Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Chinese slave trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese slave trade

I'm not talking about the slave labor camps where Uyghurs are forced to make sneakers, clothing and other products to sell to the west.

I'm referring to an actual slave trade where women are bought and sold as "wives."

Source: The Exposure of China’s ‘Bought Wives’

A video of a chained woman kept in a shed went viral. Now a national campaign is under way to track down and rescue women unwillingly sold into marriage.

The one-minute video clip started circulating on Chinese social media last winter. A woman is shown in a shed with no door, dressed in a thin sweater. She is chained by the neck.

The footage set off a storm of social-media outrage: How in today’s China could a human being be treated this way? Many suspected she must be a “bought wife,” a reference to a long-held but illegal practice to help rural men find brides—often involving human traffickers who lure or abduct poor women from remote regions.

The furor in turn has set off a broader debate over how Chinese women are treated. The Communist leadership prides itself on promoting gender equality and officials frequently repeat a Mao Zedong quote: “Women hold up half the sky.” But many educated, urban Chinese women found in the chained woman’s misfortune a lens on their own roles in society.

Much of the initial anger had to do with the level of tolerance that at first led local officials to shrug off questions about the chained woman. Authorities in Xuzhou, in the southeastern Jiangsu province, at first denied she was a trafficking victim: She “lived apart from her family,” they said, because she was mentally ill and sometimes violent.

The outpouring has forced officials to acknowledge the continued trauma of bride-buying—as well as the level of tolerance that has persisted around it.

Later they confirmed the public’s suspicions. She had been sold as a bride not once, but twice, and had eight children. She was brought by traffickers from a poor corner of Yunnan province in southern China inhabited by members of the Lisu minority, whose names are often based on plants or animals. Authorities identified her as Xiaohuamei, a name that means Little Plum Blossom.

With the disclosures, her current husband was arrested and she was hospitalized. Jiangsu provincial authorities said in February that she was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and that her condition improved in the hospital but that she still wasn’t able to communicate; they have made no further comment.

Protest in China does not gather momentum often. In a country with little tolerance for street demonstrations, social media provides an outlet for discontent, but under tight controls; the government has battled any sign of a broader feminist awakening from this or other incidents, throwing feminist activists in jail or deleting their social-media accounts. Still, the outpouring over the chained woman catapulted the issue of bride-buying to the level of national soul searching.

For weeks and then months, images from the video have dominated China’s social media. The groundswell was reminiscent of the global #MeToo movement, which had been comparatively muted in China. In February it stole attention from the Beijing Winter Olympics. Over time it inspired poems, graffiti, memes and Andy Warhol-style portraits online.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

To nobody's surprise the easily triggered, ever-angry, green-haired, pierced everywhere, vagina hat-wearing feminists here have been quiet as church mice about this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

My understanding is that the CCP tolerates it to placate the rural areas. Turns out that when a culture that uses patrilineal descent is restricted to one child many families make sure that child is a boy. Twenty years later they figure out that he is useless for carrying on the family line without a wife. The families that can pay a bride price - the rest get desperate.

Now that China is in demographic collapse it benefits the CCP because the rural folks are the most likely to have multiple children.

It's pervasive to the point of self destruction.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      My understanding is that the CCP tolerates it to placate the rural areas. Turns out that when a culture that uses patrilineal descent is restricted to one child many families make sure that child is a boy. Twenty years later they figure out that he is useless for carrying on the family line without a wife. The families that can pay a bride price - the rest get desperate.

Now that China is in demographic collapse it benefits the CCP because the rural folks are the most likely to have multiple children.

It's pervasive to the point of self destruction.
      And feminists in the west are silent.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        And feminists in the west are silent.

They aren't feminists. Transhumanist weirdoes is probably closer. Well, weirdoes is definitely closer.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment