Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WHO declares monkeypox a global health emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some things you just can't make up.

Dr. Michael Osterholm, who was on Biden's COVID-19 Advisory Board, appeared midweek on CBS Mornings where he informed the host, Jericka Duncan, that Monkeypox is mostly confined to gay men who have had several sexual partners.

That did not go over well despite it being a fact. Duncan obviously rejected his statement and tried to get him to modify it:

"This is not just men and women or homosexuals having sex, this could be someone who's heterosexual although, you're saying that's the majority. But, what is -- what needs to be done I guess to make sure that that group is not ostracized when trying to get the help that they need?"

Osterholm was having none of it and coolly informed Duncan that his job is "to call balls and strikes. Just tell it like it is." He tried to explain to her that vaccines are limited so they need to be distributed to those who are most at risk.

Similarly, over on ABC's Good Morning America, the network's medical advisor, Dr. Jennifer Ashton, who is an Ob-Gyn, was apparently reading from the same script as she grumbled about how that such politically incorrect talk could lead to "a community being stigmatized" and added, "We should be focusing more on behavior, not a community. Terminology matters."

I'm sure these journalists would have been equally concerned about stigmatizing a community if some disease was sweeping through Christians or conservatives.

In any case, something to remember the next time you hear how they are following the science.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Dr. Michael Osterholm, who was on Biden's COVID-19 Advisory Board, appeared midweek on CBS Mornings where he informed the host, Jericka Duncan, that Monkeypox is mostly confined to gay men who have had several sexual partners.

That did not go over well despite it being a fact. Duncan obviously rejected his statement and tried to get him to modify it:

"This is not just men and women or homosexuals having sex, this could be someone who's heterosexual although, you're saying that's the majority. But, what is -- what needs to be done I guess to make sure that that group is not ostracized when trying to get the help that they need?"

Osterholm was having none of it and coolly informed Duncan that his job is "to call balls and strikes. Just tell it like it is." He tried to explain to her that vaccines are limited so they need to be distributed to those who are most at risk.

Similarly, over on ABC's Good Morning America, the network's medical advisor, Dr. Jennifer Ashton, who is an Ob-Gyn, was apparently reading from the same script as she grumbled about how that such politically incorrect talk could lead to "a community being stigmatized" and added, "We should be focusing more on behavior, not a community. Terminology matters."

I'm sure these journalists would have been equally concerned about stigmatizing a community if some disease was sweeping through Christians or conservatives.

In any case, something to remember the next time you hear how they are following the science.
      Expect "the science" to change (or go silent) to shield the politics.

Comment

What makes these people think that having multiple partners of a particular persuasion is not a matter of behaviour?
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

mpox.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Can't find it but a day or two ago on my local npr, the host was trying desperately to say that there are other ways besides gay sex that monkeypox spreads, but the doctor they had on had to keep correcting them that no, even being in the same household your chance is low unless you're having sex, and that no, you can't get it just by touching someone you'd need to be rubbing against them vigorously and break your skin and their blisters at the same time, and no, this is pretty much exclusively a disease spreading between men who have sex with men and they're the ones that need the limited vaccines

Comment

Comment

Given the hysteria over monkeypox, has anyone actually died from it?
                "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Okay I've seen this thread title far too many times to resist a dad joke.

"I dont know, who does?"

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                    Given the hysteria over monkeypox, has anyone actually died from it?
                    FWIU, not here in the U.S., and Europe had their second death last week (both were in Spain I believe).

Comment

FWIU, not here in the U.S., and Europe had their second death last week (both were in Spain I believe).
                      I haven't met anyone firsthand or down the pike who has even had it. This is a pure bogeyman disease.
                      Last edited by Ronson; 08-06-2022, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking the government-medical-industrial complex had gotten to the addicted to the attention and power they had with Covid and are now looking for a replacement high.
                        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I haven't met anyone firsthand or down the pike who has even had it. This is a pure bogeyman disease.
                          The 2021 monkeypox simulation drill (which "accidentally" predicted the exact month the real monkeypox would be officially recognized) stated that it would get much worse the following year. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what awaits us in 2023. I imagine after the mid-terms, the pandemic fireworks will start back up again, I'm just not sure what virus they're going to exploit the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Yeah, and unless you have a very large group of gay and bisexual friends, it's highly unlikely you ever will.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

The 2021 monkeypox simulation drill (which "accidentally" predicted the exact month the real monkeypox would be officially recognized) stated that it would get much worse the following year. So I guess we'll have to wait and see what awaits us in 2023. I imagine after the mid-terms, the pandemic fireworks will start back up again, I'm just not sure what virus they're going to exploit the most.
                              Event 201 all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Event 201 all over again.
                                This was actually much more stark in comparison. Not only did they "accidentally" predict the exact month and pretty much the day (the WHO's official date for the real virus is May 13-15), but the real virus was first discovered in the UK. The fictitious country where it was first discovered in the simulation was called Brinia, which is an actual location (Brinian) in Scotland.

Comment