Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Now They Are Coming After Our Food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Which part of "ANYTHING" are you having trouble deciphering?
      I guess only some of us are able to understand the concept of context.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I guess only some of us are able to understand the concept of context.
        There's no context here that changes the meaning of the word in question

Comment

There's no context here that changes the meaning of the word in question
          That you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Comment

That you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.
            I see, and hear the context. It does not change the meaning of the term in question.

Comment

I see, and hear the context. It does not change the meaning of the term in question.
              Stoic operates from a somewhat misplaced sense of charitable interpretation. In other words, if there's any way possible to interpret someone's statement in the best possible light, no matter how much he is forced to stretch or ignore what was actually said, then that's how he will interpret their statements. For example, when Bill Gates expressed his frustration that the China flu itself did a better job of conferring immunity than the vaccines, Stoic interpreted this to mean that Gates was frustrated that so many people had gotten sick even though that's not what Gates actually said.**

Of course, Stoic's rule of charitable interpretations go out the window when it's someone he disagrees with.

** Direct quote from Bill Gates: "Sadly, the virus itself, particularly, the variant called omicron, is a type of vaccine, that is, it creates both B-cell and T-cell immunity, and it’s done a better job getting out to the world population than we have with vaccines. That means the chance of severe disease, which is mainly associated with being elderly and having obesity or diabetes, those risks are now dramatically reduced because of that infection, exposure."

Seems like "fortunately" would have been a better choice of word than "sadly".

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...id-19-vaccines
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Stoic operates from a somewhat misplaced sense of charitable interpretation.
                There is a tiny grain of truth in what you say, in that I do think very highly of the principle of charity.

In philosophy and rhetoric, the principle of charity or charitable interpretation requires interpreting a speaker's statements in the most rational way possible and, in the case of any argument, considering its best, strongest possible interpretation. In its narrowest sense, the goal of this methodological principle is to avoid attributing irrationality, logical fallacies, or falsehoods to the others' statements, when a coherent, rational interpretation of the statements is available. According to Simon Blackburn, "it constrains the interpreter to maximize the truth or rationality in the subject's sayings."

Most of the conservatives here seem to have never heard of it.

Comment

You mean like leftists calling Trump supporters Nazis...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    Please add a descriptor of what this is

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There is a tiny grain of truth in what you say, in that I do think very highly of the principle of charity.

In philosophy and rhetoric, the principle of charity or charitable interpretation requires interpreting a speaker's statements in the most rational way possible and, in the case of any argument, considering its best, strongest possible interpretation. In its narrowest sense, the goal of this methodological principle is to avoid attributing irrationality, logical fallacies, or falsehoods to the others' statements, when a coherent, rational interpretation of the statements is available. According to Simon Blackburn, "it constrains the interpreter to maximize the truth or rationality in the subject's sayings."

If you applied it equally you might be onto something.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• 01G954R86AXFWMYVMMC8VHETQ8.jpeg

Comment

• If you eliminate fertilizers, I would think that a ban on pesticides and herbicides would be next.

If all chemicals were banned, then that would leave only purely organic farming as an alternative.

How much of a total cut do you think that would be in overall production of food supply if everything went strictly organic?

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                            If you eliminate fertilizers, I would think that a ban on pesticides and herbicides would be next.

If all chemicals were banned, then that would leave only purely organic farming as an alternative.

How much of a total cut do you think that would be in overall production of food supply if everything went strictly organic?
                            I've seen figures ranging between 25 to 40% -- and that is assuming everything isn't consumed by pests.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Please add a descriptor of what this is
                              Sorry, it was a Dutch farmer explaining what is happening on the ground. Whom I trust more that the elites...
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I've seen figures ranging between 25 to 40% -- and that is assuming everything isn't consumed by pests.
                                There would be no possible way to feed 8 billion people that's for sure. That would definitely drive the population down.

Comment