Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Tale of Brittney Griner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Griner convicted, sentenced to nine years in prison with time served.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...-years-prison/
    Nine years seems a bit rough...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Perhaps by our judicial standards, but it seems to be a pretty typical sentence in Russia for Griner's crime.

In 2019, an Israeli woman was caught with nine grams of marijuana and sentenced to seven and a half years in prison.

https://reason.com/2019/10/11/russia...-grams-of-pot/

And just a month ago, in June 2022, a US citizen working as an English teacher in Russia was sentenced to 14 years for 17g of marijuana which he claimed was for medicinal use (of course he's not a WNBA basketball player, so he's not getting the same press coverage as Griner).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61849579

Russia apparently takes this sort of thing very seriously.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

It certainly is, especially for simple possession of a plant extract, but in perspective, our own country has some absurd sentences including for marijuana purchase or possession, especially if it's your "third strike". So we don't have much to stand on.

Like.... life in prison for stealing some hedge clippers (this guy managed to get parole after 2 decades).
        https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...arole-n1243757

Life in prison for stealing 20 bucks and a pack of cigarettes.
        https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...051-story.html

Or life in prison for buying weed. https://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/opini...-life-sentence

Comment

Maybe they'll let her out early if she promises to become a Russian citizen and plays on their Olympic basketball team.

Comment

After the conviction Putin is indicating he is open to a prisoner swap.

Russian foreign minister Lavrov says Kremlin ‘ready to discuss’ Griner prisoner swap

Meanwhile there are an estimated 40,000 Americans locked up here for non-violent marijuana-offenses -- many in states where it is now legal. Even if you figure that 90% were for trafficking-related offenses, that still leaves 4000 behind bars for doing essentially what Griner did.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              After the conviction Putin is indicating he is open to a prisoner swap.

Russian foreign minister Lavrov says Kremlin ‘ready to discuss’ Griner prisoner swap

Meanwhile there are an estimated 40,000 Americans locked up here for non-violent marijuana-offenses -- many in states where it is now legal. Even if you figure that 90% were for trafficking-related offenses, that still leaves 4000 behind bars for doing essentially what Griner did.
              There's also the teacher I mentioned earlier, sentenced by Russia in June of this year to 14 years for committing the same crime as Giner. I doubt Joe is going to do anything for him.

Comment

There's also the teacher I mentioned earlier, sentenced by Russia in June of this year to 14 years for committing the same crime as Giner. I doubt Joe is going to do anything for him.
                A second American has been brought up as supposedly being part of any deal, but I'm not sure who.

ETA: Paul Whelan
                Last edited by rogue06; 08-06-2022, 06:02 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Mark Fogel from Oakmont in the Pittsburgh area. 17g of medical marijuana prescribed for back pain. Sentenced to 14 years of hard labor.

Middle-aged non-famous white guy, so not interesting to the media.

Edit to add: LJ did a segment with his sister. She's speaking cautiously, but it sounds like the Admin. is spinning on their collective thumbs. Sounds like Mark is not doing well. They have very little communication with him.
                    Last edited by NorrinRadd; 08-07-2022, 12:43 AM.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Joe stares down Putin and blinks: Brittney "The Pothead" Griner was released today in exchange for Russian arms dealer Viktor "The Merchant of Death" Bout. Joe could have gotten decorated Marine Paul Whelan released instead, but, no, he chose the pothead, claiming that she "represents the best of America".

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...r-viktor-bout/

Apparently all the other American citizens who were convicted for the same crime as Griner will be left to rot in a Russian prison.

Comment

Joe stares down Putin and blinks: Brittney "The Pothead" Griner was released today in exchange for Russian arms dealer Viktor "The Merchant of Death" Bout. Joe could have gotten decorated Marine Paul Whelan released instead, but, no, he chose the pothead, claiming that she "represents the best of America".

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/202...r-viktor-bout/

Apparently all the other American citizens who were convicted for the same crime as Griner will be left to rot in a Russian prison.
                        318021376_539664781342385_1852593492469066742_n (1).jpg

Not that I want to see Griner still locked up, but of the two...

Comment

not that i want to see griner still locked up, but of the two...
                          smdh

Comment

The cynic in me figures 24 hours.

That's how long after either her release or her return that it takes before she starts complaining about America.

Comment

The cynic in me figures 24 hours.

That's how long after either her release or her return that it takes before she starts complaining about America.

Comment

Not that I want to see Griner still locked up, but of the two...
                                It's natural that the comparison would be made between these two.

Griner is a natural hero for Democrats, since she is lesbian, and willing to protest injustice by not being present for the national anthem before WNBA games, and doesn't want it played before sports anyway, since black people didn't even have rights when it was created.

Whelan is a natural hero for Republicans, since he is a former Marine, who was court-martialed for "attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement, wrongfully using another's social security number, and ten specifications of making and uttering checks without having sufficient funds in his account for payment", and given a bad-conduct discharge. And he was a Trump supporter.

Comment