Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Natural gas and nuclear now green...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural gas and nuclear now green...

Are they waking up to the fact wind and sun can not fuel a modern industrial economy?

EU parliament backs labelling gas and nuclear investments as green

BRUSSELS, July 6 (Reuters) - The European Parliament on Wednesday backed EU rules labelling investments in gas and nuclear power plants as climate-friendly, throwing out an attempt to block the law that has exposed deep rifts between countries over how to fight climate change.

The vote paves the way for the European Union proposal to pass into law, unless 20 of the bloc's 27 member states decide to oppose the move, which is seen as very unlikely.

The new rules will add gas and nuclear power plants to the EU "taxonomy" rulebook from 2023, enabling investors to label and market investments in them as green.

Out of 639 lawmakers present, 328 opposed a motion that sought to block the EU gas and nuclear proposals.

https://www.reuters.com/business/sus...es-2022-07-06/
    Traitors

Oil from U.S. reserves sent overseas as gasoline prices stay high

HOUSTON, July 5 (Reuters) - More than 5 million barrels of oil that were part of a historic U.S. emergency reserves release to lower domestic fuel prices were exported to Europe and Asia last month, according to data and sources, even as U.S. gasoline and diesel prices hit record highs.

https://www.reuters.com/business/ene...gh-2022-07-05/
    Last edited by seer; 07-06-2022, 01:05 PM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

This while they're simultaneously firing up old coal-powered plants

Russia is squeezing Europe’s gas supplies, sparking a bitter and reluctant return to coal

Europe snaps up coal from abroad to fill gap left by Russia

I wonder if the Paris Climate Accord has a provision for that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One of the countries Joe is sending our strategic oil reserve to is China.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I wonder if the Paris Climate Accord has a provision for that.
        It does now!

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          One of the countries Joe is sending our strategic oil reserve to is China.
          How can he do that! There is something really wrong here!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

It does now!

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How can he do that! There is something really wrong here!
              I was under the impression that was strictly forbidden.

But then again, it's not supposed to be used to help the president when he gets in political hot water either, and both sides have done that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I was under the impression that was strictly forbidden.

But then again, it's not supposed to be used to help the president when he gets in political hot water either, and both sides have done that.
                At least keep the oil here!

Comment

Anyone who complains about high gas prices should not complain about the US selling oil from the strategic oil reserve, because that would be hypocritical.

And given that our refineries are running at full capacity, you shouldn't complain about some of the oil going overseas, either. Oil that doesn't get refined is not going to bring down gas prices.

And since oil is fungible, you shouldn't worry about which countries are getting it. If it can't go to China, then China will buy someone else's oil, and whoever would have bought THAT oil will then buy ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                    Anyone who complains about high gas prices should not complain about the US selling oil from the strategic oil reserve, because that would be hypocritical.

And given that our refineries are running at full capacity, you shouldn't complain about some of the oil going overseas, either. Oil that doesn't get refined is not going to bring down gas prices.

And since oil is fungible, you shouldn't worry about which countries are getting it. If it can't go to China, then China will buy someone else's oil, and whoever would have bought THAT oil will then buy ours.
                    But this is not bringing down our prices, Biden should not have tapped the reserve, and he should not send it over seas. Of course the answer is to build more refineries for future shortages. This will not play well with the American people. Another unforced error...

Comment

Do you have any idea what the Strategic Oil Reserve even is and why not only unecessarily depleting it but selling it off to other countries is an astoundingly stupid policy decision?

Also, the claim that "our refineries are running at full capacity" is misleading because it leaves out important context: they are running at full capacity as allowed by the EPA which is below their actual full capacity, and a number of smaller refineries have been forced to close since Joe took office because of crippling regulations.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Nuclear power supported by greenies? Has anyone let Martin Sheen know about this?

sheen.jpg

Comment

Oil prices (together with gasoline prices) should start coming down at the end of summer in any regard. OPEC doesn't like super high prices because governments and companies begin looking for other sources of energy (they don't want that!), and it hurts world economies so it disrupts their production. U.S. companies are recovering from the covid lockdowns and they have already predicted that production/refining will be more on track later this year. Plus, summer peak driving/demand will diminish.

I doubt it will ever get back under $3 a gallon, but maybe an average of $3.50 will be sustainable? Better than what we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            Nuclear power supported by greenies? Has anyone let Martin Sheen know about this?

sheen.jpg
                            Nuclear energy has picked up support in some quarters of the green movement -- as this demonstrates.

Comment

But this is not bringing down our prices,
                              Bringing down prices, keeping prices from going even higher, whatever...

Biden should not have tapped the reserve, and he should not send it over seas.
                              Did you complain about it when the plan was announced?

It seems to me that most of the public was in favor of any action that would put downward pressure on gas prices.

Of course the answer is to build more refineries for future shortages. This will not play well with the American people. Another unforced error...
                              So, are you suggesting that the government should get into the oil refining business? I thought "more government" as a solution was generally frowned upon by conservatives.

Comment