Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

She's got legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's got legs

Who Wears Short Shorts (and skirts).

A veteran Alabama news reporter was nearly barred from witnessing an execution Thursday because her skirt was too short and her heels were inappropriate, but was allowed to do her job after donning a pair of fisherman’s waders.

“I have worn this skirt to prior executions without incident, to work, professional events and more and I believe it is more than appropriate,” Hrynkiw said later on Twitter. At 5′10″ with my heels on, I am a tall and long-legged person.”

As written, the dress code is discriminatory.

Betts provided an online link to a prison visitation dress code, which states that “all dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only). Splits/Slits must be knee length or lower (females only).”

Hrynkiw should have said, "I'm identifying as a cross-dressing man today." In that case, she would have been in compliance with the letter of the dress code.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

A veteran Alabama news reporter was nearly barred from witnessing an execution Thursday because her skirt was too short and her heels were inappropriate, but was allowed to do her job after donning a pair of fisherman’s waders.

“I have worn this skirt to prior executions without incident, to work, professional events and more and I believe it is more than appropriate,” Hrynkiw said later on Twitter. At 5′10″ with my heels on, I am a tall and long-legged person.”

Betts provided an online link to a prison visitation dress code, which states that “all dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only). Splits/Slits must be knee length or lower (females only).”

Hrynkiw should have said, "I'm identifying as a cross-dressing man today." In that case, she would have been in compliance with the letter of the dress code.
    Actually, I think that the dress code provides options for wimmenfolk that us men don't get.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Yeah that dress code is indeed discriminatory and a bit disturbing. I could go in with a kilt shorter than what she wore according to that.

(Though the more disturbing part is the viewing of the government executing someone - end the death penalty)
      Last edited by Gondwanaland; 07-30-2022, 08:15 AM.

Comment

This thread needs pictures.

NINTCHDBPICT000750430842.jpg?w=1340.jpg
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          This thread needs pictures.

NINTCHDBPICT000750430842.jpg?w=1340.jpg
          The code is clearly discriminatory. The outfit doesn't look inappropriate.

But is no one else disturbed about people getting dolled up to watch the government abuse its power in order to murder someone?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yeah that dress code is indeed discriminatory and a bit disturbing. I could go in with a kilt shorter than what she wore according to that.
            Found the dress code. There appears to be two sections describing appropriate dress.

The first is for "visitors and inmates" The second is for "Legal visits." They are largely the same, except that the legal one requires "business casual" (which obviously a kilt would not fit)

I'm not positive which one a reporter witnessing an execution would fall under. Obviously, not a lawyer, but a professional witnessing an execution doesn't really fall under the second either.

Source: http://www.doc.state.al.us/docs/AdminRegs/AR303.pdf

ORIENTATION GUIDELINES
            FOR VISITORS AND INMATES
            A. General Rules for Visitation:
            1. Adult visitor must have valid photo identification and be listed on the approved inmates visitation list or have a
            special visit approved by the Warden.
            2. Visitor(s) and all item(s) will be searched.
            3. Visitor(s) are required to return all unapproved item(s) to their vehicles. Staff shall not be responsible for any
            unapproved items.
            4. Visitor(s) providing false name(s) or introducing or attempting to introduce contraband may be committing a
            criminal offense and face possible felony prosecution.
            5. Visiting schedule is subject to change without prior notice due to security reasons.
            6. If visitor(s) or inmate(s) fail to abide by the established visitation rules their visit will be terminated.
            7. Each adult visitor may enter the visitation check-in area with no more than $20.00, identification card and car keys
            in a clear plastic bag. Visitors may also have the option of purchasing a $20.00 debit card.
            8. An inmate’s adult children and/or grandchildren will be allowed to visit with a birth certificate establishing an
            inmate’s paternity or maternity. Minor children must also have a completed ADOC Form 303-B, Request for Minor
            Children to Visit.
            9. Visitor(s) must wear a complete set of undergarments.
            10. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) with babies will be allowed no more that four (4) disposable diapers and one (1) will be
            changed during searches. One (1) small baby blanket and two (2) plastic baby bottles will be allowed on the visiting
            area.
            11. All dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only). Splits/Slits must be knee length or lower
            (females only).
            12. All blouses and shirts must be long enough to cover the waist and chest area.

13. Sitting in laps or other type of behavior which is deemed offensive or considered inappropriate or illicit is
            prohibited.
            14. A brief hug and kiss between an inmate and his or her visitor at the time of entry and at the time of departure will be
            permitted.
            15. Visitor(s) shall not be allowed to leave any item(s) for an inmate.
            16. Visitor(s) are permitted to wear religious headwear into the visiting area with advanced written approval from the
            Warden. This headwear is subject to search. It may be necessary for ADOC staff to search this item at any time
            during the visiting process.

B. Prohibited Items:

1. Sunglasses, except prescribed by a doctor.
            2. Electronic equipment to include, but not be limited to, cell phones, video games, radios, MP3 players, laptops, etc.
            3. Jewelry, except wedding set/band.
            4. Medication, except prescribed by a doctor and with prior approval of the Warden.
            5. Tobacco products, matches, or lighters.
            6. Firearms/Weapons.
            7. Purses, briefcases, or duffel bags.
            8. Hats, caps, scarves, or headbands.
            9. White or any light colored clothing that appears white.
            10 Wigs, except prescribed by a doctor and with prior approval of the Warden.
            11. Scrub type garments.
            12. Sundresses or sleeveless shirts.
            13 Shorts, stretch pants, or tight fitting trousers with elastic type fabrics. All trousers must be at least ankle-length.
            14. Slippers, shower shoes, and beach shoes.
            15. Tight fitting, sheer, and see-through clothes.

ATTORNEY/LEGAL VISIT ORIENTATION FORM

1. Visitor(s) must have a photo identification card.
            3. Visitor(s) are required to return all unapproved personal item(s) to their vehicle. Staff will not be responsible for any personal item(s).
            4. Visitor(s) providing false name(s) or introducing or attempting to introduce contraband may be committing a criminal offense and
            face possible felony prosecution.
            5. Visiting schedule is subject to change without prior notice due to security reasons.
            6. Visitor(s) may be asked to leave the institution if they, or an inmate they are visiting, fail to abide by the established visitation rules.
            7. Visitor(s) shall be dressed in business or business casual attire.
            8. All dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only).
            9. All blouses and shirts must be long enough to cover the waist and chest area.

10. Visitor(s) must wear a complete set of undergarments.
            Visitor(s) are permitted to bring in a no more than $5.00 in coins for soft drinks, coffee, and or snacks.
            11. Prior to the visit, the attorney may request, with approval of the Warden, to leave legal documents with an inmate.
            12. An inmate may refuse to meet with the attorney or legal assistant; an inmate can not be forced to meet with an attorney or legal
            assistant.
            13. Visitor(s) may bring two (2) writing instruments and current legal documents to the visit.

B. Prohibited Items:

1. Sunglasses, except prescribed by a doctor. (Identify in Section C. Comments/Requests.)
            2. Electronic equipment to include, but not be limited to, cell phones, video games, radios, MP3 players, laptops, etc. unless prior
            approval of the Warden and ADOC General Counsel.
            4. Medication, except prescribed by a doctor and unless prior approval of the Warden. (Identify in Section C. Comments/Requests.)
            5. Tobacco products, matches or lighters.
            6. Firearms/Weapons.
            10. Wigs, except prescribed by a doctor and with the prior approval of the Warden.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

But is no one else disturbed about people getting dolled up to watch the government abuse its power in order to murder someone?
              Shades of everyone putting on their Sunday best to go into town to watch a hanging while having a picnic with the family.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                Found the dress code. There appears to be two sections describing appropriate dress.

The first is for "visitors and inmates" The second is for "Legal visits." They are largely the same, except that the legal one requires "business casual" (which obviously a kilt would not fit)

T'would in Scotland, and some of them are formal attire.

And I didn't see anything about explosives or swords.

Comment

I don't know if that's what she wore on the day in question since she appears to be wearing shorts in the picture and not a skirt. That just seems to be the most popular image associated with this particular story.

But we can be pretty certain that the only reason it was ever an issue is because she's tall, slim, and attractive. Now if the woman was short, fat, and unattractive, I bet no one would have dared to challenge her attire.
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-30-2022, 08:28 AM.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    T'would in Scotland, and some of them are formal attire.
                    Yes...but unless I'm not mistaken...Alabama isn't part of Scotland.

Comment

I'm not positive which one a reporter witnessing an execution would fall under. Obviously, not a lawyer, but a professional witnessing an execution doesn't really fall under the second either.

Source: http://www.doc.state.al.us/docs/AdminRegs/AR303.pdf

ORIENTATION GUIDELINES
                      FOR VISITORS AND INMATES
                      1. Adult visitor must have valid photo identification and be listed on the approved inmates visitation list or have a
                      special visit approved by the Warden.
                      3. Visitor(s) are required to return all unapproved item(s) to their vehicles. Staff shall not be responsible for any
                      unapproved items.
                      4. Visitor(s) providing false name(s) or introducing or attempting to introduce contraband may be committing a
                      criminal offense and face possible felony prosecution.
                      6. If visitor(s) or inmate(s) fail to abide by the established visitation rules their visit will be terminated.
                      7. Each adult visitor may enter the visitation check-in area with no more than $20.00, identification card and car keys
                      in a clear plastic bag. Visitors may also have the option of purchasing a $20.00 debit card.
                      8. An inmate’s adult children and/or grandchildren will be allowed to visit with a birth certificate establishing an
                      inmate’s paternity or maternity. Minor children must also have a completed ADOC Form 303-B, Request for Minor
                      Children to Visit.
                      9. Visitor(s) must wear a complete set of undergarments.
                      10. Parent(s)/legal guardian(s) with babies will be allowed no more that four (4) disposable diapers and one (1) will be
                      changed during searches. One (1) small baby blanket and two (2) plastic baby bottles will be allowed on the visiting
                      area.
                      11. All dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only). Splits/Slits must be knee length or lower
                      (females only).
                      12. All blouses and shirts must be long enough to cover the waist and chest area.

13. Sitting in laps or other type of behavior which is deemed offensive or considered inappropriate or illicit is
                      prohibited.
                      14. A brief hug and kiss between an inmate and his or her visitor at the time of entry and at the time of departure will be
                      permitted.
                      15. Visitor(s) shall not be allowed to leave any item(s) for an inmate.
                      16. Visitor(s) are permitted to wear religious headwear into the visiting area with advanced written approval from the
                      Warden. This headwear is subject to search. It may be necessary for ADOC staff to search this item at any time
                      during the visiting process.

B. Prohibited Items:

1. Sunglasses, except prescribed by a doctor.
                      2. Electronic equipment to include, but not be limited to, cell phones, video games, radios, MP3 players, laptops, etc.
                      4. Medication, except prescribed by a doctor and with prior approval of the Warden.
                      5. Tobacco products, matches, or lighters.
                      6. Firearms/Weapons.
                      10 Wigs, except prescribed by a doctor and with prior approval of the Warden.
                      11. Scrub type garments.
                      12. Sundresses or sleeveless shirts.
                      13 Shorts, stretch pants, or tight fitting trousers with elastic type fabrics. All trousers must be at least ankle-length.
                      14. Slippers, shower shoes, and beach shoes.
                      15. Tight fitting, sheer, and see-through clothes.

ATTORNEY/LEGAL VISIT ORIENTATION FORM

1. Visitor(s) must have a photo identification card.
                      3. Visitor(s) are required to return all unapproved personal item(s) to their vehicle. Staff will not be responsible for any personal item(s).
                      4. Visitor(s) providing false name(s) or introducing or attempting to introduce contraband may be committing a criminal offense and
                      face possible felony prosecution.
                      6. Visitor(s) may be asked to leave the institution if they, or an inmate they are visiting, fail to abide by the established visitation rules.
                      7. Visitor(s) shall be dressed in business or business casual attire.
                      8. All dresses, skirts, and pants shall extend below the knee (females only).
                      9. All blouses and shirts must be long enough to cover the waist and chest area.

10. Visitor(s) must wear a complete set of undergarments.
                      Visitor(s) are permitted to bring in a no more than $5.00 in coins for soft drinks, coffee, and or snacks.
                      11. Prior to the visit, the attorney may request, with approval of the Warden, to leave legal documents with an inmate.
                      12. An inmate may refuse to meet with the attorney or legal assistant; an inmate can not be forced to meet with an attorney or legal
                      assistant.
                      13. Visitor(s) may bring two (2) writing instruments and current legal documents to the visit.

B. Prohibited Items:

1. Sunglasses, except prescribed by a doctor. (Identify in Section C. Comments/Requests.)
                      2. Electronic equipment to include, but not be limited to, cell phones, video games, radios, MP3 players, laptops, etc. unless prior
                      approval of the Warden and ADOC General Counsel.
                      4. Medication, except prescribed by a doctor and unless prior approval of the Warden. (Identify in Section C. Comments/Requests.)
                      5. Tobacco products, matches or lighters.
                      6. Firearms/Weapons.
                      10. Wigs, except prescribed by a doctor and with the prior approval of the Warden.

© Copyright Original Source

You could as a man technically take dress pants, cut them into the shortest short-shorts you could imagine, and be okay under that code technically

Comment

Yes...but unless I'm not mistaken...Alabama isn't part of Scotland.
                        Nobody in their right mind would claim Alabamastan.

The only thing good about it is that it keeps Mississippi away from our border.

That said, as noted a kilt can be part of dress formal wear.

Comment

I still think y'all are reading it wrong. Men aren't allowed to wear skirts or shorts but women can if they meet their criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I still think y'all are reading it wrong. Men aren't allowed to wear skirts or shorts but women can if they meet their criteria.
                            Doesn't read that way to me. Other than business/business casual there's no limitation on a man's attire or the length of that attire in the code.

Comment

Doesn't read that way to me. Other than business/business casual there's no limitation on a man's attire or the length of that attire in the code.
                              I know things are rapidly changing, but is there anywhere in the western world where "business/business casual" for a man includes wearing a skirt?

Comment