Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boris Johnson stepping down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And parodies. Cassetteboy does some very clever and amusing takes..

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Well, yet another stepping down, his replacement Liz Truss is stepping down a mere 44 days after obtaining the office.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63332037

Liz Truss resigns: PM's exit kicks off another Tory leadership race

Liz Truss has resigned as prime minister after 45 days in office marked by turmoil, triggering the second Tory leadership election in four months.
      Ms Truss said her successor would be elected by next week after a rebellion by Tory MPs forced her to quit.

Boris Johnson is among MPs said to be considering bids but Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has ruled himself out.

Tory MPs revolted against Ms Truss after a series of U-turns on her economic plan sapped her of authority.

In a brief speech outside Downing Street, Ms Truss said the Conservative Party had elected her on a mandate to cut taxes and boost economic growth.

But given the situation, Ms Truss said: "I recognise that I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected by the Conservative Party."

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and other opposition parties called for an immediate general election following Ms Truss's resignation speech.

Ms Truss said she would remain in post until a successor formally takes over as party leader and is appointed prime minister by King Charles.

While Mr Hunt - who was appointed chancellor last week - will not challenge for the leadership, none of the candidates who stood against Ms Truss in the previous contest have indicated whether they would stand.

Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the 1922 committee of backbench Conservative MPs, said a new leader could be chosen by next Friday.

Under party rules, leadership hopefuls will need to secure the support of 100 MPs in order to enter the contest - this means a maximum of three candidates can stand.

A first ballot will be held among MPs and the person with the lowest number of votes will be eliminated, if there are three candidates.

If a second ballot is needed, MPs will be able to signal who they prefer through an indicative vote.

And if both candidates opt to stay in the race, the final decision will go to party members via an online vote.

Ms Truss will become the shortest-serving PM in British history when she stands down.

Comment

• She implemented financial changes of which she had no mandate, and crashed the economy further than it was already. And now she's unpopular, they're trying to find someone else to replace her, but not going for a general election, because they'd be smashed. Awful, awful conservative party.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
          She implemented financial changes of which she had no mandate, and crashed the economy further than it was already. And now she's unpopular, they're trying to find someone else to replace her, but not going for a general election, because they'd be smashed. Awful, awful conservative party.
          From my understanding, she offered up market solutions and reduced government which excited numerous conservatives, but then tried implementing them completely backassward. Of course, that led to catastrophic results, and pretty much destroyed such an option for the next generation given what happened.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I predict Boris will come back, and will continue not combing his hair.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From my understanding, she offered up market solutions and reduced government which excited numerous conservatives, but then tried implementing them completely backassward. Of course, that led to catastrophic results, and pretty much destroyed such an option for the next generation given what happened.
              She wanted to cut taxes AND offer a form of government stimulus at the same time the central bank was tightening because of inflation. IOW, because she was offering tax cuts, not only did she have no way to fund government spending, but had no financial backing for her additional government stimulus projects. You either need a central bank to print the money you can borrow (which is not possible when the bank is tightening because of inflation) or you need to drastically increase taxes. She had neither, I suspect because she's (and that yahoo economist advisor she picked) completely clueless about even basic economics.

Comment

• Most politicians are clueless when it comes to the economy, and those that aren't use their position to manipulate things in their favor regardless of what it does to the rest of the country
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I predict Boris will come back, and will continue not combing his hair.
                  Given that earlier this year 70% of voters wanted him out and at least one Tory MP has threatened to resign if he is re-selected - the British political situation declines ever further into farce. We just look on with bemusement.

As EvoUK noted, for the Tories, having an general election now would be electoral suicide and the Tory party is very good at clinging to power at any price.

The belief that Johnson could reignite popular support is coming on the back of his own scandals and incompetence [plus an ongoing investigation into his behaviour] and that has only been compounded by the disastrous six weeks of Truss which has seen an already weak economy further trashed by her incompetence.

Will electors, who are going continue to see their mortgages rise, their food costs rise, their fuel bills rise [after the government support is removed in April 2023] and their healthcare system decline ever further, be mollified by Johnson's ebullient clownish buffoonery?

However, we know from the USA that serial liars, narcissists, and incompetents often prove very popular with swathes of the electorate,
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Given that earlier this year 70% of voters wanted him out and at least one Tory MP has threatened to resign if he is re-selected - the British political situation declines ever further into farce. We just look on with bemusement.

As EvoUK noted, for the Tories, having an general election now would be electoral suicide and the Tory party is very good at clinging to power at any price.

The belief that Johnson could reignite popular support is coming on the back of his own scandals and incompetence [plus an ongoing investigation into his behaviour] and that has only been compounded by the disastrous six weeks of Truss which has seen an already weak economy further trashed by her incompetence.

Will electors, who are going continue to see their mortgages rise, their food costs rise, their fuel bills rise [after the government support is removed in April 2023] and their healthcare system decline ever further, be mollified by Johnson's ebullient clownish buffoonery?

However, we know from the USA that serial liars, narcissists, and incompetents often prove very popular with swathes of the electorate,
                    I find it funny that Boris's covid parties often get brought up, but in the states it was the democrats who were mandating lockdowns, then repeatedly breaking their own rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I find it funny that Boris's covid parties often get brought up, but in the states it was the democrats who were mandating lockdowns, then repeatedly breaking their own rules.
                      The revelations of those parties were the proverbial cherry on the cake.

He lied to parliament, he failed to deal with individuals in his party over sexual and financial scandals, he later reneged on the agreement he had signed with the EU - his so called "oven ready deal" that helped bounce him to electoral victory in 2019, he went for the hardest Brexit with all the catastrophic impact that brought to the British economy, and he has failed to deliver his manifesto pledges to those "red wall" constituencies. His "levelling up" for regions of the country has never materialised; and given the present dire economic situation in England I suspect it never will.

Oh and of course he oversaw two Tory seats go to the opposition parties [one went back to Labour and one went to the Lib Dems] and a catastrophe for the Tories in the local elections including Westminster council going Labour.
                      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 10-21-2022, 05:50 AM.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I would be surprised if the prodder of bovine's remark was more than a little tongue-in-cheek

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Big time.

Biden passes a law requiring EVERYONE to wear a mask inside a federal building then he and his family turn around and stroll through a few all sans masks.

Governors and mayors passing draconian restrictions not allowing families to get together for a holiday while they attend crowded parties and dinners where there isn't a mask in sight.

Fauci wears one out on a pitchers mound to throw out the first ball in a baseball game and then is seen in the stands laughing it up and having a good time where he, his wife and buddy have their masks hanging around their neck.

It was a pattern repeated across the country over and over.

Rules for thee, none for me.

Comment

I would be surprised if the prodder of bovine's remark was more than a little tongue-in-cheek
                            Then again, given that Chancellor Jeremy Hunt and Foreign Secretary James Cleverly appear to have taken there name out of contention and Boris Johnson expected to make sensational bid to return as PM 2 months after ousting, who knows.

Comment

• I have two take-aways from Liz Truss's resignation.

1. White males do not have a monopoly on spectacular failures.
                              2. Putting a woman in charge does not guarantee a better result.

Both of these go against current societal teachings. Maybe we can start stopping looking at race and gender as factors for leadership and go for the really important one: compentance.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                                I have two take-aways from Liz Truss's resignation.

1. White males do not have a monopoly on spectacular failures.
                                2. Putting a woman in charge does not guarantee a better result.

Both of these go against current societal teachings. Maybe we can start stopping looking at race and gender as factors for leadership and go for the really important one: compentance.
                                Hairy-tick.jpg

Comment