:

that - even at this late stage - it remains vital that we cut emissions to the bone as soon as we possibly can.

In other words we cannot stop the damage that has been done and the irreversible impact of that, but we should attempt to reduce any further impact. However, he remains pessimistic concerning the global political will to bring about the latter.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment