Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Latest in virtue signaling -- New Zealand to change its name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Do they still exist?
    They are for sale on Amazon still.
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I am a devout user of Google maps, going all the way down to "street view." It is actually a way to travel the world in an age when travelling can be difficult, expensive or dangerous. I visited Yellowknife Canada the other day. Boring place, though.

I also visited Dontesk Ukraine, although the map was from 2014. Funny how most houses there have walls or fences facing the access streets. This seems to be rather common throughout eastern Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        I am a devout user of Google maps, going all the way down to "street view." It is actually a way to travel the world in an age when travelling can be difficult, expensive or dangerous. I visited Yellowknife Canada the other day. Boring place, though.

I also visited Dontesk Ukraine, although the map was from 2014. Funny how most houses there have walls or fences facing the access streets. This seems to be rather common throughout eastern Europe.
        Last time I used Google maps it took me to a restaurant's home office rather than to the restaurant. Same thing when I was looking for a Best Buys close by.

At least in the first case, they gave me a card for $5 off my meal.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Last time I used Google maps it took me to a restaurant's home office rather than to the restaurant. Same thing when I was looking for a Best Buys close by.

At least in the first case, they gave me a card for $5 off my meal.
          Oh, if I am trying to locate something nearby I use my phone GPS. Yes, Google Maps isn't the best for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That would be Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, thank you very much.

It irks me when people refer to a place as Name Of City, Canada, instead of Name Of City, Province. Americans seem particularly prone to doing this.

You don’t hear me or anybody else ever saying things like Name Of City, United States of America.

"I wonder how my friends in Spokane, United States of America, are doing?"

See how dumb it sounds?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It irks me when people refer to a place as Name Of City, Canada, instead of Name Of City, Province. Americans seem particularly prone to doing this.

You don’t hear me or anybody else ever saying things like Name Of City, United States of America.

See how dumb it sounds?
              Canuckistanis getting all uppity thinking they are like us 'Muricans is so adorable.

Anywho... time to go um do something in the basement until the safety checks are complete on my portals

smiley hide.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

See how dumb it sounds?
                That would be due to the fact that the whole of Canada is actually just the 51st state of the USA, and as such, we treat it the way we do a state.

Comment

See how dumb it sounds?
                  You know, I was about to do that but thought that most non-Canadians wouldn't recognize Northwest Territories.

Honestly (ignorantly) I didn't realize there was a province called "Nunavut." I thought that whole area was Northwest Territories.

Stupid American.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

That would be due to the fact that the whole of Canada is actually just the 51st state of the USA, and as such, we treat it the way we do a state.

Yeah, nope.

But nice try.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      People here in NZ virtue signaling with respect to Maori tends to really grind my gears and Maori-related issues are pretty much the only things I'm straight-out conservative on. Yes, one of their latest annoying ideas is to change the country name. There's no chance it would get majority support but it winds people up (me included).

BTW the accepted phrasing is that people live "in" the North Island not "on" it, same as you live "in" the US not "on" it.
                      Welcome to the Dark Side.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        The state of race relations here is in a very different place compared to the US. In some ways the Maori here are comparable to Native Americans and/or African Americans, but in other ways they are not.

They were never treated remotely as brutally as those groups in the US, reparations have since been paid for what damage was done, and they have an entrenched political advantage within the democratic system that has made them arbiters of their outcomes of a few recent elections. However they remain overrepresented in the crime statistics and remain a poorly-off socioeconomic group.

As a progressive I am happy that the poor be helped, and I have no issues with targeted support for a disadvantaged group (e.g. Maori). I am fine with government spending and social programs in their general direction.

However, there is the bizarre belief among some that cultural appropriation is key, and that if only more white people speak a few phrases of Maori in corporate meetings with other white people, then somehow Maori people would stop getting drunk and beating their wives or something. The 'logic' of it, if there is any, eludes me, but there is a strong push for more use of and teaching of the Maori language and for white people to learn about Maori culture. I remain mystified as to what anyone thinks is the value of this is, or how it is supposed to improve anything.
                        I always thought white people doing the Haka (like the football players) was a bit of cultural appropriation and looks bad. Kinda of like white guys doing Hip Hop.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I always thought white people doing the Haka (like the football players) was a bit of cultural appropriation and looks bad. Kinda of like white guys doing Hip Hop.
                          I'll try to dig up the movie where the protagonists are sitting in a village pub in rural Scotland where the band performing is clearly rapping -- several years before rap/hip hop developed here.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I'll try to dig up the movie where the protagonists are sitting in a village pub in rural Scotland where the band performing is clearly rapping -- several years before rap/hip hop developed here.
                            And I should add that cornrows (hairstyle) were worn by white women centuries before it became a "black thing."

lf.jpg
                            A tetradrachm (silver coin) dating to 36B.C. depicting Cleopatra, who was the
                            product of a long line of Greek rulers marrying their sisters, with her hair in cornrows.

Comment