Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Thought Food Prices & Supply Chain Were Already Bad? Here Comes Truckpocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought Food Prices & Supply Chain Were Already Bad? Here Comes Truckpocalypse

SCOTUS' decision to not hear a challenge to California's AB-5 law means that it will go into effect within a week. The law will take over 70,000 independent contractor truckers off the road in the state of Colorado, further bottlenecking the supply chain that already had problems getting food and other goods from California's ports to throughout the country.

Hope everyone has stocked up nice and good, we look to be in for a rough ride, perhaps even worse than during the pandemic lockdowns, as that occurred with a recently-healthy supply chain. This one comes with a badly damaged one that has had many recent problems, on top of inflation, and even further on top of absurdly high diesel and gas prices.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...oad-cause-jams

A US Supreme Court decision that could force California’s 70,000 truck owner-operators to stop driving is set to create another choke point in already-stressed West Coast logistics networks, a truckers’ organization said.

“Gasoline has been poured on the fire that is our ongoing supply-chain crisis,” the California Trucking Association said in a statement following the Supreme Court’s decision to deny a judicial review of a decision of a lower court, a process known as certiorari.

“In addition to the direct impact on California’s 70,000 owner-operators who have seven days to cease long-standing independent businesses, the impact of taking tens of thousands of truck drivers off the road will have devastating repercussions on an already fragile supply chain, increasing costs and worsening runaway inflation,” the CTA said.

The association asked the Supreme Court for a review of a case challenging California’s Assembly Bill 5, a law that sets out three tests to determine whether a worker is an employee entitled to job benefits or an independent contractor who isn’t. The trucking industry relies on contractors, and has fought to be exempt from state regulations for years because of federal law.

With few exceptions, the relationship between independent truckers and their carriers, brokers and shippers will be governed by the tests.

“We are disappointed the court does not recognize the irrevocable damage eliminating independent truckers will have on interstate commerce and communities across the state,” the association said.

California’s transportation industry is already taking action to see how business models will fit the new paradigm, Harbor Trucking Association Chief Executive Officer Matt Schrap said.

“This will have a profound effect on driver supply, at least here in the interim,” he said in an interview on Bloomberg Television Friday, adding that many entrepreneurs use the contract model as pathway for opportunities in trucking. “We’ve got many companies who have been planning for this, but we’ll see how the chips fall.”

https://www.westernstandard.news/new...4d8a1d3f5.html

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    SCOTUS' decision to not hear a challenge to California's AB-5 law means that it will go into effect within a week. The law will take over 70,000 independent contractor truckers off the road in the state of Colorado, further bottlenecking the supply chain that already had problems getting food and other goods from California's ports to throughout the country.

Hope everyone has stocked up nice and good, we look to be in for a rough ride, perhaps even worse than during the pandemic lockdowns, as that occurred with a recently-healthy supply chain. This one comes with a badly damaged one that has had many recent problems, on top of inflation, and even further on top of absurdly high diesel and gas prices.

https://www.westernstandard.news/new...4d8a1d3f5.html
    California Port shut down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...port-rcna39269

Trucker protest over gig worker law shuts down operations at California port The truckers have been protesting Assembly Bill 5, a gig economy law passed in 2019 that made it harder for companies to classify workers as independent contractors instead of employees, who are entitled to minimum wage and benefits such as overtime and sick pay.

OAKLAND, Calif. — Truckers protesting a state labor law effectively shut down cargo operations at the Port of Oakland, it was announced Wednesday.

“The shutdown will further exacerbate the congestion of containers” and port officials are urging operations at shipping terminals to resume, a port statement said.

The protest that began Monday involves hundreds of independent big-rig truckers that have blocked the movement of cargo in and out of terminals at the port, which is one of the 10 busiest container ports in the country, according to its website.

There was no immediate word on when the protest might end but it’s exacerbating supply-chain issues that already have led to cargo ship traffic jams at major ports and stockpiled goods on the dock.

The protest comes as toymakers and other industries enter their peak season for imports as retailers stockpile goods for the fall holidays and back-to-school items.

The truckers are protesting Assembly Bill 5, a gig economy law passed in 2019 that made it harder for companies to classify workers as independent contractors instead of employees, who are entitled to minimum wage and benefits such as workers compensation, overtime and sick pay.

Comment

Every time I go to the nearby big-box grocery store I pick up an extra box of canned goods. I probably have enough stocked up to last one person six months, so I need to do some more work since I have a household of five.

I have to say, though, I don't believe much of my food comes from California. Avocados and oranges?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        Every time I go to the nearby big-box grocery store I pick up an extra box of canned goods. I probably have enough stocked up to last one person six months, so I need to do some more work since I have a household of five.

I have to say, though, I don't believe much of my food comes from California. Avocados and oranges?
        Actually quite a bit of food comes beyond avocados (not even top 10) and oranges:
        https://fruitgrowers.com/top-10-agri...in-california/

But this is beyond that - a lot of food from overseas comes through Cali ports.

Comment

I've been rather lax in stocking up. I have enough food to get my family through a few weeks if we ate a lot of rice and beans. Maybe I'm in denial, but it's hard for me to believe that we'll reach a point where I'll be forced to depend only on what food I have in my home.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Actually quite a bit of food comes beyond avocados (not even top 10) and oranges:
            https://fruitgrowers.com/top-10-agri...in-california/

But this is beyond that - a lot of food from overseas comes through Cali ports.
            Of that list, dairy (cheese) and tomatoes would be my shortfall. But I am mostly a glutton for avocados.

The Midwest produces quite a bit of food; we have farmer markets on most intersections in town every weekend. Of course, if all else dried up, those markets would get depleted quickly. That's why I am getting canned food.

Comment